Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL... not a chance of me buying a lot of this issue... this is part of my HY bond allocation and I want to lean more toward the low investment grade...

Funny thing is that a year or so ago I did buy some JCP common in my testosterone account and made a few bucks... but I was too scared to hold onto it and it has gone up even more since I sold...

If one is making a small flyer bet on debt this is the way you want to go in my opinion. Its debt ratings have been on the upswing for over a year now. So positive trends, and never missed a payment even at the bottom of the trough a couple years ago. But things change fast, in 5 years it went from investment grade to near bankruptcy because of their then new strategy plan that failed miserably.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #642
Full time employment: Posting here.

Southern Company has called one of its Preferred Issues; Gulf Power 5.75% notes, symbol GUA, has been called for redemption on May 18th 2016.

I own this, and it had been a good income producer for over 2 years. Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #643
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Southern Company has called one of its Preferred Issues; Gulf Power 5.75% notes, symbol GUA, has been called for redemption on May 18th 2016.

I own this, and it had been a good income producer for over 2 years. Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Not surprising considering its debt and its robust debt rating. Wonder if you will see a repackaged version of same issue slotted at 5 1/8% going forward. Its a race to 5% in safe issues... My theory has been hide in the tiny issues and hope the same fate does not await them. But even these are just too high for risk/reward except maybe the CLP issues but I have enough.
So I moved back up the risk curve a bit and bought 1000 shares of OSBCP again....Im not a fan of banks, but where do you go. Nothing short of bankruptcy it will pay since it is a trust issue, not a preferred bank issue. I am just going to be a big boy and hang on until call, which I do not think will happen for a while.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #644
Give me a forum ...

Well, saw someone was selling CVB... so upped my bid 6 cents and it finally filled.... bought at 10.51...
Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #645
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, saw someone was selling CVB... so upped my bid 6 cents and it finally filled.... bought at 10.51...

That is so funny! I saw the selling going on...I actually put a 800 share bid for $10.51 myself....But pulled it quickly and went with OSBCP. I couldnt make up my mind which way I wanted to go. Ultimately I already own CVB and did not have any OSBCP so I went that direction....But it was that close.....
Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #646
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

Texas I couldnt resist and made another small 200 share purchase of the Kinder Morgan bonds today at $10.46. That 7.41% yield is too juicy to resist. You may want to consider looking at OSBCP. They just held their conference call today. Things are definitely on the upswing there. Just reinstated a dividend at one cent per quarter. They said they had no plans to call OSBCP anytime soon. This is a trust preferred like CVB so it is debt not just a bank preferred. I would definitely buy under next dividend difference of 19 cents though. Yield is close to 7.7 at a 10.16-18 purchase.

Add note...Well I was 5 minutes too quick with the trigger as it dropped even more as a big dump was going on. So I did most logical thing and bought 300 more at $10.23. Closed at $10.31 so I think the selling pressure is over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Texas I couldnt resist and made another small 200 share purchase of the Kinder Morgan bonds today at $10.46. That 7.41% yield is too juicy to resist. You may want to consider looking at OSBCP. They just held their conference call today. Things are definitely on the upswing there. Just reinstated a dividend at one cent per quarter. They said they had no plans to call OSBCP anytime soon. This is a trust preferred like CVB so it is debt not just a bank preferred. I would definitely buy under next dividend difference of 19 cents though. Yield is close to 7.7 at a 10.16-18 purchase.

Add note...Well I was 5 minutes too quick with the trigger as it dropped even more as a big dump was going on. So I did most logical thing and bought 300 more at $10.23. Closed at $10.31 so I think the selling pressure is over.

Yea, I noticed way too late that a sale was going on.... and if I had waited I would have gotten my price...

I just moved some more money to my MM account so I can buy some if the sale is going on tomorrow...

I have been looking at the OSBCP..... might take a few shares tomorrow...

I believe you did not buy, but I decided to buy a small amount of Glacier Water as the yield seems pretty good... I have put together a worksheet of my holdings and have calculated a weighted avg of the ratings and was at BBB- before and went to BB+ now.... I plan to not dip below BB- and will probably go back up to BBB- when said and done...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #648
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yea, I noticed way too late that a sale was going on.... and if I had waited I would have gotten my price...

I just moved some more money to my MM account so I can buy some if the sale is going on tomorrow...

I have been looking at the OSBCP..... might take a few shares tomorrow...

I believe you did not buy, but I decided to buy a small amount of Glacier Water as the yield seems pretty good... I have put together a worksheet of my holdings and have calculated a weighted avg of the ratings and was at BBB- before and went to BB+ now.... I plan to not dip below BB- and will probably go back up to BBB- when said and done...

