Join Early Retirement Today

Poor performance of FSIIX
Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poor performance of FSIIX

Looks like it was not a good idea to start investing in FSIIX - Fidelity's International Index fund in 2014. As of this morning, it's down 5.01% YTD. But what's really unusual is the 1 Yr performance is listed as down 0.09%. According to my balance - the 5.01% number seems more realistic. With only a few hours left of trading this year - it will be interesting to see how it wraps up!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did any dividends get issued? Perhaps those are calculated in one number, and not another.

Or, last year 12/31 was a doozy?

As I allocate and adjust my portfolio, I am having a difficult time finding a reason to hold any international equity. Any S&P fund is exposed to a lot of international performance, just by definition.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Hang in there.

Foreign Stocks For The Long Run
Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Morningstar has -5.01% YTD and -4.85% for the past 1 year. Their total return numbers are pretty reliable.
FSIIX Fidelity Spartan International Idx Inv Fund FSIIX Quote Price News

Now you have an opportunity to add a bit more. Funds that underperform one year, often recover the next. But you never know. If you follow the Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns you get a picture of how asset classes perform year by year, and how some are at the top one year are at the bottom the next, and vice versa. International is "MSCI EAFE" https://www.callan.com/research/files/757.pdf

By the time if feels "safe" to invest in international stocks, it will be too late - i.e. they will already have recovered in price.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Great illustration from Onwards link of how an allocation to foreign stocks can reduce volatility of a portfolio holding US stocks, while only lowering the total return slightly:

Efficient frontier of US stocks and foreign stocks from 1970 through October 2013
Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comments - it just reinforces my intention to diversify beyond US stocks. The total dollar amount I've lost on the fund is not large - I'm staying put for the long term. Maybe next year the S&P 500 will be down and this fund will do well.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

I signed up for an HSA and allocated 25% to Vanguard Total International Stock Index Admiral shares.

Shanghai index was up 27% for 2014 and most Asian equity indices were up. So it must have been the European indices which were down?

Hoping they rebound this year.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

As I allocate and adjust my portfolio, I am having a difficult time finding a reason to hold any international equity. Any S&P fund is exposed to a lot of international performance, just by definition.

As I adjust, I'm having a tough time finding a reason to hold any US equity! Valuations on foreign markets are significantly cheaper than S&P, and most of those stocks are involved in US as well as foreign economies for their revenues.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

Most international funds underperformed this year. If a fund broke even, it did ok. I've added (rebalanced) a bit to international fund recently.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Buy low/sell high is a lot harder to practice than to talk about it. 'Nuf said.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Most international funds underperformed this year. If a fund broke even, it did ok. I've added (rebalanced) a bit to international fund recently.

+1

As part of my rebalancing, I just added to an ETF which is an index of foreign stocks.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #12

Glad you all are helping me stay the course for international. Hard to see the losses/zero gains vs my nice gains in the US stocks. Hope that 2015 does better in international.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

In my rebalancing I'm adding to my international funds as those are the only ones below target this year.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Looks like it was not a good idea to start investing in FSIIX - Fidelity's International Index fund in 2014. As of this morning, it's down 5.01% YTD. But what's really unusual is the 1 Yr performance is listed as down 0.09%. According to my balance - the 5.01% number seems more realistic. With only a few hours left of trading this year - it will be interesting to see how it wraps up!
The fund is OK, with performance very close to its index minus its expenses. The poor performance is just the stocks in it. International stocks have been a drag since 2007 for me, but I still have them in the same allocations. I've been rebalancing them as needed.

Look at the date in the Fidelity performance info: The 1 Yr -0.09% is as of 11/30/2014. There is also 4.15% listed lower down as of 9/30/2014. the snapshot page lists 1 Yr for quarter-end 9/30/2014. M* lists 5.01% as of 12/30/2014 in the snapshot Performance box, but uses some quarter end data elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Glad you all are helping me stay the course for international. Hard to see the losses/zero gains vs my nice gains in the US stocks. Hope that 2015 does better in international.
What goes up must come down. Eventually, that is.

What goes down, may come back up. May, because they occasionally go dead.

Not meaning to scare anybody here, but my pessimistic nature tends to see asymmetry in life, where bad things tend to occur a bit more often than good things. It's somewhat like entropy in thermodynamics.

That said, I am still hoping that the recent trend will reverse. Else, I would not have the following AA, as shown by Quicken.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What goes up must come down. Eventually, that is.

What goes down, may come back up. May, because they occasionally go dead.

Not meaning to scare anybody here, but my pessimistic nature tends to see asymmetry in life, where bad things tend to occur a bit more often than good things. It's somewhat like entropy in thermodynamics.

That said, I am still hoping that the recent trend will reverse. Else, I would not have the following AA, as shown by Quicken.

Where is the 200 pounds of gold? Is it under Other, or No Asset?

I think international, emerging markets will outperform US this year. It's my uneducated guess based on years of watching CNBC, Fox, and CNN analysts' mumbo jumbo. I solemnly predict, there is a 60% chance of the rest of world market outperforming US market, give or take 40%. I think.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Where is the 200 pounds of gold? Is it under Other, or No Asset?

Eh, it's off the book (under the mattress).

And I do not post photos of my RV.

Quote:
I think international, emerging markets will outperform US this year...
Next year, 2015, you mean?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have been tax loss harvesting international stocks funds/etf pretty consistently for the last few years. I'm hoping this is the last year I need to do so.

If you step back and look at the big picture over the long term, there is really no reason to think that international stocks are going to do any worse over the next 10 to 20 year compared to US stocks at the start of 2015 than they did at the start of 2014 and yet the US market is up about 14% and foreign stocks are down 5%.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Next year, 2015, you mean?
I was on Australia time zone ...

The truth is, I am looking forward to the next year and can't wait. Tick, tock, tick, tock, .... Happy new year to everyone!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I signed up for an HSA and allocated 25% to Vanguard Total International Stock Index Admiral shares.

Shanghai index was up 27% for 2014 and most Asian equity indices were up. So it must have been the European indices which were down?

Hoping they rebound this year.
Up 27% is probably in local currency and not US dollars. The Russian stock market is way up this year, too, but in rubles.