Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is the flat market good or bad & What does the future hold ?
Flat has been good...we are headed higher 20 46.51%
Flat has been good....but look out below 7 16.28%
Flat has been bad....we are about to rally 5 11.63%
Flat has been bad .... And It's going lower from here 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Being philosophical is good. It lets me be stoic when bad things happen. It prevents me from jumping up and down and acting silly if good things come.

I did not vote for the reason I did not find the option that I like, as explained earlier.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
gone traveling

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1464036124.983439.jpg

It's all relative. What's are your broad market gains or losses since July 2014 excluding new money ?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of flat, improbable research showed that Kansas is considerably flatter than a pancake:

Improbable Research
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
You know how that ends, right?

It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done. A far, far better resting place that I go to than I've ever known.
No, That is a far as I got before my dog chewed up my "cliff notes". If I recall correctly, I failed the English exam too. But, then again I failed most exams in H.S. Got into Uni because my GC made a deal with the Uni to bring them some Olympic quality gymnasts. Dropped out of Uni, once the draft was over to seek my fortune. Retired at 33/34 and went back to finish up my bizness degree at 40. Graduated at the top of the class a few years later.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
No, That is a far as I got before my dog chewed up my "cliff notes". If I recall correctly, I failed the English exam too. But, then again I failed most exams in H.S. Got into Uni because my GC made a deal with the Uni to bring them some Olympic quality gymnasts. Dropped out of Uni, once the draft was over to seek my fortune. Retired at 33/34 and went back to finish up my bizness degree at 40. Graduated at the top of the class a few years later.

Your almost as bad as me. I only know of that quote from a Star Trek motion picture.... I hated books and especially ones that were shoved down me. I prefer the Reagan philosophy of "all info on one page". I had a World Lit class in which the college professor seemed to be a tad lazy and just repeated same exams year after year and a sorority house kept a file of them. I would "study" just long enough to remember the sequence of the M/C answers and would collect my A. Finals night I went over to get the answers and that was when I found out they did not have a copy as he kept all finals... Needless to say I had 3 A's and an F on my 4 exams and received a C for the course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Off-topic from an outlier, but re: good/bad times.

Almost no dog in the fight, but re: "money".

Ultra dull, uninteresting "investor", though you may not think of it that way... Since the early days, much of our money has been tied up in the banks in the form of CD's. Maybe not so good compared to smarter money, but along the way, no surprises... none.
A fair return through 2000, and then into IBonds from 2000 through 2003. Currently averaging about 5%. and no way to go lower, unless the government defaults.
Now content to spend the declining years watching the market intently... the way I watch a soccer match.

So... another chart:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg int rates.jpg (128.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

It's better than some possible scenarios and worse than others I guess...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #28

GDP is very low by historical standards. If that can rise just a bit, companies will make a bunch of money.

Interest rates rise, banks make a bunch. They have to loan out the money, so they make deals and companies start.

If wages go up, and they will if we can begin to get 'stuff' made here, companies can make a bunch too. Just like when Henry Ford increased wages.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
How about "Flat is flat and although we can take an educated guess, we don't know what is coming"?
Flat is flat, I want the bull market back ..

It's a dividend play, since it went away .. ooh -ooh ..

What can we do?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #30

I took advantage of this flat market and sold some more cash covered puts.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
GDP is very low by historical standards. If that can rise just a bit, companies will make a bunch of money.

Interest rates rise, banks make a bunch. They have to loan out the money, so they make deals and companies start.

If wages go up, and they will if we can begin to get 'stuff' made here, companies can make a bunch too. Just like when Henry Ford increased wages.
What if the stuff is made by robots .

http://fortune.com/2016/05/26/foxcon...robot-workers/

Self driving cars and trucks, robots taking fast food orders, robo-advisors replacing financial advisors... robots even make the robots ..

I think there's a lot of labor replacement happening over the next few decades via automation and it will be interesting to see how that increased efficiency and productivity impacts general wealth globally...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

All relative to what you were invested in. Market has been very friendly to me over the last few years, hopping for a bit of a pullback at this point to get more of the good stuff on sale!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #33

I got a chance to check my husband's account. It's at an all time high. I'm glad I made a bit of modification in April.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #34

Didn't vote as no option available. My prediction is despite the plethora of research on behavioral finance, investors will never cease to make predictions.

Does Your Mindset Affect Retirement Income Decisions? | RR

Quote:
The fields of behavioral finance and behavioral economics have uncovered various biases humans have which are great for day-to-day survival, but somewhat maladaptive for long-term investing.