Join Early Retirement Today

Robot better than humans calling the market
Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Robot better than humans calling the market

This Japanese Robot Calls the Market Better Than a Human - Bloomberg Business

Bloomberg article about Japanese guy w PhD in AI building a robot and correctly predicting market moves 30 days out 68% of the time.

What % would you get if you just predict "up"?

Missed the 15% down move in Jan. Doesn't seem that impressive.

Why is this a story?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
The model makes a simple call -- whether the equity index will be higher or lower after 30 days -- and over almost four years it’s been right 68 percent of the time.
Don't know about the Nikkei, but the S&P 500 daily movement is up 53.6% and down 46.4% for the period of 1950-2015. So, 68% is indeed a bit better than average.

However, if the 32% that the model is wrong costs you more money than what it makes you when it is right, then it's still no good.

For example, suppose that in the 68% of the time when it is right the market only moves 1% or 2%, but in the remaining 32% when the model is wrong the market moves 10% or more in 30 days, it still costs you money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

But because the daily movement is biased upward, the monthly movement will be biased upward even more strongly. I wouldn't be surprised if, historically, the S&P is up about 68% of the time month over month. A quick look at year over year data shows that it's up about 80% of the time on a yearly basis, so 68% sounds about right for the historical month over month movement. I've seen this referenced somewhere, but I can't remember where.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

68% is very close to the number reported in those Dollar-Cost-Averaging versus Lump-Sum studies. LS beats DCA about 68% of the time, but not by much.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My guess is either that just predicting "up" all the time results in a 68% correct rate for the timeframe of data used, he massively overfit to the test set, or he made some other experimental error.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote