Join Early Retirement Today

Powershares Global Water ETF ??
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Powershares Global Water ETF ??

http://www.powershares.com/products.aspx?ticker=PIO

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=32991

http://seekingalpha.com/article/42757-water-industry-etfs-should-continue-to-perform

I have been looking at this as a way to invest in an eventual environmental cleanup by China. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I own CGW. I like it because it has a higher percentage of the large cap clean up companies that China and other countries may use. It just has a bias that matches my preference for large caps over the next few years.

Three Clear Plays on Water Purification - Personal Finance - ETF Tuesday - CGW - DHR

Yahoo! Finance Charts

Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

greg

Thanks for the input. If you are right about the China bias then CGW will better suit my needs.

I had also looked at IPAX Environmental Markets IEM.L and Jupiter Green but they are traded on the London exchange and seem hard to buy. Fidelity says they will charge 5% to buy IEM for me. E-Trade might be cheaper. They charge 20 pounds + $50 + currency conversion charges = still looks a lot less than Fido.

Now that I have found thes US ETF's I most likely will stick with them.

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #4

joesmx:

I'm home alone today with too much time talkin to Jack.

I also own some PHO and GE for my trifecta water play. GE bought a water purification company about a year ago or so. They use some sort of passive filter system to clean water. HYFLUX.pk (Singapore) has a similar product and it's a purer play for drinking water clean up. It's a sort of rubber membrane in the bottom of large tube and salt or just about any other unusable water is poured in the top and the good stuff comes out the bottom; it think you can also pressurize the top end to increase quantity. There may be a bias by China and SE Asia to use an Asia company, but that's purely a guess on my part. It's gone up quite a bit (60%) since I first looked at it, and it's in PIO. I like it a lot but won't ramp up the number of shares to make the buy charges reasonable.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last of the Mohican's - Aqua America(WTR) in a DRIP plan. I got hosed/bought out of my other two or three water utes around 2000.

Still like it as a sector but not shopping right now.

heh heh heh - place this thread in the back of my mind for ideas.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #6

unclemick:

I think the utility water companies such as WTR are a different play and from a different era--from a tribe, long, long ago. My father always had a couple of American water utilities perking (paying divis and steadily but undramatically rising in price) on the back burner. Almost always very big money makers over time. Just chart em against the S&P over an extended period. And little if any volatility. And they're outside of the energy equation box which is the opposite of electrical and gas utilities. A tortoise of a different color.