Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #2161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
I may finally learn what a true loss is... Finally added a true real second common stock to my collection... I have owned stodgy PEGRY for a while and just added ATGFF. Got tired of watching it drop and drop and finally bought 500 shares just a bit ago.
Has 7% plus divi and management just reiterated 8-10% annual divi increases through 2021... Will hold this long term, so I will find out down the road if I got "Kindered" or not.
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #2162
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Well, perhaps I should accept Mulligan's label of being spoiled.

Just seems to be steady selling pressure, based on Time&Sales plus level II, in several issues I hold - HBANO, AHT-G, NEE-H, etc.

Oh well. Time to turn off the computer and clean up the dog poop on my front lawn ( I do not own a dog ).
Coolius: Steady selling pressure means an equal number of buyers.

Dog poop on your lawn is actually free fertilizer . Let it be and tend to more important tasks like taking a nap.
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #2163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Coolius: Steady selling pressure means an equal number of buyers.

Dog poop on your lawn is actually free fertilizer . Let it be and tend to more important tasks like taking a nap.


Aja, what do you bet Coolius shut off the computer and slammed laptop shut....And on his way to clean the poop yelled at his wife..."We aint going out for dinner tonight. We got slammed in the stock market today and have lost $25 today. We are going to eat chicken noodle soup until we save that $25 back."
Just teasing you, Coolius...
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #2164
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, what do you bet Coolius shut off the computer and slammed laptop shut....And on his way to clean the poop yelled at his wife..."We aint going out for dinner tonight. We got slammed in the stock market today and have lost $25 today. We are going to eat chicken noodle soup until we save that $25 back."
Just teasing you, Coolius...
Chicken noodle soup...Nah PB&J sandwiches on stale bread. Canned soup is too expensive. (kidding, of course)
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #2165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Chicken noodle soup...Nah PB&J sandwiches on stale bread. Canned soup is too expensive. (kidding, of course)


You reminded me Aja...Just this week I played in a fancy charity golf tournament that had candy bars and snacks on a table by tee box every other hole...My partner who is 85 years old and a 4 million plus stock portfolio proceeds to pull out a Walmart plastic bag out of his golf bag...And grabs handfuls of candy bars and slim jims at every stop. By the time we were finished his bag was stuffed full of candy. Like a years supply of candy... I couldnt believe it!
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #2166
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You reminded me Aja...Just this week I played in a fancy charity golf tournament that had candy bars and snacks on a table by tee box every other hole...My partner who is 85 years old and a 4 million plus stock portfolio proceeds to pull out a Walmart plastic bag out of his golf bag...And grabs handfuls of candy bars and slim jims at every stop. By the time we were finished his bag was stuffed full of candy. Like a years supply of candy... I couldnt believe it!
At 85, maybe he thought it was Halloween and he was out trick or treating?

(actually, i would probably lift a few Slim Jims for the home pantry also - I like his style!)
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #2167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
He said...You guys dont know how much I have donated to this organization....Im getting some of it back today... I grabbed 6 candy bars and that was it... I felt like I was stealing, lol...
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #2168
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
........I felt like I was stealing, lol...
You will get over it in a few more years.....
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #2169
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You will get over it in a few more years.....


You got any frequent flyer miles to burn, Aja? Need you to fly out west and check up on our friend Coolius and make sure he hasnt harmed himself.....
Waiting to see how TCF-B opens up tomorrow exD... I have no self discipline and bought a few hundred more MH-A today at $25.20... Its like taking candy from a baby on this trade if there are not anymore skeletons from AFSI.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #2170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Sold my LANDP last week and bought it all back about 25 cents cheaper and still in line for divi this week. Officially outta cash...flat broke... Will set a few low ball bids on a few and just wait. If they ever hit will sell off some TCF-B to pay for it. If nothing happens the MH-A and TCF-B will ride until call. All my other issues I am content holding for a while.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #2171
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Sold my LANDP last week and bought it all back about 25 cents cheaper and still in line for divi this week. Officially outta cash...flat broke... Will set a few low ball bids on a few and just wait. If they ever hit will sell off some TCF-B to pay for it. If nothing happens the MH-A and TCF-B will ride until call. All my other issues I am content holding for a while.
Make use of the free time buy figuring out your football bets.

(here's some advice - don't bet the Astro's to win it all. Pitching has gone to hell.)
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #2172
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,615
Farmland Partners Inc. is issuing a new preferred share with an interesting twist where redemption of the preferred can be more than $25 if Farmland prices increase in the states where they do business. It is set to price at an initial 6% dividend yield. Interesting preferred REIT stock with a different type of asset class

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...2924z424b5.htm

Farmland Partners Inc. Announces Pricing of Public Offering of 6.00% Series B Participating
__________________
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #2173
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Make use of the free time buy figuring out your football bets.



(here's some advice - don't bet the Astro's to win it all. Pitching has gone to hell.)


