Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Bill Gross on CNBC today recommended PFF as a very good investment @ nearly 6 percent yield as he feels banks preferred stocks are a good value at this point in the market. WFCPL just continues to go up and now is up to $1237. It is up nearly 5% since I bought it, but the BGEPF has been outperforming the stock and is up nearly 12% from my buy point. CHSCM from buy point is up 3.5% Since that same February buy point PFF is up 2.5%. It may be due to the realization that lower rates may be here longer term and people are buying issues that canít get called away anytime soon and lock in a decent yield. In any case the preferred stocks are indicating that a rapid increase is not to be feared

Bill has mentioned the preferreds a few times this year and wisely so. He cant bother to waste his time mentioning illiquids so I see why he prefers PFF. But my thinking is I can get better quality issues at higher yields without the expense ratio dragging it down. Plus I dont like bank non cum's which that is basically what that fund is.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #662
Full time employment: Posting here.

Scooped up a few hundred CNLPL this morning @ 52.82. WFC-L continues to rocket, almost to $1,240 now.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #663
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Scooped up a few hundred CNLPL this morning @ 52.82. WFC-L continues to rocket, almost to $1,240 now.

I mirrored you today Jim, buying 100 more at same price you did. I sold all of my DTZ with a quick 40 cent profit yesterday and been adding more CNLPL. My investment account has about turned into an AILLL, CNLPL and CNTHP 3 stock fund.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #664
Give me a forum ...

Has CNLPL missed a div? Last div was 12/8/15 ex and 1/1/16 pay. Next is 6/8/16 ex and 7/1/16 pay.

What happened to the first qtr div?

EDIT: Oooops. Never mind. Found it.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #665
Give me a forum ...

Anybody know what is going on with OSBCP

As of now over 1.3 million shares sold today!!! Avg of 3K....
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #666
Recycles dryer sheets

I just noticed that the dividend for the EYMXP shares I bought in early April has been credited to my account. The $205.08 looks a lot better than the $0.33 I would have gotten from Fidelity's tax exempt money market fund.

Of course, I'll have to pay 15% of the EYMXP dividend.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #667
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

No idea what's going on with OSBCP. Huge volume and big jump. Unfortunately, I do not own this issue, having sold it a long time ago.

CNLPL hitting high today - last trade at $54.24. This is too high a price, hope no one from here bought. Wait for a more reasonable price of about $52.80.

Congratulations to those who bought WFC-L earlier this year. It has risen from $1170 to $1240, I would consider this as close to fully valued - the yield is now 6%. Still a better buy than the $25 issues like WFC-T, WFC-V, etc, at yields of about 5.6% or so.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #668
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
No idea what's going on with OSBCP. Huge volume and big jump. Unfortunately, I do not own this issue, having sold it a long time ago.

CNLPL hitting high today - last trade at $54.24. This is too high a price, hope no one from here bought. Wait for a more reasonable price of about $52.80.

Congratulations to those who bought WFC-L earlier this year. It has risen from $1170 to $1240, I would consider this as close to fully valued - the yield is now 6%. Still a better buy than the $25 issues like WFC-T, WFC-V, etc, at yields of about 5.6% or so.

Just bought 200 shares of CNLPL @ $52.85 at 12:30 pm EST.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #669
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just got back from golf course.... That is almost 1/3 of entire float traded today.... Somebody unloaded a big position....I am always suspicious of these things, but usually it means absolutely nothing, especially on up volume... Closed almost 2 dividends above par. CEO all but said they are not interested in calling in short term.... If this was a year ago, I would flip and rebuy at lower price. But EVERYONE seems to be crazing yield and it is getting harder to rebuy... So I am holding on....
Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #670
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just got back from golf course.... That is almost 1/3 of entire float traded today.... Somebody unloaded a big position....I am always suspicious of these things, but usually it means absolutely nothing, especially on up volume... Closed almost 2 dividends above par. CEO all but said they are not interested in calling in short term.... If this was a year ago, I would flip and rebuy at lower price. But EVERYONE seems to be crazing yield and it is getting harder to rebuy... So I am holding on....

I would think that if someone was dumping that much the price would go DOWN.... but it went up...

Edit to add.. looks like they adjusted the volume and it is just shy of 1 million....
Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

Quote:
I would think that if someone was dumping that much the price would go DOWN.... but it went up...

Edit to add.. looks like they adjusted the volume and it is just shy of 1 million....

Something screwy went on. Another forum had people trying to sell when it went real high and did...But then got the transaction cancelled. Very odd and the temporary price spike too on massive selling... Somebody was obviously wanting these badly... Something got messed up too. To us though it is just one of those odd blip things and everything is fine. Odd stuff happens in preferreds mostly behind the scenes...Like one day Coolius and I both saw a 300 share transaction of CNTHP at $50 when the high bid was $53. It never moved then next day shares sold at $53... Cant be explained by me.
But today is like Christmas...My nice big dividend dumps from AILLL/AILNP/CNTHP all hit the account today...
Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #672
Recycles dryer sheets

between my pfds collected $2,181 in dividends today. Nice...
Old 05-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
between my pfds collected $2,181 in dividends today. Nice...

This is a popular day huh!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #674
Give me a forum ...

I guess some people are thinking OSBCP is not going to be called soon or yield chasing is in full mode now as its price is way higher than I thought it would be. Its not a new issue, so it is odd that enthusiasm is hitting it....
Another day, another 100 shares bought of CNLPL. It has been very liquid lately. It must be a big unwinding of a position.....I flipped my MNR-A shares again the other day...I like to take the dividend and run, in case a call would occur. Then jump back in if the price is right after going ExD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess some people are thinking OSBCP is not going to be called soon or yield chasing is in full mode now as its price is way higher than I thought it would be. Its not a new issue, so it is odd that enthusiasm is hitting it....
Another day, another 100 shares bought of CNLPL. It has been very liquid lately. It must be a big unwinding of a position.....I flipped my MNR-A shares again the other day...I like to take the dividend and run, in case a call would occur. Then jump back in if the price is right after going ExD.

I think since the Fed is now talking like they are not going to raise rates that people are yield chasing right now...

That is bad for me as I did not get all of the issues that I wanted to get... I am not willing to pay up for them either... I will have to bide my time and hope they come back.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:07 PM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Dont be afraid to get the full allotment of cnlpl, whatever that amount is.... Somebody is unwinding a position and it surely has to be about done. A company who covers preferred dividends by 50 times and has a monopoly utility business is about as safe as you can get in the preferred world. Seventy years of continuous payments of the preferreds issued still outstanding is a strong indicator also.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dont be afraid to get the full allotment of cnlpl, whatever that amount is.... Somebody is unwinding a position and it surely has to be about done. A company who covers preferred dividends by 50 times and has a monopoly utility business is about as safe as you can get in the preferred world. Seventy years of continuous payments of the preferreds issued still outstanding is a strong indicator also.

I have the other issue... CNTHP... it is currently 1/3 rd of my pref allocation... I want to invest more in other issues to get it down to 1/4th or 1/5th... so not looking to get more of it...
Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #678
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have the other issue... CNTHP... it is currently 1/3 rd of my pref allocation... I want to invest more in other issues to get it down to 1/4th or 1/5th... so not looking to get more of it...

We needed to have gotten you in preferreds about 6 months earlier, as they have mostly as a group went north again in price. The unknowable question is will they drop in price or are we just heading into a longterm stretch of "lower for longer". Just to show rates can be headed even considerably more lower check out CNLTL from same family of CNTHP.... Its par yield, a very robust 3.8% ....Ouch.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We needed to have gotten you in preferreds about 6 months earlier, as they have mostly as a group went north again in price. The unknowable question is will they drop in price or are we just heading into a longterm stretch of "lower for longer". Just to show rates can be headed even considerably more lower check out CNLTL from same family of CNTHP.... Its par yield, a very robust 3.8% ....Ouch.

I am going to take it slow and see what happens... I have bought about 60% of what I want to hold in the end... I am willing to buy up a bit, but do not want to way overspend....

Might try a few more of buying the dividend and selling and see how that works... I did it awhile back and did OK... but only do it with my play money... what I am doing now is permanent IMO... these are long term investments...
Old 05-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #680
Give me a forum ...

OK, got my CVB I had been waiting for....

But, this has created a question that I cannot find an answer too...

Looking at the free real time site someone put here (not going back to name who) I see that a trade for all but 7 of my shares went through... then a bit later the 7 shares traded with a notation of "CAP election trade"...

I have looked that up and get a bunch of cap and trade links, but nothing on what this really is...

Does anybody know for sure what it means