Robot better than humans calling the market

From the article:

The model makes a simple call -- whether the equity index will be higher or lower after 30 days -- and over almost four years it’s been right 68 percent of the time.

Don't know about the Nikkei, but the S&P 500 daily movement is up 53.6% and down 46.4% for the period of 1950-2015. So, 68% is indeed a bit better than average.

However, if the 32% that the model is wrong costs you more money than what it makes you when it is right, then it's still no good.

For example, suppose that in the 68% of the time when it is right the market only moves 1% or 2%, but in the remaining 32% when the model is wrong the market moves 10% or more in 30 days, it still costs you money.

But because the daily movement is biased upward, the monthly movement will be biased upward even more strongly. I wouldn't be surprised if, historically, the S&P is up about 68% of the time month over month. A quick look at year over year data shows that it's up about 80% of the time on a yearly basis, so 68% sounds about right for the historical month over month movement. I've seen this referenced somewhere, but I can't remember where.

68% is very close to the number reported in those Dollar-Cost-Averaging versus Lump-Sum studies. LS beats DCA about 68% of the time, but not by much.

My guess is either that just predicting "up" all the time results in a 68% correct rate for the timeframe of data used, he massively overfit to the test set, or he made some other experimental error.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom