Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #3621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
For those that are flipping shares that are QDI, ya'll do know there's a required holding period, right? I was talking with another person and they had no idea there was a holding period.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/q...eddividend.asp

Ya, I knew... most is done in tax free...But in the others my brokerage come tax time in the forms always labels it QDI....And then so do I....

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #3622
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just not a lot of flip movement anywhere. So I am just rooting in and keeping my proper balance. I was too much on the safe end (and still am), but I bought 200 shares of DCP-B at 25.04 today. It will pay out a one time 67 cent (4month approx) divi next month since it is a new issue, then will start its normal sub 50 cent payout the following divi. I also bought 200 of PIHPP at 25.75. I am very underwhelmed with that purchase. But I needed to bolster higher end yeild and its QDI, which I needed. Just mostly getting in position to hold most longer term. Would like to sample a bit more issues that go fixed to float in a few years and yet have current call protection.
You always amaze me at the preferred issues that you find and share. The DCP-B looks good, has a K-1 so a bit of a pain come tax time. With cash on the sideline I snagged a few shares at 25.04, saw it closed today at 25.22 so already in the money.

bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #3623
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
You always amaze me at the preferred issues that you find and share. The DCP-B looks good, has a K-1 so a bit of a pain come tax time. With cash on the sideline I snagged a few shares at 25.04, saw it closed today at 25.22 so already in the money.

Bob, I tucked this away in my HSA brokerage, so I dont have to worry about the K-1. If I cant squeeze a K-1 in my tax free account I wont buy. I dont want to deal with K-1 s....Or learn how too, lol.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #3624
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Bob, I tucked this away in my HSA brokerage, so I dont have to worry about the K-1. If I cant squeeze a K-1 in my tax free account I wont buy. I dont want to deal with K-1 s....Or learn how too, lol.
I've had a couple in the past. The tax software makes it painless, just tell it you have a K1 and fill in the prompts. I really don't like them as they tend to run late, delaying me from filing and getting my refund.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #3625
Recycles dryer sheets

SPLP-A still plugging along. Up another $0.40 today. Must be something in addition to being added to that index. I just can't find anything.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #3626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
SPLP-A still plugging along. Up another $0.40 today. Must be something in addition to being added to that index. I just can't find anything.

Its kind of hard to get real clear info since it is not a well followed company......I have found out its better to be lucky than good...Last week I had to sell my FPI-B at end of day to raise cash for a standing bid that hit. Good thing as FPI and preferred cratered on accounting rumors. Well I couldnt resist and bought 200 at 18.20 at end of day yesterday and 100 premarket at 19.59. So instead of losing a little coin, I am up some coin. I probably should sell, but I will hold for now.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #3627
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have found out its better to be lucky than good...
I'll certainly take it!
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #3628
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=brokrken;2077108]I'll certainly take it.

I havent forgot SPLP-A. And its probably a good play now. Its about at price I sold out last year. I just cant wrap my head around their finances since the second acquisition and understand what is going on. I saw they have bought back a modest amount which saves them money and CEO also has some too which is good.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #3629
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Its kind of hard to get real clear info since it is not a well followed company......I have found out its better to be lucky than good...Last week I had to sell my FPI-B at end of day to raise cash for a standing bid that hit. Good thing as FPI and preferred cratered on accounting rumors. Well I couldnt resist and bought 200 at 18.20 at end of day yesterday and 100 premarket at 19.59. So instead of losing a little coin, I am up some coin. I probably should sell, but I will hold for now.
Damn...was a little late to the party, but just picked up 170 at 21.23. While not the steal that Mulligan got, I'm still content with just a hair over 7% current yield. Adding in the capital gain for the "interest rate spike penalty if not called" provision, total YTM is about 9.94%* for a 6 year hold.

*I do my YTM calcs a little different than some - I look at my cost basis of about $21.30 w/ commissions, then calculate YTM by combining annual dividend payments ($1.50) with the average capital gain per year, realized at maturity (about $.62/year) . Financial calculators might disagree, but it's all in tax-deferred accounts, so the time value discount on the capital gain part isn't as important since it's just in a few years. And it's a hell of alot easier to calculate on the fly, with prices changing in a blink of an eye sometimes.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #3630
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Damn...was a little late to the party, but just picked up 170 at 21.23. While not the steal that Mulligan got, I'm still content with just a hair over 7% current yield. Adding in the capital gain for the "interest rate spike penalty if not called" provision, total YTM is about 9.94%* for a 6 year hold.

*I do my YTM calcs a little different than some - I look at my cost basis of about $21.30 w/ commissions, then calculate YTM by combining annual dividend payments ($1.50) with the average capital gain per year, realized at maturity (about $.62/year) . Financial calculators might disagree, but it's all in tax-deferred accounts, so the time value discount on the capital gain part isn't as important since it's just in a few years. And it's a hell of alot easier to calculate on the fly, with prices changing in a blink of an eye sometimes.

Moorebonds, what little testosterone I had disappeared when I got home today and I sold 200 at $22.14 today. Almost $800 in 2 days on a puny purchase. I still have 100 as they were used with unsettled funds and wont clear until Monday. The bottom line is yield is down to 6.73%., not 8.2% when I bought. I will toss the other 100 in the trash can Monday. I bought an additional 200 DCP-B with proceeds. This kicks out an oversized one time 67 cent divi in 2months being a new issue and essentially a 4 month dividend payment.