Join Early Retirement Today

Real Yield on TIP?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Real Yield on TIP?

Can anyone tell me how/where to look up the real yield on the TIP etf?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Dunno about the fund, but you can see current bond real rates here: Bloomberg.com: Government Bonds Would be very surpised if TIP were far off the 5 or 10 year bond rates. Check the sponsor's website.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hello youbet,
This doesn't answer your question directly but this site is one of the best I know of on TIPS. He (site owner) is working on new information and adding to the site currently. I think you'll find the answer and more here: Individual TIPS Or TIPS Mutual Fund - The Finance Buff
Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 01-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Can anyone tell me how/where to look up the real yield on the TIP etf?
On iShares web site?

iShares Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (TIP): Overview
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Hello youbet,
This doesn't answer your question directly but this site is one of the best I know of on TIPS. He (site owner) is working on new information and adding to the site currently. I think you'll find the answer and more here: Individual TIPS Or TIPS Mutual Fund - The Finance Buff
Hope this helps,
Steve
This site is full of thought provoking content. Thanks for posting it!

Ha
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post

Thanks everybody! Good info. The above site does directly give the real yield. As of 12/30/08, it's 2.68%. Also lots of other good data such as duration, average maturity, etc. Interesting to comare to the Vanguard inflation protected fund.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Happy to help Ha !!!
Looks like the buff himself post here too.
He and his site are a great source of information.
Later,
Steve
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've been busy reading much of the excellent info suggested here. The objective is trying to understand as best I can the pros and cons of inflation protected MF's, etf's and TIP bonds themselves. And also at what levels they seem to be an attractive purchase......

I've put in an order to buy a small amount of 10 yr TIP bonds in my IRA acct at Schwab at the Jan 6 auction. No commission, so the small quantity is feasible. After reading, it's time for a little learning by doing! I'll report back on how it turns out......

Still struggling with understanding TIP bonds in the secondary market......
Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Happy to help Ha !!!
Looks like the buff himself post here too.
He and his site are a great source of information.
Later,
Steve
Thank you Steve. I joined recently after hearing about this board. I have been hanging out in the FIRE and Money forum so far.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Thank you Steve. I joined recently after hearing about this board. I have been hanging out in the FIRE and Money forum so far.
Buff, I spent a lot of time going through your site after Steve mentioned it. All very good, very clear, and very free from ego poisoning. Great job. I hope you will enjoy it here also.

Ha
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Buff,
I'll add my thanks for your excellent site--I dropped in for a visit a few weeks ago and learned a lot about TIPS and deflation. I hope you enjoy it here, I know you've got a lot to contribute.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OK...... Today's Treasury auction resulted in ten year TIP bonds with a real yield of 2.245%. I was expecting higher. My crystal ball seems to be a little cloudy......

Anyone know of a source of info where "experts" predict the yields that will result from Treasury auctions or forums where this is discussed? Any other way to help make a prediction?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
OK...... Today's Treasury auction resulted in ten year TIP bonds with a real yield of 2.245%. I was expecting higher. My crystal ball seems to be a little cloudy......
More demand for newer issues that haven't had any inflation adjustments to lose. And the ones with NO inflation adjustment to lose will be priced the yield the least.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
More demand for newer issues that haven't had any inflation adjustments to lose. And the ones with NO inflation adjustment to lose will be priced the yield the least.
We talked about this on another thread. When you buy a TIP, you are buying a pure inflation-adjusted security AND a European put struck at 100. As Ziggy says, at auction this put is at-the-money (Index Ratio=1.00000). Since part of the purchase price goes to pay for the put, less is available to pay for the inflation-adjusted payment stream, hence the lower YTM.

BTW, since the January table of inflation-adjustments is available, the Index Ratio for this TIP will decrease by 1% between the issue date (Jan 15) and the end of the month.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
We talked about this on another thread. When you buy a TIP, you are buying a pure inflation-adjusted security AND a European put struck at 100. As Ziggy says, at auction this put is at-the-money (Index Ratio=1.00000). Since part of the purchase price goes to pay for the put, less is available to pay for the inflation-adjusted payment stream, hence the lower YTM.

BTW, since the January table of inflation-adjustments is available, the Index Ratio for this TIP will decrease by 1% between the issue date (Jan 15) and the end of the month.
OK... I found the other thread. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
OK... I found the other thread. Thanks.
Sorry, I should have linked the thread to which I was referring. Here it is, if anyone else wants to look at it:

TIPS Yields

BTW, looks like you've made a nice profit on those TIPS already.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Ahh, that explains why I saw TIPS in the secondary market yielding about 3.5%. These were originally 10 year bonds that have about 5 years to go.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote