Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't sell the stocks my DH is attached to them. UGGGH. Pick my battles.

Second I'm not doing trailing stop loss. I'm okay losing 10% in fact in some stocks we lost more than 6 figures a few years ago in oil. Yes I had baby brain and let my DH lose A LOT of money. I'd rather not look at the statements because at that time we had a lot on our plate. It's water under the bridge.

I'm trying to ease him into not looking at any investments and get him off of beating the markets. We've been together 17 years and this stems from when we met and his mother telling him she's always done better.

Anyway it's moot and i've managed to wrestle control away and now I'm doing this slowly to not upset the boat.

Right now I"m thinking

BIIB tax
IJH tax 5%
VBR tax 5%
VEA tax 20%
VTI tax 20%
VINIX 401k 20%
VBTIX 401k 10%
VGSNX 401k 10%
VEMAX 401k 10%
Goog DH IRA
googl DH IRA
INTC DH IRA
PYPL DH IRA
UNP DH IRA
VYM DH IRA 10%
VXUS DH IRA 20%
DIS LAL IRA
IJH LAL IRA 5%
VBR LAL IRA 5 %
VWO LAL IRA 10%

Trying to keep this balanced. Then slowly ease out of things as he gets used to the idea. Right now i sent money to the accounts and he hasn't a clue. He's been super busy working and we are renovating the house so he's got a lot of other things to worry about.
livingalmostlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Can we agree to disagree
Sure.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Target Date Funds are rarely mentioned as an option to streamline a portfolio. Reasons for that are...?
I think they are a good option. I think I've seen expense ratios lower than what you could do with 2-3 funds to replicate them. I think the ERs are low, because someone investing in a retirement fund just keeps the money there.

But in a taxable account, they could throw off gains with internal rebalancing, and you may decide to change AA, so they aren't quite as flexible. But still an option well worth consideration.

And maybe rarely mentioned as they are a subset of a subset?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote