Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Titus, you are undoubtedly a clever fellow. But do you perhaps see a contradiction when one who is well prepared to go it alone picking his own stocks, and who has had a 12 year history of success doing this is also asking lot of people who are unkown to him on an anonymous internet forum for stock picks?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Titus, you are undoubtedly a clever fellow. But do you perhaps see a contradiction when one who is well prepared to go it alone picking his own stocks, and who has had a 12 year history of success doing this is also asking lot of people who are unkown to him on an anonymous internet forum for stock picks?

Ha
Stop spoiling the fun, ha.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yeah Ha - don't be shortsighted.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
....I realize maybe you're just shortsighted.
REWahoo, did you forget your glasses AGAIN? However did you manage to RE without them?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

BAX is pretty cheap right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I like dividend stocks, especially right now. we are too young to have so much of our nestegg in mutual funds (about 36%) so I am going to max my wife's roth out with blue chips this year I believe (mine is already maxed).

I am thinking LLY or BMY. I don't own any other pharma's. These ones cashflow well, have very low P/E's (like 5 for LLY i think) and good div rates, (about 5% for LLY). however the stock will not likely grow much.

Before I do this, does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts for me to ponder?
BAX is fairly cheap, decent dividend and good growth prospect a year or so out. Took a big hit in early May so currently undervalued.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
you bring up a great perspective and I really appreciate it. I appologize for being disrespectful, that wasn't my intention, but rereading the posts from a different perspective I kind of created a battleground. I was really looking for affirmation of particular low p/e div stocks but opened up discussion for other topics and that is exactly what I got.

I think what I should have began with was "I want to balance my portfolio to be more growth/stock weighted, less funds but at the same time appreciate a conservative approach with the particular types of companies I mentioned".

I'm not really interested in funds, as i mentioned we have a great deal already there and am I looking for riskier (somewhat) growth opportunities that are hedged with dividends.

thanks again for the perspective.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

the other thing is, I mentioned a couple pharma companies. I don't own anything in that industry and a lot of it is because I am uncertain of it. I think I was also looking more for feedback on that as well and should have directly asked for it.

With that said, LLY and BMY appear on paper to be fantastic opportunities and I more or less was hoping to either find someone who could talke me out of them, or at least try to so I could feel more confident in my move to those companies. I consider my investments to be long term so I tend to move slowly. Afterall, I have the rest of the year and then some to make a move on the IRA's.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to give you a hot tip without charging you. I am accumulating DGS and I am up already more than 22% since May 21st. This is where the action is at. I made 10% the day of the flash crash, so up more than 30% already this year. It's perfect for your Roth.

I wouldn't touch a stodgy ol' big pharma stock with a 10 foot pole. Every single one of them is a customer of mine.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'm going to give you a hot tip without charging you. I am accumulating DGS and I am up already more than 22% since May 21st. This is where the action is at. I made 10% the day of the flash crash, so up more than 30% already this year. It's perfect for your Roth.

I wouldn't touch a stodgy ol' big pharma stock with a 10 foot pole. Every single one of them is a customer of mine.

the p/e and yield are promising. the ytd is negative, but over the long haul i haven't looked yet. holdings turnover is lower than industry avg, which is nice in my opinion. They are heavy in finance and consumer goods, that's interesting and if they do well now, I like that foundation for when the economy truly rebounds. thanks for the tip, I will give it some consideration and look deeper.

GE was a favorite of mine for the last year or so. but I'm about as heavy as I want to be in it. the divs are nice I have them reinvest to more shares.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Are you saying YTD of DGS is negative? Since when is a plus 11% negative?

Holdings turnover? There should be almost no turnover.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

pssst... Putting $$$$ into a Roth for the long haul, eh? Want something a little edgy? Don't overlook specialty and rare earth metals. I like ABAT and LYSCF. The sky's the limit.
Regards,
anonymous tipster