Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #2741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Ah, but you gave up 2 free trades, which have an intrinsic value of about $14, so in reality you actually lost $4,

Now Coolius, we dont know Sunset’s mindset...Might be a real cheapo. And by burning two of these free trades might prevent Sunset from making a future bad buy or sell being too cheap to pay for the future transaction cost!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #2742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Picked up some INN/PE at $24.58 to replace my Royal Bank of Canada. 6.125 over 5.5%, no brainer.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #2743
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Ah, but you gave up 2 free trades, which have an intrinsic value of about $14, so in reality you actually lost $4,
However, if I think about it as I positioned 400 shares at 5 cents below par, then I gained a potential of $40 if they get called, which after the $14 trade cost leaves me net positive of $26
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #2744
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Sunset, sometimes it isnt about the cash amount, but implementing the successful process.
Absolutely !!

It's like getting a _WIN_

At lunch while I was eating at Olive Garden today for "free" via my Pasta Pass I was thinking how even though it was a tiny trade, it felt good to win.

I do other things to win, even though none of them will move the needle on retirement any measurable amount, yet it feels good to win and brightens the day.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #2745
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Absolutely !!

At lunch while I was eating at Olive Garden today for "free" via my Pasta Pass I was thinking how even though it was a tiny trade, it felt good to win.

I do other things to win, even though none of them will move the needle on retirement any measurable amount, yet it feels good to win and brightens the day.

That is so true! the thrill of a "win", far surpasses the agony of a loss.

I also enjoy free trades every month, so have done Mulligans for as little as $5 profit, especially when I get buyer's remorse after buying,

And you are correct - you obtained a lower cost basis for your replacement shares, which has to be included in the overall picture - i.e., the " Full Mulligan ".

In fact, I also completed a Mulligan today. Yesterday sold MAA-I at $66.60, having bought a couple days ago at $65.80.. Today, I bought back most of them for $66.20 ( now need to buy another 29 shares to round out ).
Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #2746
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Picked up some INN/PE at $24.58 to replace my Royal Bank of Canada. 6.125 over 5.5%, no brainer.

Wine, are you sure you are up to the risk of holding those greasy hospitality reits? You seem to be a panic buyer and seller all the time, lol.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #2747
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely !!

Is the Pasta Pass helping you “win” the battle of the weight scale?
I think I would be a loser winning that pass. I could eat pasta every day!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #2748

Quote:
Wine, are you sure you are up to the risk of holding those greasy hospitality reits? You seem to be a panic buyer and seller all the time, lol.
The only seller I have had in my preferred portfolio was that AGO-E you talked me into, then I sold it after I saw the Puerto Rico exposure. I'm a buy and hold holder, don't have time to play with trades.

I am getting a lot of my issues called, but I paid well below par. My RBC 5.50% was taken Monday, replaced it with INN-E 6.125%. Today, my GS-L 5.95% gets taken, still looking for a replacement.

No panic at all. Steady as she goes.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #2749

Quote:
The only seller I have had in my preferred portfolio was that AGO-E you talked me into, then I sold it after I saw the Puerto Rico exposure. I'm a buy and hold holder, don't have time to play with trades.
Are you in any preferred funds? I have money in a couple of preferred funds such as HPF. It's been been pretty good to me without having to worry about trading. It's up about 3% since i bought it earlier this year and spitting out 7-8% divi.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Are you in any preferred funds? I have money in a couple of preferred funds such as HPF. It's been been pretty good to me without having to worry about trading. It's up about 3% since i bought it earlier this year and spitting out 7-8% divi.
I have some PGX, PFF and CPXCX that I bought back in 08-09, at dirt cheap levels in a full service broker account. I believe these funds also use some leverage to juice their returns and they might be holding some junk stuff, too. Although they do provide some diversity, I also decided in 2014 to create my own "preferred fund", purchasing below par preferreds and holding until they're called or I die. Created in 10/14 at FIDO, with $100,000, it is currently $121,000 as I reinvest my divvies in other issues. I generally buy only 200 shares of each issue but on occasion I have DCA downward. I have also moved about $10,000 of that account to a Roth.

I'm very happy with my results, no panic, no worries, steady as she goes.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #2751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have some PGX, PFF and CPXCX that I bought back in 08-09, at dirt cheap levels in a full service broker account. I believe these funds also use some leverage to juice their returns and they might be holding some junk stuff, too. Although they do provide some diversity, I also decided in 2014 to create my own "preferred fund", purchasing below par preferreds and holding until they're called or I die. Created in 10/14 at FIDO, with $100,000, it is currently $121,000 as I reinvest my divvies in other issues. I generally buy only 200 shares of each issue but on occasion I have DCA downward. I have also moved about $10,000 of that account to a Roth.

I'm very happy with my results, no panic, no worries, steady as she goes.

Yes, I knew once you buy, you get married, so that was why I was teasing you. These leveraged funds are going to face head winds with the compression of the yield curve happening. Some of these actually “protect” the divi by returning capital instead of actual preferred divi payments. A different type of investment. Not my thing, but that doesnt mean its bad. I just prefer to stay unlevered and eat my own cooking.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #2752
Give me a forum ...

FYI... SPLP declared both cash payments for SPLP-A and T. A will get the usual 37.5 this quarter and T gets the prorated 27.1 cent this quarter...The T merge into the A shares come Jan. 1.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #2753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is the Pasta Pass helping you “win” the battle of the weight scale?
I think I would be a loser winning that pass. I could eat pasta every day!
I was really wanting the free trip to Italy but since I didn't "win" that, I quickly decided to "win" the pasta pass.

I'm limiting my trips to Olive Garden for health reasons, as I'm really supposed to lose weight.

I won't be "winning" the Pasta Pass next year
Old 11-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #2754
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was really wanting the free trip to Italy but since I didn't "win" that, I quickly decided to "win" the pasta pass.

I'm limiting my trips to Olive Garden for health reasons, as I'm really supposed to lose weight.

I won't be "winning" the Pasta Pass next year

Dont tell me Pasta isnt healthy, Sunset. I enjoy it too much!

Here is some useless info. An online investor told me he owns a 100 year bond issued in 1930 that matures in 2030. The company beginnings was in utility power and foreign utilities. Well after all sorts of mergers and such, OfficeMax of all companies is now the guaranteer of this bond and will pay it until maturity unless it of course goes under.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #2755
Give me a forum ...

I sold my CHSCO today for a quick easy $125 on 200 shares, and then bought 200 shares of RNR-C at $25.55 today. It kicks out a 38 cent divi in less than 2 weeks so yield is a bit over 6%. A rare insurance preferred that is cumulative QDI. Bought $10k of that 100 year bond issued in 1930 I mentioned last post. YTM of 8.2% come early 2030 if held. I couldnt help myself.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #2756

Has anyone seen the symbol for Ladenburg's 6.5% notes? I tried the one from SA, but FIDO comes up empty. New issue was 11/14/17.

PS. Nobody else buy until I get my 200 shares under par first. Agreed? Except whoever finds the symbol.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #2757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sold my CHSCO today for a quick easy $125 on 200 shares, and then bought 200 shares of RNR-C at $25.55 today. It kicks out a 38 cent divi in less than 2 weeks so yield is a bit over 6%. A rare insurance preferred that is cumulative QDI. Bought $10k of that 100 year bond issued in 1930 I mentioned last post. YTM of 8.2% come early 2030 if held. I couldnt help myself.
Whats the ticker? I cannot find anything about it from what you posted...

I like an 8.2%.... need to put the call money to work when I get it in Dec.... I do not think this will be called
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #2758
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, I knew once you buy, you get married, so that was why I was teasing you. These leveraged funds are going to face head winds with the compression of the yield curve happening. Some of these actually “protect” the divi by returning capital instead of actual preferred divi payments. A different type of investment. Not my thing, but that doesnt mean its bad. I just prefer to stay unlevered and eat my own cooking.
Are you that these 3 funds are leveraged. CPXCX with a yield of less than 4.5% is not leveraged, and I'm pretty sure the other 2 are not. PFF is a passive index fund. Are you thinking of preferred closed ended funds.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
Are you that these 3 funds are leveraged. CPXCX with a yield of less than 4.5% is not leveraged, and I'm pretty sure the other 2 are not. PFF is a passive index fund. Are you thinking of preferred closed ended funds.
All three funds use hedges, swaps, derivatives and mention is their prospectuses that "75% of funds, and borrowings" will be invested in ....

I hold about 2% of my portfolio in those issues so it's just a diversity issue for me in my fixed income side.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #2760
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post

I wasnt referencing my “their usage” to those tickers but to Winemakers reference of leveraged funds in general. I should have been more clear. Yes, PFF is basically a gloried Financial/Bank vanilla preferred fund.
Closed Thread