Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #4361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it is a small portion of my stash... currently ~5% but I hope to increase that to ~10%... I don't fret much about price movements since I'm viewing them as a medium quality perpetual bond (economically).

The ratings on thse things seem odd though... for example one of my holdings is JPMPRH... according to quantumonline the issue is rated BBB- by S&P... the senior debt is A-.... I have trouble thinking the preferred is 3 full notches lower than the senior debt. All of mine a BBB or BBB-... I'm not going any lower than that.

While I totally understand what you are saying with respect to 6% last year and 5.5% this year, some of the issuers that I recall looking at the trading prices didn't seem to be reflective of the yields.... IOW, the same issuer can have two different preferred that trade at significantly different yields.... that made no sense to me... if the credit risk is essentially the same then I would have thought that the effective yields of different preferreds from the same issuer would be pretty similar (all else being equal)... but it didn't appear that was the case.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #4362
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, it is a small portion of my stash... currently ~5% but I hope to increase that to ~10%... I don't fret much about price movements since I'm viewing them as a medium quality perpetual bond (economically).

The ratings on thse things seem odd though... for example one of my holdings is JPMPRH... according to quantumonline the issue is rated BBB- by S&P... the senior debt is A-.... I have trouble thinking the preferred is 3 full notches lower than the senior debt. All of mine a BBB or BBB-... I'm not going any lower than that.

While I totally understand what you are saying with respect to 6% last year and 5.5% this year, some of the issuers that I recall looking at the trading prices didn't seem to be reflective of the yields.... IOW, the same issuer can have two different preferred that trade at significantly different yields.... that made no sense to me... if the credit risk is essentially the same then I would have thought that the effective yields of different preferreds from the same issuer would be pretty similar (all else being equal)... but it didn't appear that was the case.

PB, the real traders can exploit sell imbalances from funds. Most of these track stupid random preferred indexes and they shuffle whats in them all the time. The real criteria seems predicated on volume...How stupid is that? So they just dump and then drive up prices when buying on other end.
But also, being past call, call protected, how close to next exD, and yield it was originally issued at, etc, will also play a part also. Usually an observation I see is one issue will be less liquid and that usually results in it trading a bit higher. Or for example some have a better protection covenant that makes it a bit more appealing. Look at SOCGP and SOCGM. Basically same damn issue at 6% uncallable. One is at $28 and the other last traded at $33...Now figure that out, lol...
Also, you are wise to look at the senior debt and unsecured debt that has ratings. This is where the real analysis is at...Rating agencies admit they just slot the preferreds below the debt. Usually 1- 3 notches below debt depending on whether it is senior unsecured or junior subordinate debt.
A company could have BBB junior subordinate debt and have one share of a preferred stock outstanding with a dividend of a penny and it would still be rated BBB- or BB+ depending on credit agency.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #4363
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
.....Look at SOCGP and SOCGM. Basically same damn issue at 6% uncallable. One is at $28 and the other last traded at $33...Now figure that out, lol... ...
That sort of thing is exactly what I was talking about.... so much for the theory that markets are efficient.... if I was going to buy, put me in for the $28 one... not the $33 one.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #4364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Do the issues have the same call date etc? Say one is past call and one cannot be called for 10 years... of course the one safe from call can get much higher over par than the one past call... so the yield can be pretty large do to other risks...

As to the last few months being difficult, well the interest rate has gone down which means prices have gone up... so as long as the yield is matching the market you have to pay up to get it...
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 03-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #4365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That sort of thing is exactly what I was talking about.... so much for the theory that markets are efficient.... if I was going to buy, put me in for the $28 one... not the $33 one.

But the market certainly appears hot for QDI preferreds. DUEKL (Duke Energy) was a $25 5.75% par issued this week and it is creeping up now to $25.47. MBINP (Merchants Bank) was a 7% issue that is already at $25.97. Other decent quality issues have shot up to. This I am sure will embolden more companies to issue more preferred...at lower yields until rate trajectory changes.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #4366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kinda quiet in here. New preferred should be hitting the markets. Proceeds being used to redeem some Baby Bonds (SOHOK). Non-Qualified.

8.25% Series D Cumulative Redeemable Perpetual Preferred Stock
Temporary OTC Grey Market -> SOHEP (permanent ticker will be SOHON)
Pricing Sheet
Old 04-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #4367
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Kinda quiet in here. New preferred should be hitting the markets. Proceeds being used to redeem some Baby Bonds (SOHOK). Non-Qualified.

8.25% Series D Cumulative Redeemable Perpetual Preferred Stock
Temporary OTC Grey Market -> SOHEP (permanent ticker will be SOHON)
Pricing Sheet
Obviously I'm not an accountant, as I don't understand why they would issue these paying 8.25% to pay "redeem in full its operating partnerships 7.25% senior unsecured notes due 2021."
Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #4368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Obviously I'm not an accountant, as I don't understand why they would issue these paying 8.25% to pay "redeem in full its operating partnerships 7.25% senior unsecured notes due 2021."
I can think of a couple of reasons and there's probably more to the story under the covers.
  • The baby bond was also coming due for maturity in 2 years, so could be the company would like to lock down current low rates rather than risk what rates could be 2 years from now.
  • This moves the outstanding from debt to equity. Has some benefits from window dressing of the company on ratios and such. Conceptually this could have positive impact even on the common stock valuation.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #4369
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mulligan mentioned ( on another site ) that the move is to shift Debt over to the Capital side.

A sneaky way to achieve locking in a rate for a long time to come ( avoiding a possible problem if rates are higher when SOHOK matures ), and to "improve" some of their financial ratios, as Bob said above.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #4370
Give me a forum ...

Been making a few modest moves. Sold off the rest of my MBINP over 26.30 the other day. Would like to see it drop to repurchase again. Bought a chunk of PPX about a month ago under 25.30 and sold it all at 25.70, then repurchased at 25.47. Hard to let that one go. IPWLK has had a very rare liquidity event and bought 400 at 99.75. Sold off some of my DUK-A at 25.75.
Someone on another forum mentioned HE-U was getting redeemed Friday and people were selling left and right and buyers were purchasing over $26 for an issue they didnt know is getting redeemed for around 25.20 or so. Issue finally got halted around noon. I had sold mine off over a month ago for over 26.50 pre exD.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #4371

Any thoughts on the PBI-B notes? Under par, past call date, sort of a cash cow type company at this point. Yielding near 7% at current price.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #4372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Any thoughts on the PBI-B notes? Under par, past call date, sort of a cash cow type company at this point. Yielding near 7% at current price.

Ken, sign up with Moodys (its free) and you can read a just issued credit rating and overall summary of company. Some moving parts here as it tries to move a way from its ever present declining cash cow postage metered stuff. I cant link the above info because they dont allow you to as condition upon signing up.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #4373

Quote:
Ken, sign up with Moodys (its free) and you can read a just issued credit rating and overall summary of company. Some moving parts here as it tries to move a way from its ever present declining cash cow postage metered stuff. I cant link the above info because they dont allow you to as condition upon signing up.
Thanks, Mully. I was able to read the ratings action from April 17, but unable to read the update following the downgrade from April 18th since I'm not a paying member. Were you able to read the latter? If so, any additional info not in the former, I should be aware of?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #4374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, Mully. I was able to read the ratings action from April 17, but unable to read the update following the downgrade from April 18th since I'm not a paying member. Were you able to read the latter? If so, any additional info not in the former, I should be aware of?
No that was all I can see too. But thatshould be pretty accurate though.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #4375

Picked up some GLP-A today, still debating that PBI-B
Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #4376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have owned GLP-A a few times and presently do own it buying around par again about 6 weeks ago. Feel pretty comfortable owning it. Trying to play a little future price spike on KTBA buying at $26.70 today. Have traded bounces on it a few times for modest flip gains. It cranks out a 6 month interest payment next month.
Notice IPWLO hadnt traded in 6 months so I bought 100 shares at $88 today. $8 lower than last trade in Oct. Just having a little fun buying a dark OTC grey. Funny thing was 130 more shares traded at same price after I did after being dormant so long.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #4377

Quote:
I have owned GLP-A a few times and presently do own it buying around par again about 6 weeks ago. Feel pretty comfortable owning it. Trying to play a little future price spike on KTBA buying at $26.70 today. Have traded bounces on it a few times for modest flip gains. It cranks out a 6 month interest payment next month.
Notice IPWLO hadnt traded in 6 months so I bought 100 shares at $88 today. $8 lower than last trade in Oct. Just having a little fun buying a dark OTC grey. Funny thing was 130 more shares traded at same price after I did after being dormant so long.
You're a trailblazer!
Old 04-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #4378

Quote:
My biggest holding is now EBGEF which will roll into over 6..7% yield on my recent purchase price of about $19.80 for this BBB- issue. Over a third of my shares now in various Canadian resets though a lot is still US currency based despite trading on TSX.
Thanks for the heads up on EBGEF, got in just a few cents more than you. As I'm sure you know, Enbridge now officially announced div at the higher rate, right where you said it would be. Based on the 6.7% yield, with this being qualified and investment grade I'm thinking this should trade closer to 6%, so I'm expecting this to trade around $22.50 or so, a possible run-up of a couple bucks from today's price.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #4379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Thanks for the heads up on EBGEF, got in just a few cents more than you. As I'm sure you know, Enbridge now officially announced div at the higher rate, right where you said it would be. Based on the 6.7% yield, with this being qualified and investment grade I'm thinking this should trade closer to 6%, so I'm expecting this to trade around $22.50 or so, a possible run-up of a couple bucks from today's price.

Bob, normally if I have a preferred that pops a buck, I start eying a sell and flip. Even if this goes up a buck I would have no desire to sell. Quality wise in relation to yield there just wouldnt be a suitable replacement even if it did pop some. So it looks like a long term hold.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #4380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

PBI keeps dropping with interest payment approaching....Ken its your destiny to buy! That yield is going to look too tempting!!
I would be interest maybe for a smaller play, but no money in my high risk bucket. Dont want to sell what I have to buy any.
Closed Thread