Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Can you supply examples of each type of hard asset stock? That was mentioned in the other thread, but I didn't see the source of the graphic you posted. I'm interested...
Found my answer in the Gone Fishing article you linked.

Quote:
The S&P North American Natural Resources Index tracks hard assets. It consists of 62% energy and 15% metals and mining. These top-10 stocks represent about 43% of its holdings: Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Schlumberger, ConocoPhillips, Occidental Petroleum, Suncor, Freeport-McMoRan Copper, Apache, Barrick Gold and Halliburton.
I'm not sure REITs fall into this hard asset category so well. Will read the Gone Fishin article a few times...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
This may be a dumb question, however, do you buy REITS/ETF's like VNQ and hold them? Or do you buy low, sell high and re-buy. Thanks
I intend to buy and hold these things almost forever.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Roth IRA was 100% reits until very recently which is about 24% of my AA. They have had a great run. I just moved all that money to a balanced fund (vanguard managed payout) as I am making my portfolio less risky.

I like REITs but they are expensive right now as are most stocks. Going by past experience if there is a correction REITs will really get walloped hard.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #24

I am a big fan of high quality (IMO) REITS and at times have had up to a 100% allocation to them when they were cheap and everything else I followed was high (1999-2005).

Currently I consider them somewhat more overpriced than the other stocks I follow, and am out of them.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #25

I'm down to just ARCP, AAR, AMT and O. AMT is a cell tower company which converted to a REIT in the last yr or two. Cell tower business is a good business to be in IMO. O is O-kay with me. AAR is an MREIT that is actually positioned for rising interest rates, but NAV continues to erode in the meantime. ARCP has stabilized after growing too fast and wandering from their core strength. REITS make up less than 10% of my portfolio. I like them the ROTH IRA as their dividends are not qualified.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #26

Quote:
I'm not sure REITs fall into this hard asset category so well. Will read the Gone Fishin article a few times...
I guess if one observes the price over time of REITs and natural resources equities, they move generally in the same direction. I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but I think I did some research once on it a while back, and convinced myself that it sounded/looked reasonable enough.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I would eventually like to have VNQ be about 10% of my overall portfolio. Right now I am using my backdoor ROTH contributions to allocate to VNQ and it accounts for slightly less than 2% of my portfolio. I have two rentals, so if I include the equity in them with my REIT percentage, I'm slightly over 10%. Once the rentals are sold, most of the proceeds will go into the REIT to keep the overall portfolio allocation in the same ball park.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Something you might want to keep in mind.

Quote:
From Q: How useful are REITs in a portfolio? | Less Antman:

"Equity REITs are ALREADY included in many stock index funds. For example, around 2% of the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund is invested in REITs and around 10% of the Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund is in REITs."
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
This may be a dumb question, however, do you buy REITS/ETF's like VNQ and hold them? Or do you buy low, sell high and re-buy. Thanks
Definitely try to buy low, sell high, and re-buy. Or if you like, Buy, Hold, and Rebalance. One can have a set asset allocation to VNQ (say 5%, 10%, 15% of equities) and sell when VNQ grows to be more than say (7.5%, 12.5%, 17.5%) back to that nominal allocation. If VNQ drops enough, one can buy more to top it up.

I last sold VNQ on April 10 as noted in the Market Timing Newsletter thread. It was strictly a rebalancing move.

I'll have to check later, but it looks like VNQ after today's drop is up about the same amount as the VTI ETF that I replaced it with.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for the responses!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Realty Income: This REIT Should Be Part Of Every Dividend Investor's Portfolio - Realty Income Corporation (NYSE:O) | Seeking Alpha

(and, of course, the Comments are equally helpful.)

Quote:
Not all dividend-paying stocks are equal, however, and while some have very enticing yields, they might not be appropriate for everyone. That being said, there are a few stocks that have no special titles like "dividend aristocrats," but have offered consistent and reliable income for decades, and have such strong business models, that the likelihood of receiving steady, reliable, and increasing dividends for decades to come is superior to most of the other dividend paying stocks available.

Realty Income (NYSE:O) Is My REIT Of Choice

Unfortunately, this stock is not listed in the dividend aristocrat lineup, but over the years has created enormous shareholder value with its dividends alone. It just might belong in a category all its own.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:23 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I own a REIT fund and I have since 2007.It is 13% of my Portfolio assets.So,for those owning REITS how did you decide what percentage to allocate to REITS ?I like REITS because it pays dividends and I can participate in Real Estate without having to fix any plumbing problems and do not have to deal with a mortgage.
I own Realty Income (O) and Health Care REIT (HCN) and have a real estate fund as well in my TIAA 403b portfolio. About 10% altogether. I own these in part because I no longer own my home, but rent instead and so wanted some real estate exposure. The allocation was based on my sense of what was appropriate from reading over the years.

BTW, some people consider MCD slanting toward more of a REIT...an interesting take on it.

BB
Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #33

Realty Income Corp (O) dividend is at $2.19 (5.10%). Our yield on cost is about 4.8%.

The disclaimer of course is that REIT is more volatile than other midcap stocks. For example, over the last 5 days O is -5.23%. Other REITS I looked at have similar downs (probably interest rate fears). In same period the overall market is down about 1%. MCD is up 1%!

BTW, I think I read that O will be a dividend aristocrat later this year.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The disclaimer of course is that REIT is more volatile than other midcap stocks. For example, over the last 5 days O is -5.23%. Other REITS I looked at have similar downs (probably interest rate fears). In same period the overall market is down about 1%. MCD is up 1%!
I don't think this is true, strictly speaking. According to Yahoo finance, Vanguard's REIT ETF, VNQ, has had a beta of 0.84 over the past three years. This compares to a beta of 1.16 for the mid cap index ETF, VO, over the same period. So in recent years, REITs have been considerably less volatile than mid cap stocks in general.

It's true, though, that VNQ lost over 5% last week, compared to about a 1% loss for VO. This significant underperformance was probably due, at least in part, to interest rate concerns that also hurt bonds and other income producing investments last week.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I own Realty Income (O) and Health Care REIT (HCN) and have a real estate fund as well in my TIAA 403b portfolio. About 10% altogether. I own these in part because I no longer own my home, but rent instead and so wanted some real estate exposure. The allocation was based on my sense of what was appropriate from reading over the years.

BB
These are my only 2 two REITs (had a 3rd one for a while.) I thought they were decent size positions, but when I did they math the were only 2.3% of my portfolio. So I treat them as good stocks rather than REIT allocation.

O is one of the very few stocks I have on dividend reinvest, looking back I see that O reached a low of $14.68 in March 2009. At the time the yield was over 11%. My people really were scared back then..
Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
I don't think this is true, strictly speaking. According to Yahoo finance, Vanguard's REIT ETF, VNQ, has had a beta of 0.84 over the past three years. This compares to a beta of 1.16 for the mid cap index ETF, VO, over the same period. So in recent years, REITs have been considerably less volatile than mid cap stocks in general.

It's true, though, that VNQ lost over 5% last week, compared to about a 1% loss for VO. This significant underperformance was probably due, at least in part, to interest rate concerns that also hurt bonds and other income producing investments last week.
I checked volatility at http://www.etfreplay.com/charts.aspx
VNQ had higher volatility than VO in the periods I looked at. Maybe a different measure of volatility?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I have O and think it is a good stock. Their CEO left recently after many years in that position, they promoted another long time manager to his position. From time to time I have looked for another steady dividend stock and haven't found one that is better.

From time to time I have looked at bulk shippers., particularly NMM Their dividends are very attractive and their stock is down to replacement (scrap?) value but the industry is very cyclical. Were I in my 50s I would be game but I am kicking 75 and don't have the attention span needed to oversee that investment.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #38

The article linked below explains REITs very well. Still learning...
http://portfolioist.com/2014/06/03/r...rally-of-2014/

In the quote below, I trimmed out the ETF tickers.

"To understand the rally in REITs, it is useful to start with an overview of this asset class.* REITs are neither stock (equity) nor bond (fixed income).* A REIT uses investor money, combined with borrowed money, to acquire real estate.* The properties that they acquire can be office buildings, apartment buildings, healthcare facilities, or even digital data centers.* The returns vary between the*specific types of property*owned.* REITs make money from renting their facilities out.*"

The article is dated Jun 2014.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Does anyone think Reits like AAR ARCP, O and VNQ are a little more reasonably priced now?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have O and re-invest the dividends so I don't worry about the current stock price. Seeking Alpha has dividend investing commentary.