I owned it for a few weeks sold for a nickel higher and got a big $37 dividend...Coolius and I chickened each other out on it. I packaged that money into buying more OSBCP. Glacier may be fine, but I know more about the espionage doings of the CIA, than I do about the company. I just cant get over the secrecy... There was a quiet seller of CNLPL at $52.90 today. Maybe out there still tomorrow. Cant go wrong with that and it will pull your collective bond rating higher!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

Was out golfing all day today, but I was nervous what CVB would do after its drop yesterday. Nice to see its back in its trading range again quickly. Makes me pleased for the time being I bought 300 more at $10.23. The issues outside of my normal utility preferred I usually buy make me nervous and I try to stay around $5k unless its a Ute. so I have more than doubled down here with 1000 issues of it and 1000 of OSBCP. I hope this isnt a trend in my future!

Old 04-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #650
Give me a forum ...

CNLPL still had some dribbling selling going on today so I bought 100 more shares of it at $52.82. I have a tendency to play around with higher yielders then quickly bail out. Sold out my modest JCPenny issue at a 50 cent profit per share and flipped the money into CNLPL. My only "yield flyer" that is not investment grade is OSBCP now and it has been doing well now for several years. So my list now is... AILLL/AILNP, CNLPL/CNTHP, DTZ, KTH, KCC, OSBCP, CVB,MNR-A, and UEPCO. Recently sold my BGEPF on the run up. I am buying an Ag mutual fund monthly so I don't need it as an individual issue anymore. Looking to buy a little bit more, but cant get what I want at price I want, so may change gears again....Or just buy more CNLPL since it has been the easiest to snag lately.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
CNLPL still had some dribbling selling going on today so I bought 100 more shares of it at $52.82. I have a tendency to play around with higher yielders then quickly bail out. Sold out my modest JCPenny issue at a 50 cent profit per share and flipped the money into CNLPL. My only "yield flyer" that is not investment grade is OSBCP now and it has been doing well now for several years. So my list now is... AILLL/AILNP, CNLPL/CNTHP, DTZ, KTH, KCC, OSBCP, CVB,MNR-A, and UEPCO. Recently sold my BGEPF on the run up. I am buying an Ag mutual fund monthly so I don't need it as an individual issue anymore. Looking to buy a little bit more, but cant get what I want at price I want, so may change gears again....Or just buy more CNLPL since it has been the easiest to snag lately.

I picked up 400 CNLPL @ 52.90 last week
Old 04-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Why would you have UEPCO It's yield is 3.26%...

Heck, even if sold at par it is 5.5%....
Old 04-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why would you have UEPCO It's yield is 3.26%...

Heck, even if sold at par it is 5.5%....

That isnt its true price....some 2 share computer bot purchased that. I bought at par 5.5% $100.... Call price is $110... It is one of those extreme illiquids I buy that avoid market carnage. Its part of Ameren. I trust Ameren and am very familiar with it. I only have 50 shares of it, one of my small holdings that I will just keep. I had 5k laying in the bin one day and on a rare day the bid price was priced to sell I obliged them. Not a purchase that will bring me out of poverty, but I wont sell it either.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I picked up 400 CNLPL @ 52.90 last week

If the investing world hadn't created the words "portfolio diversification", I could think of worse investments than having all of ones money tied into an investment yielding over 6% and covering preferreds dividends by 50 times in a regulated monopoly environment. Long live CNLPL!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #655

I have some funds coming from a bond maturing next month; and with few good choices out there, might jump into CNLPL/CNTHP for more.

Hard to find good values in this elevated market nowadays.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #656
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just bought 100 CNLPL @ 52.67 today.

I had another order via another brokerage for 200 at the same price and it remains unfilled...

Sort of random I think.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Nice. makes it fun when you can grab shares at a below current market price.

The last trade was at $53.25, so you have a nice gain already. Think I should follow you on those GTC low-ball orders.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #658

Bill Gross on CNBC today recommended PFF as a very good investment @ nearly 6 percent yield as he feels banks preferred stocks are a good value at this point in the market. WFCPL just continues to go up and now is up to $1237. It is up nearly 5% since I bought it, but the BGEPF has been outperforming the stock and is up nearly 12% from my buy point. CHSCM from buy point is up 3.5% Since that same February buy point PFF is up 2.5%. It may be due to the realization that lower rates may be here longer term and people are buying issues that can’t get called away anytime soon and lock in a decent yield. In any case the preferred stocks are indicating that a rapid increase is not to be feared
Old 04-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #659

Quote:

I had another order via another brokerage for 200 at the same price and it remains unfilled...

Sort of random I think.
Congrats. Got 200 today at 52.90. I should have went market instead of limit.
Had a order in for AiLLL. Snagged 75 at 26.06 last week. I got tired of waiting to fill the rest of the order and cancelled.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sort of random I think.

Good buy, Sunset...The low trade of the day and only one at that price. I saw it hit and though I dont need anymore decided for a shot at $52.68 right after trade...No action for a few minutes then bidders jumped me and price went back up.