Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
I seek to avoid emotional "gut feeling" decisions and keep investing on auto pilot. Having said that, it's really tempting -- given pathetic bond yields -- to replace a portion of bond holdings with dividend stocks that are yielding just about as much as bonds and have some growth potential as well.
I completely agree that dividend stocks are a great alternative. But there is a risk that congress could increase the tax rate. That could have a negative impact on prices. I doubt it will happen except for very high income but you should be aware.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After the big run up over the last few years I've taken about 20% of my TBM fund and put it in my 401k stable value fund. The yield drops from 2.2% to 1.72% but I can live with that.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
it's really tempting -- given pathetic bond yields -- to replace a portion of bond holdings with dividend stocks that are yielding just about as much as bonds and have some growth potential as well.
Excellent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

1966-2006. Even owning high yield corp, REIT's, utility stocks et al, intermediate treas. and of course - psst Wellesley from time to time.

For better or worse I have retired from being a 'legend in my own mind'.

jan 2006 Target Retirement 2015. No guts no glory. Of late I try not to look. Full auto rebalancing and periodic deduct to checking. ER(jan 93 -jan 06) was a lot more frenetic when I had my hands on the throttle.

heh heh heh - ok so a few good stocks (less than 8%) to keep the hormones quelled til football season. .

And yes I am old enough to remember 'The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.'
Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

And yes I am old enough to remember 'The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.'
Me too.

And if you want a little more info on the skier that busted his a$$..........

nowhere for bonds to go but
Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

nowhere for bonds to go but

Down. Consider dividend paying stocks instead.

Thanks to the "great recession" the herd of dividend paying stocks that have continued to raise their dividends has been culled. Whats left are some very strong companies that, in my opinion, will continue to raise their dividends for the foreseeable future. With the right mix, you can get 3% right now with an increase of 5-10% per year. If its a retirement account, re-invest divvys and you are dollar cost averaging in case tax laws change and quality dividend stocks take a hit (which will raise their yield). My opinion is free u get what u pay for
Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #27

I like CDs too. Found one this week expiring in 10 years, 2.9%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
I like the suggestion of cd's, I wouldn't use that portion to instead invest in sector stocks or etf's. But, I'm extremely conservative.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm fighting that urge as well, knowing if I do swap some bond funds for a high dividend stock fund, equities will immediately tank - and dividend stocks will lead the decline...
BINGO! My thinking exactly. Months ago I quit reinvesting my Vanguard Total Bond Fund gains and dividends. Yesterday I sold out. Had the thing for years. Saw a nice run up. What to next? Who knows...