Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #4401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
This is such a great thread.
Glad you enjoy, Graybeard, jump on in! ...Bob I didnt answer other part. I sold my MBFPP (MBFIO) to pay it off. I bought that a little over a month ago at 24.20 on a dumping when delistment announcement occured. It is trading again, appreciated $1.50 plus will snag a divi also. Something had to go as my back cant take bending over to collect 50k worth of aluminum cans in ditches.[emoji1]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #4402
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was not able to get any SIPRY shares, my bid at $25.60 is still sitting there after 2 days,
However, I did buy 10 shares of SLMNP @ $1035.75, so a small consolation prize.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #4403
Give me a forum ...

Coolius, welcome to the world of chemical company preferreds! Gotta love the psychological comfort of the owner put.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #4404
Recycles dryer sheets

What exactly are the SLMNP owner's put rights?

I own some LYB common shares, and might be looking to buy more. Seems quite undervalued to me at this moment.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #4405
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
What exactly are the SLMNP owner's put rights?

I own some LYB common shares, and might be looking to buy more. Seems quite undervalued to me at this moment.

Thanks!
Slow if you go to LYB SEC filings. Look under their annual report filing and go to page 77. It will state how this Schulman issue can be tendered to LYB at par anytime. The genesis of this issue was a perpetual convertible. Company does not trade anymore so no conversion is possible. So just the perpetual remains. Either buried deep in prospectus from change of ownership or just LYB doing it the put is now installed. I cant link it since I am on phone out and about.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #4406

I finally got a fill for SIPRY, the Spire 5.9% preferred, that I was chasing for the past 2 days. Filled at $25.71, a little higher than I would like ( was trying at $25.65 with no success ).

But the premium over par will be offset by the first 2 dividends, so I will be positioned well at the beginning of next year.

Remains to be seen if this was a poor buy, or not.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #4407
Give me a forum ...

Well you know for sure it will pay the divie, and that is paramount! Kind of odd your trading platform would not showing the bid and ask, Coolius..All 3 of mine did and that includes lowly TradeKing.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #4408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
I finally got a fill for SIPRY, the Spire 5.9% preferred, that I was chasing for the past 2 days. Filled at $25.71, a little higher than I would like ( was trying at $25.65 with no success ).

But the premium over par will be offset by the first 2 dividends, so I will be positioned well at the beginning of next year.

Remains to be seen if this was a poor buy, or not.
I also tried to purchase some at 25.60 but it appears this thread has caused a run up on the price...
Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #4409
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I also tried to purchase some at 25.60 but it appears this thread has caused a run up on the price...

Cap, this thing closed yesterday at 25.70 and really didnt open up to us peons until 25.50...I have an on line friend who deals with Morgan Stanley brokerage. He is allowed a piece of any IPO offering at its IPO price of $25...And yes he took advantage of it!
I had the low brow trade of the day... Grey market IPLWO at $83 a post 5 year low...And a puny 4.2% par $100 yield too. Got 100 at $88, $85,and $83. Hoping to get the next stop in the $70s at some point. Its been callable since 1950 so being past call 70 years and below par doesnt worry me about a redemption notice, lol...
Why? Because I wanted too, lol...
Old 05-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #4410
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Bob I didnt answer other part. I sold my MBFPP (MBFIO) to pay it off. I bought that a little over a month ago at 24.20 on a dumping when delistment announcement occured. It is trading again, appreciated $1.50 plus will snag a divi also. Something had to go as my back cant take bending over to collect 50k worth of aluminum cans in ditches.[emoji1]
I figured something had to give. The CG should have been worth treating yourself to a steak dinner. I didn't get in on MBFPP, by the time I looked it was already on it's way up. Keep your hook in the water, save the back.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #4411
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Slow if you go to LYB SEC filings. Look under their annual report filing and go to page 77. It will state how this Schulman issue can be tendered to LYB at par anytime. The genesis of this issue was a perpetual convertible. Company does not trade anymore so no conversion is possible. So just the perpetual remains. Either buried deep in prospectus from change of ownership or just LYB doing it the put is now installed. I cant link it since I am on phone out and about.
Thanks, Mulligan.
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 05-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #4412
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

Utility Algonquin is offering a 6.2% Fixed to float baby bond that may start trading with a ticker tomm.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...2012x1_fwp.htm
I went ahead and bought 1000 shares at $25.35 through the bond desk as it has been trading there by cusip until it heads to the big board.
http://finra-markets.morningstar.com...bol=AQN4835686
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #4413

I looked at it and might have missed it. Is it Qualified Dividends tax wise or regular income?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #4414
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I looked at it and might have missed it. Is it Qualified Dividends tax wise or regular income?
Its a baby bond so it is not QDI.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #4415
Recycles dryer sheets

Mulligan - Contacted Schwab bond desk on this and they show it as a variable preferred. Opinion?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #4416

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Mulligan - Contacted Schwab bond desk on this and they show it as a variable preferred. Opinion?
Read Gridbirds original post, fixed to float issue.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #4417
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Gooddog, did the links bring clarification? If not please ask questions and one of us will get it answered! And hopefully correct too! [emoji3]
Old 05-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #4418
Recycles dryer sheets

Been lurking on this thread off & on, some knowledgeable people here.

Also been trading mostly mREIT preferreds past couple years. In that time I've learned some are quite risky / volatile like TOO-E and others stable like AGNCN, ANH-C, NLY-F all have been useful for me.

Chemical preferred sound interesting will have to read up on 'em
Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 AM   #4419

Bought 500 shares of EBGEF for the sock drawer at 19.90 last week. Could not trade it on line. Had to call in to make the trade and they charged me $50 because of it being on the Toronto exchange. At first, I forgot to call the fixed income desk at Fido. Got no help until I did.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #4420
Give me a forum ...

Hi Ken, glad to see you post. Mreits are out of my comfort zone. More of an indictment on my limited intelligence level than the issues themselves, I am sure!
Free To Canoe, yes each brokerage has their own quirks and do it differently. In fact I have some in Vanguard but they shut down the buying...I have an HSA at TD and like trading there. So last night I set up an account there. Will drive to there office soon and have them transfer everything to TD. Tired of 3 accounts.
Closed Thread