Im locked and loaded already this year, Aja...Dolphins 7.5 over, Cardinals 8 over, Bengals 7.5 over, and Rams 6 under. If you hit the number exactly its a push and you get your money back. If it was all about the money I would have just loaded up on Rams under. They would have to go 7-9 for me to lose. Their offense is just horrible.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #2174
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Farmland Partners Inc. is issuing a new preferred share with an interesting twist where redemption of the preferred can be more than $25 if Farmland prices increase in the states where they do business. It is set to price at an initial 6% dividend yield. Interesting preferred REIT stock with a different type of asset class

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...2924z424b5.htm

Farmland Partners Inc. Announces Pricing of Public Offering of 6.00% Series B Participating


I looked RM, but couldnt get interested. I prefer the LANDP because it is term dated albeit with a less YTM. Had some good flips on this issue, but would like to keep it in the stable. I also like LANDs assets better. Gladstone alluded earlier in year they may come out with another preferred. Due to Gladstones propensity for term preferreds, if they do issue another one and its term, I will jump out of the gate with it, if its plus 6%.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #2175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Anybody who jumped in on TCF-B a few weeks ago is seeing exactly how a past call "should be called but hasnt" reacts. It just creeps upward. Easiest simplest short term trade of the year in terms of safety and price support. Probably will level off a bit soon until the next divi gets declared as market is very suspicious of a call. MH-A is in same spot now. The only difference is MH has some "skeleton in the closest fears" unlike TCF.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #2176
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Anybody who jumped in on TCF-B a few weeks ago is seeing exactly how a past call "should be called but hasnt" reacts. It just creeps upward. Easiest simplest short term trade of the year in terms of safety and price support. Probably will level off a bit soon until the next divi gets declared as market is very suspicious of a call.

Yes, this is an almost textbook example of call fears affecting the Preferred price.

Those who bought TCF-B at or below $25.47, have offset the over-par premium with the dividend on September 1. Then its just a matter of hoping they will not call.

Every day without a call, after Sept 1, means 1/2 cent/share earned - a 7.4% annualized ROR.

I was a little late to the party, but managed to buy 800 shares @ $25.46 last week.
__________________
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #2177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MooreBonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Farmland Partners Inc. is issuing a new preferred share with an interesting twist where redemption of the preferred can be more than $25 if Farmland prices increase in the states where they do business. It is set to price at an initial 6% dividend yield. Interesting preferred REIT stock with a different type of asset class

Farmland Partners Inc. Announces Pricing of Public Offering of 6.00% Series B Participating
Thanks for the heads-up RM. I see where Farmland is already trading under it's permanent symbol (FPI-B). I took a chance on 95 shares in a tax-advantaged account (only had $2,4xx in free cash).

I also gambled on a few hundred MHLD ($7.195) and MH-A ($25.46) in taxable, since those dividends are both qualified, whereas the FPI-B isn't qualified. Also, there's a bit more risk with the MHLD issues. Here's to hoping it's book value is genuine and doesn't blow up any more, and I get the MH-A call notice on my 50th birthday!
__________________
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #2178
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Thanks for the heads-up RM. I see where Farmland is already trading under it's permanent symbol (FPI-B). I took a chance on 95 shares in a tax-advantaged account (only had $2,4xx in free cash).



I also gambled on a few hundred MHLD ($7.195) and MH-A ($25.46) in taxable, since those dividends are both qualified, whereas the FPI-B isn't qualified. Also, there's a bit more risk with the MHLD issues. Here's to hoping it's book value is genuine and doesn't blow up any more, and I get the MH-A call notice on my 50th birthday!


You are braver than me Moorebonds...CEO promised a couple weeks ago MH-A will be called by end of year...If they dont follow through with a call on a 8.25% issue after following dividend. I am out the door!!! Because that would mean there is a reason why it wasnt called....And it sure as hell wont be a good reason or one I am willing to wait and find out why.
Tip toed into my first MLP...Bought some EPD at $24.92 today.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #2179
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Tip toed into my first MLP...Bought some EPD at $24.92 today.
You are in my league now. Also look at MMP.

Words of caution: Never, I mean NEVER, buy an MLP that is tied to the production of oil & gas.

Midstream is where you want to be, but only in the "best" partnerships.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #2180
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You are in my league now. Also look at MMP.



Words of caution: Never, I mean NEVER, buy an MLP that is tied to the production of oil & gas.



Midstream is where you want to be, but only in the "best" partnerships.


I had to start somewhere, figured a safe one was the way to go...6.75 % is quality to me... I dont understand all the top down structure of MLPs... EPD has stripped itself of all the parent or drop down fee draining crap that I dont understand at all... And I didnt use the formal wording as I forgot what it is called...So it seemed more true and stable and still has investment grade status...I doubt if I stray much from here...Maybe add a bit over time if it presents itself.
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preferred or not preferred lja0703 Stock Picking and Market Strategy 19 02-19-2015 09:52 AM
Fixed to Float Preferred Stock Richard4444 FIRE and Money 5 11-04-2013 05:43 AM
Choosing Between Pre-tax and After-tax Investing ClockWatcher Hi, I am... 10 05-09-2013 07:05 PM
How to sell individual Municipals and Preferred stock JB Stock Picking and Market Strategy 5 12-27-2007 02:28 PM
Third Party Preferred Stock Tony Tampa FIRE and Money 1 04-25-2006 02:47 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.