Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
CNTHP should be declaring its dividend sometime mid to late December.

Go to the link below, you'll see a sister issue, CNLPL, has its January dividend declared already - which provides a further degree of assurance that CNTHP will follow suit. Click on the Sept 24 CL&P dividend declared item.

https://www.eversource.com/Content/n...press-releases

Congrats on getting the shares. Your price is better than mine - my cost basis is $52.26. I'm confident we'll see the Dec dividend declaration and then its a gravy train ride until redemption - hopefully a very long ride.


Update: Noticed that Mulligan has already beaten me to the response. i tell you, that man is DA MAN for such issues !!

Its only because my iPad sits on my lap whenever Im seated watching tv. If I had a laptop instead I wouldn't be on internet so much! Since I last posted already been the Post Office, and got some groceries at Walmart.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 525
Thanks Mulligan and Coolius
__________________

__________________
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Thanks Mulligan and Coolius

Bought anything else lately Golden? Here is an example today of why you shouldnt worry about CNTHP price. CNLPL had a quick drop today. I tried to get it 13 cents above current bid, then the ask person jumped me immediately and paid ask price of $52.50. Only one person got the $52.25 trade. And I got neither since I tried to shave off a few cents. Oh well, got tons of CNLPL anyways.
I did buy my smallest yielder ever this week. AILLI which is an older sister of AILLL. Has a 5.4% yield, but was bought $7 under call price and $5 under par price. Just goes to show you how low rates can go as in this "low rate" environment it (AILLI) was issued when rates of long issues were even lower.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #144
Moderator
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 5,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Bought anything else lately Golden? Here is an example today of why you shouldnt worry about CNTHP price. CNLPL had a quick drop today. I tried to get it 13 cents above current bid, then the ask person jumped me immediately and paid ask price of $52.50. Only one person got the $52.25 trade. And I got neither since I tried to shave off a few cents. Oh well, got tons of CNLPL anyways.
I did buy my smallest yielder ever this week. AILLI which is an older sister of AILLL. Has a 5.4% yield, but was bought $7 under call price and $5 under par price. Just goes to show you how low rates can go as in this "low rate" environment it (AILLI) was issued when rates of long issues were even lower.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When the Fed increases interest rates in December, it will probably cause a quick drop in preferred prices. Time to load up then.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When the Fed increases interest rates in December, it will probably cause a quick drop in preferred prices. Time to load up then.

Yes, you are correct ....the usual knee jerk response..... I have dry powder waiting for just that event !
__________________
Coolius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When the Fed increases interest rates in December, it will probably cause a quick drop in preferred prices. Time to load up then.

I suspect in many of them you are correct. Like the liquids and REITs. A lot of crosswinds going on though...Threat of yield hikes, flattening of yield curve, world economy weak, US economy sending contradictory signals. Very strange now. That is why I stick mostly to the ones that are yield trapped from call fears. I wouldn't want to be long on a weak hand.
Yet, the few adjustable rate ones I personally track are so far out of the money on a rate increase helping them, they are not worth looking at for me. Some like bank adjustables may be attractive but my preference is to avoid bank adjustables, though they might very well be good investments.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Bought anything else lately Golden? Here is an example today of why you shouldnt worry about CNTHP price. CNLPL had a quick drop today. I tried to get it 13 cents above current bid, then the ask person jumped me immediately and paid ask price of $52.50. Only one person got the $52.25 trade. And I got neither since I tried to shave off a few cents. Oh well, got tons of CNLPL anyways.
I did buy my smallest yielder ever this week. AILLI which is an older sister of AILLL. Has a 5.4% yield, but was bought $7 under call price and $5 under par price. Just goes to show you how low rates can go as in this "low rate" environment it (AILLI) was issued when rates of long issues were even lower.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did just put in a limit order for the same issue for my 90 year old Mom's account. I put in the order at 51.65. We'll see what happens. I haven't bought anything else for our own account other than CNTHP and CNLPL a few months ago.
__________________
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 543
For those who may be interested, today is exDiv for Wells Fargo preferred Series L, symbol WFC-PL.

At current bid of $1,164, yield is 6.44%. There is no call risk since this is a convertible with no danger of the common hitting convert price anytime soon ( if ever ). Qualified dividends.

The yield is very high for WFC, but this is because the issue was acquired when WFC bought over Wachovia. WFC preferreds usually yield 6% or lower.


Disclosure: this is my largest single holding.
__________________
Coolius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
For those who may be interested, today is exDiv for Wells Fargo preferred Series L, symbol WFC-PL.

At current bid of $1,164, yield is 6.44%. There is no call risk since this is a convertible with no danger of the common hitting convert price anytime soon ( if ever ). Qualified dividends.

The yield is very high for WFC, but this is because the issue was acquired when WFC bought over Wachovia. WFC preferreds usually yield 6% or lower.


Disclosure: this is my largest single holding.
I scooped up 10 shares of this one a few weeks ago.
__________________
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #150
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 543
Jim,

I think you'll be pleased with your WFC-PL buy, especially if rate hikes ( after December ) are gradual and strung out over years.

This series is mostly held by institutions, which is both bad & good for us retail types.

Bad because when an institution/HF/ETF dumps big, they drive the price down dramatically. Good because individuals like us can trade small amounts ( 10-20 shares ) for better prices than the posted Bid/Ask.
__________________
Coolius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Jim,

I think you'll be pleased with your WFC-PL buy, especially if rate hikes ( after December ) are gradual and strung out over years.

This series is mostly held by institutions, which is both bad & good for us retail types.

Bad because when an institution/HF/ETF dumps big, they drive the price down dramatically. Good because individuals like us can trade small amounts ( 10-20 shares ) for better prices than the posted Bid/Ask.

Yes, 84% held by institutions... But for income investors this is nothing but a free gift. Latest issued preferred WFC-V has a 5.77% yield vs. the 6.44% yield from L. It is nothing but a freebee as they all rank equally in structure. Cant wait until my HSA funds transfer so I get some shares of L while its in $1160s... That rag tag Vanguard brokerage wont allow trading in it or some others I want to buy... They are a poor outfit for trading preferreds.
Speaking of exD snagged up a couple hundred shares of KTBA at $27.38 yielding about 6.4%. Investment grade "baby bond" by ATT. Not callable until almost the 22nd century. Way past my expiration date.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I submitted a standing order for CNTHP for 200 @ 52.00 that was filled yesterday. But now I see that the last sales were at 51.65 Oh well. Now I just need to sweat it out until the next X dividend date right, to make sure that it isn't called at 51.44? Must be sometime in January - right? Yield 6.30%

Golden Sunsets, your CNTHP buy was very timely. And same goes for the others who picked up a few recently.

We should be getting a dividend announcement shortly, which will put you solidly in the + side even if the stock is called.

There is a current bid for 200 shares @ $53, so that bidder must also be confident of no call risk. Good to see that, eh ?
__________________
Coolius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Golden Sunsets, your CNTHP buy was very timely. And same goes for the others who picked up a few recently.

We should be getting a dividend announcement shortly, which will put you solidly in the + side even if the stock is called.

There is a current bid for 200 shares @ $53, so that bidder must also be confident of no call risk. Good to see that, eh ?

I have feasted at that CNLPL/CNTHP buffet far too much already though it is always a safe, tasty meal. So I am eagerly waiting for my HSA funds to be transferred so I can reestablish my WFC-L position while its near $1170. Would like to spread the rest in a 12 year termination one and an adjustable issue though they will take some work just to sneak a few hundred shares of each into the fold.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have feasted at that CNLPL/CNTHP buffet far too much already though it is always a safe, tasty meal. So I am eagerly waiting for my HSA funds to be transferred so I can reestablish my WFC-L position while its near $1170. Would like to spread the rest in a 12 year termination one and an adjustable issue though they will take some work just to sneak a few hundred shares of each into the fold. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan; what do you mean by a 12 year termination? And why the distinction of 12 years?
__________________
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #155
Full time employment: Posting here.
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Golden Sunsets, your CNTHP buy was very timely. And same goes for the others who picked up a few recently. We should be getting a dividend announcement shortly, which will put you solidly in the + side even if the stock is called. There is a current bid for 200 shares @ $53, so that bidder must also be confident of no call risk. Good to see that, eh ?
Looking forward to the declaration.
__________________
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Mulligan; what do you mean by a 12 year termination? And why the distinction of 12 years?

This preferred is actually a baby bond trust preferred. It is not a perpetual issue like a CNTHP. It was issued in 2001 and matures in 2028 and is not callable. Buying these isn't material for you, since your portfolio is more diversified. But I pretty much have all my assets in preferreds and trust preferreds as I am a total income investor. But if I was a more traditional investor and was allocating 10% of my portfolio for preferreds, I would just go long and not worry about.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Yes, 84% held by institutions... But for income investors this is nothing but a free gift. Latest issued preferred WFC-V has a 5.77% yield vs. the 6.44% yield from L. It is nothing but a freebee as they all rank equally in structure. Cant wait until my HSA funds transfer so I get some shares of L while its in $1160s... That rag tag Vanguard brokerage wont allow trading in it or some others I want to buy... They are a poor outfit for trading preferreds.
Speaking of exD snagged up a couple hundred shares of KTBA at $27.38 yielding about 6.4%. Investment grade "baby bond" by ATT. Not callable until almost the 22nd century. Way past my expiration date.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vanguard's web platform choked on my WFC-L order. Had to call, they transferred me to the bond desk. By that time the price moved and I told them not to enter the order. grrrr...
__________________
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #158
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Vanguard's web platform choked on my WFC-L order. Had to call, they transferred me to the bond desk. By that time the price moved and I told them not to enter the order. grrrr...

There is no choking Jim, it just plain SUCKS for preferred investors. I cant tell you how many issues I have tried to buy there without having to call desk. Thankfully my HSA accounts are competent and can handle the orders. WFC-L has never worked online through Vanguard. And I don't want to have to listen to an adolescent having to tell me a purchase is "minus 30%, 30 day YTC". I then have to tell him I know what I am doing and it isn't -30%. BTW- that minus 30% issue he was trying to talk me out of is up 10% for the year including dividends.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Vanguard's web platform choked on my WFC-L order. Had to call, they transferred me to the bond desk. By that time the price moved and I told them not to enter the order. grrrr...
The Ask price is back down to 1166. Go for it!
__________________
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #160
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
The Ask price is back down to 1166. Go for it!

The liquidity is such you may at times be chasing a ghost and looking back may not get what was traded, as your present bid will always be put at the back of the bus.The best way is to set the bid at the price you are comfortable buying at, and let it come to you in time.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
Golden sunsets
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preferred or not preferred lja0703 Stock Picking and Market Strategy 19 02-19-2015 10:52 AM
Fixed to Float Preferred Stock Richard4444 FIRE and Money 5 11-04-2013 06:43 AM
Choosing Between Pre-tax and After-tax Investing ClockWatcher Hi, I am... 10 05-09-2013 08:05 PM
How to sell individual Municipals and Preferred stock JB Stock Picking and Market Strategy 5 12-27-2007 03:28 PM
Third Party Preferred Stock Tony Tampa FIRE and Money 1 04-25-2006 03:47 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.