Join Early Retirement Today

Portfolio of 3 balanced funds vs 3 index funds
Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Portfolio of 3 balanced funds vs 3 index funds

Looking for others' thoughts on using three balanced funds vs rolling your own with three index funds.

I'm planning to retire in the spring and will be rolling over my 401k to my Vanguard tIRA. I have planned to move everything into the simple 3 fund portfolio like that advocated by Boglehead Taylor Larimore. (my AA: 35% US stock, 10% Int'l stock, 55% bonds). This is simple but still requires rebalancing. The idea of using a balanced fund to eliminate the need to rebalance is attractive. The thought that came to mind is using three balanced funds in equal proportions to achieve a similar AA. The three funds would be Balanced Index Adm VBIAX, Wellesley Adm VWIAX, and Target Retirement Income VTINX. This would add some diversity of managed vs index and still rebalance automatically. When withdrawals need to be made for living expenses, one would sell funds to reestablish equal value among the three, thus keeping the AA balanced. The historical performances of both approaches appear very similar, when calculated for my desired AA, so it's not a matter of trying to pick a winning fund. Is this worth considering further, or is it a foolish exercise?
boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not sure how well that would match your original AA, but it is OK to set up an AA of three balanced funds.

Ideally your three funds would behave as differently as possible, in order to maximize rebalancing benefits. Three balanced funds are unlikely to behave very differently. So you might miss a little extra boost there, but you also might save yourself some work.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Six of one... one-half dozen of the other except my guess is that the ER of the simple 3 fund portfolio is probably lower.

Another alternative would be to just use the Target Retirement fund that most closely correlates with a 45/55 AA and shift later if you don't like the glidepath AA. If all is tax-deferred this would be simplest as there is no need to rebalance and withdrawals don't affect the AA.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

This would add some diversity of managed vs index and still rebalance
automatically
Perhaps it's more diversified in a way, but rebalancing with 3 funds is pretty darn simple.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If these are in taxable accounts, you might be slightly better off with funds you re-balance yourself (or just don't bother - the data suggests there doesn't really seem to be much difference long term).

So rather than take whatever cap gains distributions the balanced funds kick off, you have a bit more control. If stocks are up, and you need to sell above/beyond divs/distributions, just sell a little of the stocks, which brings you more in balance. Or vice-versa as needed.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comments. I think I have an affliction where I try to make things more complicated than necessary - the Rube Goldberg method of investing.
boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Six of one... one-half dozen of the other except my guess is that the ER of the simple 3 fund portfolio is probably lower.

Another alternative would be to just use the Target Retirement fund that most closely correlates with a 45/55 AA and shift later if you don't like the glidepath AA. If all is tax-deferred this would be simplest as there is no need to rebalance and withdrawals don't affect the AA.

Exactly. And I do something very similar in my tax deferred at Vanguard where my core is a mix of Wellesley and Target Retirement Income (no glideslope) for a blend of managed vs. indexed with just enough Total Stock index added to achieve my desired AA. Yet in my Roth, at Fido, I elect to use their Spartan index funds for their low ER's so I'm really using both of the OP's considered approaches. In either case, a simple spreadsheet makes it easy to rebalance or to know what one's AA is across multiple balanced funds. So I'm not sure ease of rebalancing need be much of a determining factor. One advantage to the multiple balanced funds, however, is that you're somewhat spared from "seeing" the volatility of the underlying funds. A handy feature if one is prone to "messing with things".
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote