Join Early Retirement Today

REITS Anyone?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

REITS Anyone?

I own a REIT fund and I have since 2007.It is 13% of my Portfolio assets.So,for those owning REITS how did you decide what percentage to allocate to REITS ?I like REITS because it pays dividends and I can participate in Real Estate without having to fix any plumbing problems and do not have to deal with a mortgage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have 4.9% allocated to Vanguard US REIT, and that is in my Roth IRA. When the subject of REIT comes up, usually one hears 5-10% allocation recommended, although some disregard it entirely, and others have more (such as you).

When in-laws sold their home (about 15% of their assets at the time) we added the proceeds to their brokerage account. I developed a plan for investing so that we could diversify more than their managed accounts do, and have executed that partially. Currently have 4.1% in REITs, such as HCP INC (HCP), Healthcare TR Amer Inc (HTA), Vanguard Global EX-US Real VNQI, Realty Income Corp (O), iShares FTSE EPRA/NAREIT Global Real Estate ex-U.S. (IFGL).

I'd like to do more with REITs, but will wait for lower prices. This is a taxable brokerage account for in-laws, so that keeps me from going much further. Tax bracket is important. I will stay with 5% allocation as the absolute limit for them.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have three REIT ETFs in our Portfolio (RWX, VNQ, & ICF) representing 12.1 % (as of yesterday's close). The performance (since purchase) of these three are:

(Gains vs Cost)
RWX = +7.3%
VNQ = +32.0%
ICF = +10.6%

We have held VNQ for about six years now and the others less than two. This includes Dividends.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

I have about 10% in VNQ. This is my long term AA. I just trimmed it down from 13% after a nice YTD return so far.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

I too have about 5% of my Vanguard account in their REIT. As my Dad used to say, "they can't make any more land so over the long term the price has to go up" To me it's the best diversification from Stocks and Bonds. Also, many of the financial sources recommend Vanguard since their costs are so low.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

I just got a pitch from Schwab about a new global real estate index fund they're opening. It will track the Russell Fundamental Global Select Real Estate Index -- major foreign holdings look pretty similar to Vanguard's VGRLX. Any thoughts on that one? Expenses are 0.49%, which seems pretty reasonable for a global REIT fund.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I just got a pitch from Schwab about a new global real estate index fund they're opening. It will track the Russell Fundamental Global Select Real Estate Index -- major foreign holdings look pretty similar to Vanguard's VGRLX. Any thoughts on that one? Expenses are 0.49%, which seems pretty reasonable for a global REIT fund.
By what method do they attempt to track this index?

Ha
Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

8% currently in 401K(DFGEX) and goal is to have 10% of total portfolio.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #9

I have my own REIT, with about 50% of my net worth in it. I get ~10% of the equity I have returned as income (after all expenses and allocations).

It's not a 'real' publicly traded REIT, but it is real for me.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #10

We have about 4% of our investments in a REIT fund and a REIT stock. The Megacorp provided financial advisor suggested we increase that to 6%, to gain more dividend income.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I think many funds are getting and staying competitive. I went with VNQ-I and IFGL. The latter has a 7-year track record.

Maybe Schwab can hit a grand slam for you.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Got some NLY and AGNC...maybe 9-10% of stock portfolio. Mom has some NLY, half bought in Jan of this year...
Old 09-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #13

In this thread there is an example asset allocation for a grouping called "hard assets" which includes not only REIT, but also natural resources stocks. There's a calculator that has one financial analyst's idea of what a good allocation would be: Gone Fishing Portfolio. So for instance, that says that 18% allocation to hard assets for a 40 year old, with a 60-40 split natural resources to REIT.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We have rental real estate which we are selling. I will invest a portion of our proceeds in one or more of Vanguard REIT funds.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I think REIT's should be the poster child for chasing performance.

I got out of REIT's (large position in AGNC with a minor position in VNQ) last year when I realized I had bought high and then saw just how sensitive they can be to rising rates.

Their resurgence in the past year is due primarily to rates dropping a bit rather than rising; personally I'm going to wait and see what happens when rates finally do start to rise before I commit up to 5% of my portfolio to them, as I think I would be repeating my mistake if I were to get back into them right now.

Agency REIT's, obviously, are the most vulnerable.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #16

REIT's (VNQ) are 2.5% of our portfolio. A bit light but have 3 houses that cover the rest of my real estate allocation. Working to get that to one house and will lift REIT allocation at that point.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
In this thread there is an example asset allocation for a grouping called "hard assets" which includes not only REIT, but also natural resources stocks. There's a calculator that has one financial analyst's idea of what a good allocation would be: Gone Fishing Portfolio. So for instance, that says that 18% allocation to hard assets for a 40 year old, with a 60-40 split natural resources to REIT.
Can you supply examples of each type of hard asset stock? That was mentioned in the other thread, but I didn't see the source of the graphic you posted. I'm interested...
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

This may be a dumb question, however, do you buy REITS/ETF's like VNQ and hold them? Or do you buy low, sell high and re-buy. Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
This may be a dumb question, however, do you buy REITS/ETF's like VNQ and hold them? Or do you buy low, sell high and re-buy. Thanks
I think it's a fair question.I can only tell you what I do.If you reinvest all the dividends including any capital gains then I think it makes sense to hold onto it through good times and bad.Some might sell and then wait to reenter the market.But,when do you get back in?So for me I just hold on and stay the course.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
By what method do they attempt to track this index?

Ha
Good question, since it's one I don't have an answer for. I'd assume they'd buy the same holdings the index weights in the same proportions, but I don't know that for sure. I'll do some homework.