Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #1041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a quick question.... where do you guys look to get the ex-dividend dates

I would like to know for sure when they are happening, but the few sites that I look at have an old dividend date but not an ex-dividend date...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #1042
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I would like to know for sure when they are happening, but the few sites that I look at have an old dividend date but not an ex-dividend date...

My broker usually has the next ex-dividend date when I look up a stock.
If the next ex-div has not yet been declared, I usually count forward 90 days and use that as a rough date until declaration.

Try Dividend.com as well; but some of the illiquid Preferreds discussed here cannot be found on that site.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #1043
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding KCC, I guess I'm a total return investor as well, so I will think seriously about selling it.

By the way, I have more time since I've retired, so I'm also looking into using covered calls and cash-covered puts to produce some income. Coolius, are you using Think or Swim, or something else?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #1044
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
In your situation I would sell KCC, for all you know in 2 years time you could pick it up cheap as how much longer can this bull run ?
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 AM   #1045
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

For some of them it works to google something like this...Say a CNLPL issue for example.... Eversource declares preferred stock dividends....
And then find one that is the most recent date... The pink sheet illiquids like Coolius states are pretty wonky at times with brokerage websites showing them correctly at all times. There gets to be a predictability in them though... Preferreds can only be paid after being
Declared which can only happen after a Board of Directors meeting...They almost always due this year to year on same rolling date. For example if in 2015 it was declared on 2nd Thursday of August, it would also happen the following year on the 2nd Thursday in August. Some declare months ahead and others a mere 2 weeks ahead.
So if you find the declaration date for 2015 of the quarter you are looking for, more than likely it will happen the day of the week the following year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
Regarding KCC, I guess I'm a total return investor as well, so I will think seriously about selling it.

By the way, I have more time since I've retired, so I'm also looking into using covered calls and cash-covered puts to produce some income. Coolius, are you using Think or Swim, or something else?

Slow, I have ThinkorSwim, but do not use it.

The option strategies I use are basic ones - no exotic stuff like Iron Condors, Butterflies, diagonal, or verticals.

Just plain old vanilla stuff - covered calls, and cash-secured Puts.

My aging brain cannot process the complexity of the exotic stuff, and in retirement I don't have much desire to do so. Too much like work - heck, it IS work!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #1047
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Slow, I have ThinkorSwim, but do not use it.
I have Streetsmart Edge (the Schwab product) and ThinkorSwim (from TD Ameritrade, if anyone's interested).

Like you, I'm planning on nothing more exotic than covered calls and cash covered puts. I haven't placed a single options trade yet, but it looks like using Think or Swim it will be easier to figure out when it's a good time to sell a put or a call than using the Schwab platform.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
I have Streetsmart Edge (the Schwab product) and ThinkorSwim (from TD Ameritrade, if anyone's interested).

Like you, I'm planning on nothing more exotic than covered calls and cash covered puts. I haven't placed a single options trade yet, but it looks like using Think or Swim it will be easier to figure out when it's a good time to sell a put or a call than using the Schwab platform.

You're probably correct; the ThinkorSwim platform allows you to see the break points where profit becomes a loss, which is useful.

However, for the many years doing this, I look at charts and try to sell puts at around what I think is a support floor price - if the premiums make it worthwhile.

When I sell Covered Calls, I usually choose a strike 1 or 2 notches above the current quote. Looking for only small gains, no home runs for sure.

My Preferred/ETD portfolio provides for my living expenses; so gains from options are icing on the cake, I don't want to risk too much in doing this.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #1049
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I recently bought CBB-B 200 shares Aug 3 for $50.17 for my DFIL, and today another 200 shares for $50.15 for DW.

These were both orders I had put in and they had sat there for a week or so before being triggered.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I recently bought CBB-B 200 shares Aug 3 for $50.17 for my DFIL, and today another 200 shares for $50.15 for DW.

These were both orders I had put in and they had sat there for a week or so before being triggered.

Nice. I had a GTC bid triggered today as well, for 200 CBB-B, at $50.16.

Now let's hope that this one remains uncalled for a long, long, time......
Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #1051

WFC-L appears to be ramping up as it approaches the next ex-div date at the end of August.

The yield is now 5.5%, just a little bit better than the rest of the WFC preferreds out there. No longer a great buy. But the non-callable feature still makes it a better buy, if one is concerned with sustainability of income stream.

If it gets back to the $1,300 range, I'm buying back what I sold at $1,332.
Fortunately, that was only 20% of my holding.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #1052
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Coolius-the run up in this one makes me want to sell to capture capital gains-but then I think..... NO-I want to keep this divy coming in 😁

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #1053
Give me a forum ...

I found the steal of the year yesterday... Banks many times issue private placement preferred stocks.. Well I found some from a perpetual cumulative non callable until 2048 par $100 8.48% issued probably around 20 years ago. Some leaked into the "Grey Market" and I found them. Bought me 100 at $90... Very sweet 9.4% yield for the next 30 years. Bank is in strong shape pays common divi and never has missed payment. I guess when they issued these 170,000 shares back in day, they never thought rates would be this low. I got the deal because the issue was never meant to be publicly traded as there was no market ever established for it.. Took 30 minutes on the phone for them to find me some. This one is definitely a vault stuffer...

Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Hi Coolius-the run up in this one makes me want to sell to capture capital gains-but then I think..... NO-I want to keep this divy coming in 😁

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sunsets, I went through the same rationale, just like you.

And I sold 20% of my holdings - 10% sold at $1,262, and another 10% sold at $1,332.

Of course, in hindsight, wish I'd not done it, but at that time I was thinking it would be doing a back & fill, and I could get them back cheaper. And I was wrong....

Heck, WFC-L is printing a price of $1,368 this morning. Definitely not buying at this price. Maybe with all the doom & gloom being screamed from the financial media, it will come true one day, and we'll see WFC-L go below $1,300 - I hope !
Old 08-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #1055
Give me a forum ...

Coolius joined the party and bought with me... FIISO was the ticker...An absolute steal... This was a private pre IPO preferred sale obviously to insiders in 1998 before the bank Financial Institutions Inc came out with the common shares IPO in 1999 at $14 a share... A helluva buy as these are NEVER found...I assume like me, Coolius, you will be taking a dirt nap still clutching the certificates in hand while 6 feet under?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #1056
Dryer sheet wannabe

Very interesting.

Questions:

QuantumOnline says they were issues 2014 not 20 years ago. Is there a better reference?
They issued 3% and 8.75%. How do you know you're getting the 8.75% ones?
You bought at 90 and now trading at 110, you could do a quick flip and make $2K?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #1057

Once I go under, it's up to the wife what she wants to do with them.

It's a shootout at the OK Corral, on the right, FIISO shares of Coolius, on the left, with shiny VISA credit cards in her holster, Mrs. C.

Guess who wins? And how quickly ?

RIP, FIISO
Old 08-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #1058

Quote:
Originally Posted by makd View Post
Very interesting.

Questions:

QuantumOnline says they were issues 2014 not 20 years ago. Is there a better reference?
They issued 3% and 8.75%. How do you know you're getting the 8.75% ones?
You bought at 90 and now trading at 110, you could do a quick flip and make $2K?

Makd, it's easy to make sure one is dealing with the correct issue, just use the CUSIP as well as the Symbol. And, of course, check the description on the quote before submitting any order.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #1059
Give me a forum ...

Quantum has that all butchered and flat out wrong. They are pretty good, but not on this one. The issue was never meant to be publicly traded as no market was ever established for it. Its just a pre IPO private transaction from 20 years ago and somebody had to get rid of some. Stocks with no establish market and market maker go to the Grey Issues which is a total dark horse trading place. Usually just penny stocks and bankruptcy companies there. But a few gems are there such as this one and CTWSO which I own a 1000 shares of that has paid its dividend faithfully since 1956 inception. I dug into SEC filings to get correct info. There is a 3% one somewhere, but I totally disregarded it. Im keeping mine. In todays interest rate environment having a non callable 9.4% yield for me is pure gold for a profitable bank.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #1060
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Once I go under, it's up to the wife what she wants to do with them.

It's a shootout at the OK Corral, on the right, FIISO shares of Coolius, on the left, with shiny VISA credit cards in her holster, Mrs. C.

Guess who wins? And how quickly ?

RIP, FIISO

You may win the battle Coolius... She may not know how or be able to dump these shares, ha!

Closed Thread