Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is the flat market good or bad & What does the future hold ?
Flat has been good...we are headed higher 20 46.51%
Flat has been good....but look out below 7 16.28%
Flat has been bad....we are about to rally 5 11.63%
Flat has been bad .... And It's going lower from here 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is the flat market "good times" or "bad times"
Old 05-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
gone traveling

Poll: Is the flat market "good times" or "bad times"

Discussion continues on market being flat for last 2 years. Perhaps mods can add this poll in .

Poll: The flat market at 2000 on SP500, first hit in July 2014 continues. Nearing 2 years of essentially flat market. Do you consider the flat market "good times"... The market could have fallen. Or "bad times"...will we ever get out of neutral....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about "Flat is good, and it is likely to stay this way for a few more years"?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about "Flat is flat and although we can take an educated guess, we don't know what is coming"?
Old 05-23-2016, 02:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you believe in mean reversion then flat after several years of ~15% compound annual gains has to be good because we can revert in only two ways: either slow and steady or fast and painful.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Is the flat market &quot;good times&quot; or &quot;bad times&quot;

The market has been perfect the last 2 years... Making very good money in preferred stocks due to the low interest money environment. Like shooting fish in a barrel. But as Gone said its all relative. It wasnt like I rode the stock market successfully previous 5 years then flipped to preferreds. I never had much in stock market prior, mostly CDs and IBonds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #6

For us, what defines good times or bad times is family. We have everything we need and everyone is healthy, so times are good.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Flat is good for us. Still accumulating.

A flat market may give way to a downtrend or uptrend. Interesting charts on this page:

Schwab Sector Views: Tech Hits Some Turbulence, But Will It Last?

Small business confidence index is trending down. I believe many on this forum are affected by, or aware of, this trend.
Even more important, family is doing fine. A niece just married. We're going overseas. Confidence is high enough that we spent $50K on a car and two HVAC systems.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.- Charles Dickens
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #9

I have no idea but hoping it's going lower.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.- Charles Dickens
Loved that book! And what a start to a story!

A Tale of Two Cities - my first exposure to the French Revolution. Wow - Dickens did a historical work*! I think the rest were all contemporary (Victorian).

*there was one other, but it wasn't popular enough to get much exposure.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
How about "Flat is flat and although we can take an educated guess, we don't know what is coming"?
That would be me.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I did not answer the poll because the market has NOT BEEN FLAT FOR 2 YEARS. Here is M* chart for the SP500 fund (VFIAX) for the last 2 years:

Does this look flat to anyone?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #13

You must be an enginerds or Aspergers as papa suggested in another thread.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.- Charles Dickens
You know how that ends, right?

It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done. A far, far better resting place that I go to than I've ever known.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

Neither good nor bad. A flat market to me means it will be going up in the future or it went too high in the past. Either way all part of the plan.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #16

A simple trend line drawn with Excel shows up trend. Of course you could use other trend calcs and show something else. I used month end data for VFINX.

Myself, I was believing it was flatish.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (14.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #17

In the view that the market isn't as high as it will ever ever ever be, flat is good because I'm buying shares of XYZ for less than they will sell for in 20 years.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #18

A trading range market (not exactly flat) means that the signs for future corporate earnings growth are evenly balanced by signs that future earnings will fall. We don't know if the range will break to the upside or the downside. That will be determined by as yet unknown future economic activity and earnings.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Markets are neither good nor bad, no matter how they perform. They simply are. Your label depends on your perception.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #20

Now we are getting more philosophical. Negative is bad for retirement. Positive is good for retirement.