Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I'm using a +/-15% trigger. Doesn't always give me enough to do, so I might try 10% sometime.
As you are already 100% in stock, you must have meant rebalancing between sectors, or domestic/international. Right?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Being able to think on your own is a valuable skill. This clip explains perfectly why I like to watch CNBC, I was thinking about this as Larry Swedroe wrote in his blog today to avoid CNBC as there is nothing of value there since all that information is already known.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As you are already 100% in stock, you must have meant rebalancing between sectors, or domestic/international. Right?
Yes, I slice and dice, each slice with a target percentage.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #244

Temporarily at 23% stocks as today I sold WR Westar Energy in my aftertax account for 37.44. Will most likely be switching these funds in VVC in the coming weeks to get back to 25%

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Old 09-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #245
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you use for a stable value fund, if you don't mind me asking?
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #246
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post

Being able to think on your own is a valuable skill. This clip explains perfectly why I like to watch CNBC, I was thinking about this as Larry Swedroe wrote in his blog today to avoid CNBC as there is nothing of value there since all that information is already known.
hilarious
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
What do you use for a stable value fund, if you don't mind me asking?
For my non long term bond portion I use a combination of a 5 year treasury ladder, but for the sales I did from 50% that money is sitting in the Vanguard ST treasury fund.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #248

To recap and update: back in September 2014 I went from 50% in stocks to 25% in stocks, briefly for a period I went back to 50% stocks but sold again for a net loss on that excursion of about 1%. Today my stock allocation is 21% but this is more from selling individual stocks I thought were too highly valued and not being able to find an adequate replacement. While the stock market has managed over the past year and a half to stay in this tight range it continues to not act well in my opinion, and I am not seeing very good values. Utility stocks, one of the best performing sectors over that time in the S&P500 appear to be fully valued and the small stocks such as Russell 2000 have rolled over and dropped 13 percent since Sept 2014. Stocks are acting like they are ready to drop off the shelf they have been trading at for the past year and a half. The oil drop continues to indicate continued deflationary pressures and I expect the FED increase in rates will have difficulty in holding but I remain open to other evidence. Keeping my funds available for upcoming discounts as of now,

Old 01-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
To recap and update: back in September 2014 I went from 50% in stocks to 25% in stocks, briefly for a period I went back to 50% stocks but sold again for a net loss on that excursion of about 1%. Today my stock allocation is 21% but this is more from selling individual stocks I thought were too highly valued and not being able to find an adequate replacement. While the stock market has managed over the past year and a half to stay in this tight range it continues to not act well in my opinion, and I am not seeing very good values. Utility stocks, one of the best performing sectors over that time in the S&P500 appear to be fully valued and the small stocks such as Russell 2000 have rolled over and dropped 13 percent since Sept 2014. Stocks are acting like they are ready to drop off the shelf they have been trading at for the past year and a half. The oil drop continues to indicate continued deflationary pressures and I expect the FED increase in rates will have difficulty in holding but I remain open to other evidence. Keeping my funds available for upcoming discounts as of now,

My opinion, low oil, if it stabilizes, will have a longer term INFLATIONARY effect as people will spend less on it. Also, the fed should have zero trouble whatsoever keeping rates at .5% until they wish to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #250

I increased stocks from 10% (since just before Christmas) to about 20% at the close on Wednesday.I am watching closely today (to go to 40%) as we should get a "trade able" rally here before we push lower.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reduced Stock holdings to 25% today from 50%
Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #251

Reduced Stock holdings to 25% today from 50%

I move very slowly, I'm not in a hurry. I'm in a lot of cash but don't feel the need to buy unless it's a huge down day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #252

38% equities and holding fast. 10 years of living expenses in cash. I wonder how the 70% +equity people feel now. COLA'd pension'ed need not apply. I envy you.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #253
Recycles dryer sheets

At ~75% equities, I am fine, thank you. As long as one has enough cash and bonds to ride out 5-7 years, a higher equity %'age is not so scary, IMHO.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #254

Another 2% drop in the S&P and I will rebalance to get back to 50% equities.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
.... I wonder how the 70% +equity people feel now. ....
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just fine. Why wouldn't I be? Again, sure the market has dropped, and may drop more - but it is dropping from heights that a lower AA never achieved..Shouldn't those who are lagging behind be the concerned ones?

So if the market drops in half, and then half again - we can talk

PS: No COLA pension either.

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png 5YR-SPY-VBMFX.png (67.9 KB, 30 views)
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #256
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
At ~75% equities, I am fine, thank you. As long as one has enough cash and bonds to ride out 5-7 years, a higher equity %'age is not so scary, IMHO.

+1

Exactly
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
38% equities and holding fast. 10 years of living expenses in cash. I wonder how the 70% +equity people feel now. COLA'd pension'ed need not apply. I envy you.

I'm at ~82% and bought more today. At this rate I'll hit 85% and if I'm lucky and the market drops 20%+, I'll hit 90%+.

But it does help that I'm still accumulating.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I'm at ~82% and bought more today. At this rate I'll hit 85% and if I'm lucky and the market drops 20%+, I'll hit 90%+.

But it does help that I'm still accumulating.

Outside of a CD that will mature soon, I am 100% all in. Fellow forum member PM'd me my favorite illiquid stock had a dump today so next thing you know Im stealing $5,000 from my gambling account to get me 200 more shares. Glad that account is over filled from past years of winnings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
+1
I am at ~70% equities. My equity allocation has only dropped about 3% with the recent volatility so I feel no need to re-balance anytime soon. Overall I am down about 8%. This is a good test for me as I just retired in August 2015. My non-equity holdings are mostly CDs. I really need to dig into the numbers to fully understand the relationship between the change in my AA and and overall performance.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #260
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Outside of a CD that will mature soon, I am 100% all in. Fellow forum member PM'd me my favorite illiquid stock had a dump today so next thing you know Im stealing $5,000 from my gambling account to get me 200 more shares. Glad that account is over filled from past years of winnings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I saw some AILLL and was wondering who got that.....I have been lurking for more AILLL
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote