Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #4301
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ya, I nowhere near those type of trainwrecks!
Stay away from National General Holdings also. It's another one tied up with Amtrust.

I'm moving LMHA to the chopping block. It's up over 15% plus an interest payment since I bought in December and I'm willing to bet that the programs will kick in to sell off PFF, PGX, PSK, and others and create another golden buying opportunity. In the mean time, I will earn 2.3% in a money market while I wait. If I can get two round trips this year with these baby bonds and preferred, It will be pretty stellar year.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #4302
Recycles dryer sheets

I made a mistake. I own some shares in my IRA that issue a K1. The total dividends paid is more than $1,000.

What kind of mess have a gotten myself into, and how expensive will it be to get out of it?

Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #4303
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
I made a mistake. I own some shares in my IRA that issue a K1. The total dividends paid is more than $1,000.

What kind of mess have a gotten myself into, and how expensive will it be to get out of it?
Total dividends doesn't matter. Look at the K1, box 20, code V (if any). That is your share of unrelated business taxable income (UBTI). If the sum (k1s in IRA) of the code V is greater than $1,000, then a form 990T would need to be filed. The good news.......the custodian of your IRA must file as the owner, not you.

See: https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informa...ax-topics/ubti
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #4304
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Total dividends doesn't matter. Look at the K1, box 20, code V (if any). That is your share of unrelated business taxable income (UBTI). If the sum (k1s in IRA) of the code V is greater than $1,000, then a form 990T would need to be filed. The good news.......the custodian of your IRA must file as the owner, not you.

See: https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informa...ax-topics/ubti
That's what I thought.

It wasn't completely clear from the K1, though, because box 20 just said "STMT", then the statement was "UBTI (Code 20V) If your investment in the Partnership was made through an IRA, Keogh, or other qualified retirement plan, or if you are any other tax-exempt entity, your trustee may be required to report a portion of the taxable income or loss as unrelated to your tax-exempt purpose on IRS Form 990-T (Exempt
Organization Business Income Tax Return)."
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #4305
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If one is looking for a place to “hide out” from low yield risk and dont mind a call, KMPA is laying there in low $25.20s for a 7.3% yield. Just went past call last month, but looks good for at least one more divi minimum since it paid out end of last month.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #4306
Recycles dryer sheets

My CHSCM holding has gone up from 25.13 to 26.76 over the last five weeks. It is almost a whole years worth of dividend. Is it time to think about selling?
NgineER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #4307
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
My CHSCM holding has gone up from 25.13 to 26.76 over the last five weeks. It is almost a whole years worth of dividend. Is it time to think about selling?
Well, I sold when it got to near $29. Then bought back in ~$25. Too bad you didn't pick up any on 12/20/18 when it was $22+.

Regardless, this is a long term hold, for me, anyway.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #4308
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If one is looking for a place to “hide out” from low yield risk and dont mind a call, KMPA is laying there in low $25.20s for a 7.3% yield. Just went past call last month, but looks good for at least one more divi minimum since it paid out end of last month.
With money market rates where they are, it's easy and liquid enough to hold a steady there.

Next on my chopping block is COF-PF. I will dispose of these over $26.70 for about a 12% gain.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #4309
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

MBFIO has had selling and volume pressures this week. MB is being acquired by 5th Third Street Bank. The issue will delist and go to the pink sheets. 5th Street is not redeeming the issue. 5th Street is actually a stronger bank so this is a positive for MBFIO despite lower price. I am sure many owning entities have to sell and cannot own delisted stocks. I went in today and bought at $24.30. Call protected until 2022. A 6% par issue.
I have been back in the get above 6% mode in issues without pushing risk too much. Doesnt appear rates are running away..
Bought more CKNQP in past few weeks also that is call protected until 2024. Even bought smaller amounts of NSS and GLP-A both at even par recently for a little juice... Have a bunch of 5 year fixed reset preferreds off 5 yr USD and 5 yr Canadian dollar bought 20-25% below par. All are reset through 2022 and 2023 except for one which is due for a reset in 2020.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #4310
Moderator Emeritus

Mul, got any opinion on FPI-B 6% Cumulative issue (call date 9/30/2022)? This is for a friend's portfolio. Thanks, Tony
Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #4311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Mul, got any opinion on FPI-B 6% Cumulative issue (call date 9/30/2022)? This is for a friend's portfolio. Thanks, Tony

Aja, I really dont know. I made like $3 a share on a hit piece a year ago when they cratered. Its hard to figure out the details. What the land was paid for, what its worth, how the rents are going in a down Ag economy. I followed it a lot from interest, but just cant get back in for whatever reason. Many pros and cons articles out there. The terms are nice on the preferreds, but I just dont have anything of real value to help you with.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #4312
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Aja, I really dont know. I made like $3 a share on a hit piece a year ago when they cratered. Its hard to figure out the details. What the land was paid for, what its worth, how the rents are going in a down Ag economy. I followed it a lot from interest, but just cant get back in for whatever reason. Many pros and cons articles out there. The terms are nice on the preferreds, but I just dont have anything of real value to help you with.
OK, thanks, I can't figure it out either.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #4313
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
MBFIO has had selling and volume pressures this week. MB is being acquired by 5th Third Street Bank. The issue will delist and go to the pink sheets. 5th Street is not redeeming the issue. 5th Street is actually a stronger bank so this is a positive for MBFIO despite lower price. I am sure many owning entities have to sell and cannot own delisted stocks. I went in today and bought at $24.30. Call protected until 2022. A 6% par issue.
I have been back in the get above 6% mode in issues without pushing risk too much. Doesnt appear rates are running away..
Bought more CKNQP in past few weeks also that is call protected until 2024. Even bought smaller amounts of NSS and GLP-A both at even par recently for a little juice... Have a bunch of 5 year fixed reset preferreds off 5 yr USD and 5 yr Canadian dollar bought 20-25% below par. All are reset through 2022 and 2023 except for one which is due for a reset in 2020.
Does the Non-cumulative nature of the issue worry you, at all?
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #4314
Give me a forum ...

Ken, all bank preferreds are non cumulative. So one has to accept that if they want to invest in financial preferreds. It is regulation not the banks choice.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #4315
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ken, all bank preferreds are non cumulative. So one has to accept that if they want to invest in financial preferreds. It is regulation not the banks choice.
OK, I didn't realize they didn't have a choice. This seems like a good play, going from a Ba3 to Baa3 due to the acquisition with a better yield than any 5th 3rd issues.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #4316
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
MBFIO's volume spiked again today. Share price seems to be holding steady.

Green_and_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote