Join Early Retirement Today

Real time stock price updates on excel
Old 11-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Real time stock price updates on excel

I apologize if there are other threads with this subject, but do any of you use microsoft excel to display current stock prices/info? If so, what have you found that works best? I tried to import stock price data from yahoo finance and it works ok (doesn't import quite everything that i want) but has anyone else found a better way? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a URL like the following:

http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=aapl+vfsux+vtsax&f=l1

This downloads a .csv (at least in Safari it does) which can opened in any spreadsheet program (I use Numbers). The quotes are current, but it's obviously not hooked up directly into a spreadsheet. I then copy and paste the quotes into my portfolio spreadsheet.

You edit the URL and replace the "aapl+vfsux+vtsax" portion with other stock symbols or fund symbols as needed.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use GoogleDocs. Much easier.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #4

Google finance ( =googlefinance("xom","price") ...xom being Exxon's ticker. Not sure if you have to be in Google's version of Excel.

If you list your stocks and replace the first attribute "xom" for a cell location (A14), you can then just copy down the formula. Updates every few minutes.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Google finance ( =googlefinance("xom","price") ...xom being Exxon's ticker. Not sure if you have to be in Google's version of Excel.

If you list your stocks and replace the first attribute "xom" for a cell location (A14), you can then just copy down the formula. Updates every few minutes.
Thanks marko! Took me about 3 minutes to google that and get my trading googledoc spreadsheet set up. 20 min delayed, but not bad for keeping tabs on things.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Thanks marko! Took me about 3 minutes to google that and get my trading googledoc spreadsheet set up. 20 min delayed, but not bad for keeping tabs on things.
of course you can also have it look up dividends, capgains, dividend dates, returns for week/month/year/3years etc, and a number of other things.

Here's a list of googlefiance commands/attributes. https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

Here is a way to bring the dividend into a google sheet. The formula shows an internal reference to cell C3, so you'd have to change that to the cell reference of your symbol.

Quote:
=IFERROR(IMPORTDATA(CONCATENATE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=",C3,"&f=d")))
I believe I have that formula in my sheet as the google incomedividend function does not work with stock or etf symbols.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

This page has a link to an excel sheet with macro that will perform a bulk download of several tickers you specify, and download the prices to individual sheets in the workbook. You can specify the date range.

The macro is unlocked, so you can view it before running.

I just tested the sheet with different symbols, and it runs fine on Excel 2007.

There are other excel files of interest, so you may want to look around the site.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to give google spreadsheets a try it sounds like. I think I have my excel to where it will update pretty much real time (every few minutes) and im working on some charts and graphs for my stock totals now. I'll see how these turn out and may try it on google spreadsheets as well to see which I like better. I haven't been able to bring in dividends on excel yet so thats something I'll have to try on google

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWIW, I use a Excel "add in" from Technitya called Market XLS that adds functions to access stock data from Yahoo (stocks and options) and MSN Money (stocks).

I have had a recent issue with dividend data that they have said they'd try to fix - MSN Money dividend data was very accurate but that function has gone away and the corresponding Yahoo function doesn't seem to always provide the most recent data.

The library is not free but it seems to me it was a rather nominal fee.