Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #501
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
When its time to sell, what if nobody wants to buy it, and you end up waiting for a long time?

Just askin...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

In my case, I am expecting that such a decision will most likely be made by my kids..........

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #502
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
In my case, I am expecting that such a decision will most likely be made by my kids..........

Do them a favor Coolius, and tell them specifically in the will to not sell by "market order".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #503
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Do them a favor Coolius, and tell them specifically in the will to not sell by "market order".

First off, I will say thanks to all about this issue..... I think I will buy 200 to 250 shares... converting some of my high yield fund to this.... seems like it is better yield and safer.... what is not to like about that...

But, also wanted to say that when I was trying to put in an order, it would ONLY let me put in a limit order... something about pink sheet issue...

So, will have to wait for the HY fund to sell before buying... hope some is still there....
Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
First off, I will say thanks to all about this issue..... I think I will buy 200 to 250 shares... converting some of my high yield fund to this.... seems like it is better yield and safer.... what is not to like about that...

But, also wanted to say that when I was trying to put in an order, it would ONLY let me put in a limit order... something about pink sheet issue...

So, will have to wait for the HY fund to sell before buying... hope some is still there....

It is broker specific on market orders though most do force you to make limit ones I believe. You just have to be patient, every few months you get a dump like this. You just have to wait for it...For example CNTHP traded 2000 shares today, but the 90 day average shows 93. CNLPL had 4800 trade today but its 90 day average is 345. CNLPL is a bit bigger of an issue ($16 million in value versus $10 million). Only caveat is next dividend has not been announced. That typically happens about first of April. Since exD of CNTHP is second week of April or so, next dividend is all but assured. All issues are past call but they have been that way since the 70's.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #505

Quote:

You should never put in bids at Market for any of these issues. Some of the spreads can be horrific, like AILNP where bid is $100, ask is $1000 !!

Unfortunately, AON bids will almost never get executed. Used to submit AON bids because I didn't want to get stuck with 1 or 2 shares and pay full trade commission. Quickly realized AON orders will sit there and die of old age. So you might have to bite the bullet and take it as a cost of investment _ I usually call CS and ask them to waive the commission, and most times they do, if the trade was for only a few shares.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #506
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So Capjack, Slow and Steady, and Jim do you all have any other preferreds now? Did you have any of the CNLPL/CNTHP prior to this purchase?
I own half a batch of EYMXP.

I also own a batch of AHT-D, which you will recall is the one that tanked from par value down to just over $16 when they were having a tiff with their investors. I bought mine at par, and it's almost back to par now. Unfortunately, I didn't have the guts to buy more when it was down around $16, which was just for a few hours.

I had half a batch of CNTHP bought a few months back, and added another batch yesterday.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #507
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
I own half a batch of EYMXP.

I also own a batch of AHT-D, which you will recall is the one that tanked from par value down to just over $16 when they were having a tiff with their investors. I bought mine at par, and it's almost back to par now. Unfortunately, I didn't have the guts to buy more when it was down around $16, which was just for a few hours.

I had half a batch of CNTHP bought a few months back, and added another batch yesterday.

I was out golfing today and missed the continued controlled sell off. I got a bit more of stray cash laying around...May go back in for 100 more.. Heck half my stash is in either Amerens or Light & Power already...Whats a meaningless $5k more added to the mix!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #508
Give me a forum ...

OK.... which one would you recommend as the 'best' for a newbie?

Should have $12K to invest tomorrow... like the safer yield.....
Old 03-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #509
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you are willing to take the call risk as next dividends have not been declared, you cant go wrong in long terms of safety with CNLPL/CNTHP at prices bought yesterday if you can get them.
Any electrical utility preferred paying over 6% ( which are few) are the sandbox I play in.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #510

Quote:

Looks like market for CNLPL/CNTHP has been bumped up a little - last year Prices were generally around $52.20-$52.70. They seem to be mostly hanging around $52.70-$53.00 now.

Still a good buy for a long term hold. As Mulligan said, the major risk is not the integrity of the company, or suspension of dividend; it is a call for redemption. But be aware that the redemption price of both these issues is higher than its par value ( CNLPL redeems @ $51.84, CNTHP redeems @ $51.44 ), so that sweetens the pot somewhat.

AILLL is another solid Ute Preferred, if bought below $26. But I've been trying to do that for a long time, with no success.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #511
Give me a forum ...

CNTHP is trading again late today...Snagged me some more at $52.83

Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #512
Give me a forum ...

Thanks guys.... I do like the CNTHP and tried to put in an order today... but Vanguard will not let me do it on the computer... will have to wait till tomorrow to do it... will have to call it in...

I do like these better than the HY fund.... much better credit quality and little downside risk.... just thinly traded... but I plan to hold them anyhow so no big deal....
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #513
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks guys.... I do like the CNTHP and tried to put in an order today... but Vanguard will not let me do it on the computer... will have to wait till tomorrow to do it... will have to call it in...

I do like these better than the HY fund.... much better credit quality and little downside risk.... just thinly traded... but I plan to hold them anyhow so no big deal....

They are grade A turds....self appointed baby sitters....Once they read you the prospectus and enter order for you, your account should be free and clear to buy most illiquid preferreds...They just want to make sure you are not an idiot and buying something you know nothing about...
I had to go through the process myself...The poor guy I dealt with didnt know a 1/10 what I did about them...

Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #514

Vanguard did not allow me to buy WFC-L in my IRAs.

But since the dividends are QDI, I bought in my Taxable accounts for a greater benefit.

Yeah, not happy with Vanguard Brokerage services. I also sell cash-secured puts, and they actually move the cash to where I can't use it for the entire duration of the Put.

Because of this, I use Vanguard only for equities and individual bonds, as well as their Mutual Funds. No preferred and options for me there.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Vanguard did not allow me to buy WFC-L in my IRAs.
That is strange, I did WFC-L for my tIRA with Vanguard. I had to go through the bond desk, total pain in the rear.

They do not know what they are doing over there.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
That is strange, I did WFC-L for my tIRA with Vanguard. I had to go through the bond desk, total pain in the rear.

They do not know what they are doing over there.

Oh yeah, my bad. So sorry.

I could not buy WFC-L using the online website approach. And I did not try their bond line, so never found out that they could do so there.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #517
Dryer sheet wannabe

Why not just a preferred ETF like PFF. It seems a lot easier?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post

My own opinion only: yes it is easier - but not optimum from my point of view.

The funds have fees. They also use leverage to juice returns which increases risk. They invest in many stocks, some of which might be very risky in order to increase their return.

To me, the risks associated can be avoided to a big extent if I select my own preferred stocks. And, being retired, I have the time to monitor my investments that folks who are still working would not have.

But again, that's my opinion. Others here will beg to differ, and that's perfectly ok. That's what makes a market !
Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #519
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post

1) You are getting mostly bank noncumulative issues as financial preferreds constitute 80% of preferred stock issuance. I do not like financial preferreds because they are non cumulative and are backing a leveraged company (banks), so if crap hits the fan, one will either lose by price drop and/or dividend suspension with no "make whole" provision if company returns to profitability.
2) You get a mish mash of issues that is bought for "liquidity" purposes, not quality. They cannot buy the quality issues I buy.
3) By purchasing individual issues you can get higher quality issues with a higher yield than what PFF holds as expense ratios drag it lower also.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #520
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
1) You are getting mostly bank noncumulative issues as financial preferreds constitute 80% of preferred stock issuance. I do not like financial preferreds because they are non cumulative and are backing a leveraged company (banks), so if crap hits the fan, one will either lose by price drop and/or dividend suspension with no "make whole" provision if company returns to profitability.
2) You get a mish mash of issues that is bought for "liquidity" purposes, not quality. They cannot buy the quality issues I buy.
3) By purchasing individual issues you can get higher quality issues with a higher yield than what PFF holds as expense ratios drag it lower also.

I could be wrong, but I thought you said your mom had PFF and another fund?