Join Early Retirement Today

ROKU?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ROKU?

Couldnít help myself ... bought ROKU at 44 on Friday ...

Their products are very popular with family friends - especially those that are cutting the cord.

What are your thoughts?

stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you are into cord cutting, you need atleast a couple of devices. A Chromecast + Roku or Chromecast + Amazon Firestick or Chromecast + Android box. So it is a good choice.

revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Roku is the best. We have a Roku box on every set in the house - from the oldest Toshiba flat tube with RCA connectors, to the newest with HDMI. We've also had them since the original - when they were 3 or 4 times the size they are now, and much less powerful. Roku gave generous upgrade offers all along.

You'll be extremely happy with it.

Let me recommend you add the Pluto TV (http://www.pluto.tv) channel onto it...it's like a cable system within a single Roku channel.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not cutting the cord, but I just called my cable company (Spectrum) to see if I could get my bill down. During the call they said that I don’t need one of my basic cable boxes if I had a smart tv or Roku. They have an app that essentially. Changes your tv view from the coaxial cable to the internet (WiFi or Ethernet). This is good news for me because that means I can put a tv anywhere in the house without any additional wiring. All I need is a good WiFi signal. Plus, I don’t need to pay for a cable box.

So I’ve been looking into Roku too. Did you get the 4K one which seems to be running $49 or the base one for $29?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I think OP bought ROKU stock at $44...
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
If you are into cord cutting, you need atleast a couple of devices. A Chromecast + Roku or Chromecast + Amazon Firestick or Chromecast + Android box. So it is a good choice.
You do not need Chromecast with Roku. We cut the cord 2 years ago. We have an antennae, a Tablo and Rokus on all our TVs. Never ever needed a Chromecast.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
ROKU?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

ROKU?

Iíve had a Roku (2, 3, and stick that came free with joining Sling) for a while and am very pleased with it.

Iím lucky to have great OTA HD reception (> 40 channels, PBS most-viewed).

The only thing connected to a wired coax output here is an Arris cable modem. Everything else is fed through a Netgear dual-band router (including all computer-like things).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
I think OP bought ROKU stock at $44...
Got it
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Roku is going to see more competition soon, very soon. Nothing I see that is truly proprietary for Roku.

Comcast will soon be offering a streaming box. Spectrum has their own app.

T-Mobile will be offering streaming option and Verizon and AT&T there too.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/10/...eaming-tv-box/
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #10

Roku is a good device. I'm not sure they have enough moat.
https://investorplace.com/2018/11/af...uy-roku-stock/
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #11

I expect Roku to be bought by Apple or Amazon as a strategy to dominate market share... or possibly a TV manufacturer like Samsung or LG.

I'm too far down the road with the Fire TV platform and the tight integration with Alexa. But I do find the platform-agnostic approach of Roku to be quite appealing. So if they get bought by Apple or Amazon that will likely end.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Got it

Me too. Note to self: check the posting forum!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

steelyman ... I do the same thing - all the time!

What started all this was having time to consider the world vice just reacting as I did, ya know ... before.

I have been amazed at the amount of what I consider extraordinary programming content available through Netflix ... so, I bought some NFLX a couple of weeks ago on a dips.

Then we were constantly fighting with the Cox folks about invisible and near invisible rate increases - so, finally beat them down, but before that small success got further into the OTA programming (have previously installed antennas and been very pleased), then started looking into the manufacturers that are trying to pull OTA, internet, provider pushed, etc. all together. While doing this and discussing with friends, many told me of their recent Roku box and Roku TV purchases .... so ... bought ROKU.

Simplistic, yeah ...
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
You DONíT need a ďcouple of devicesĒ - but this thread is about Roku stock anyway.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The VC my daughter works for has ROKU in its portfolio. They did well and so will its users. The software is now offered in some new TVs. Content is critical. I think the stock will have a good run, maybe for years. I am a bit of a cynic about technology device companies long term. I hope they will not be a one trick pony.

The likes of Comcast are under pressure. I think the legacy hard-wired video providers will be reorienting their services. Comcast has a poor reputation with users, they have a lot to overcome.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Let me recommend you add the Pluto TV (Pluto TV) channel onto it...it's like a cable system within a single Roku channel.
Hmm, interesting. Looks like they have a lot of movie channels and news and other programming. Since it's free, can I assume the channels are all contaminated with ads? If so, probably not for me. I've been thoroughly spoiled by the DVR revolution.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking at Roku’s business, I see more and more devices including parts (if not all) of their value proposition...as a no-cost option. Just last week, a TV salesperson at Costco was asking me why I was considering an Apple TV or Roku when my TV came with Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube functionality built in. For me, there’s some content I want that my TV does not provide that Roku/Apple TV does, but for everyone? It’s just extra complication with an additional remote control to deal with. Based on the above observation, I’d be cautious with the stock...
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Hmm, interesting. Looks like they have a lot of movie channels and news and other programming. Since it's free, can I assume the channels are all contaminated with ads? If so, probably not for me. I've been thoroughly spoiled by the DVR revolution.
Well, obviously there are ads, though I wouldn't say "contaminated". The way I look at it - we're paying for the cheap Hulu plan and it has ads. If this is free and I get tons of content, there's really nothing to complain about.

In the past year, Pluto has also added lots of music channels, as well as college sports networks. Again, it's free, it's consolidated in one place, and the interface is good/intuitive.

We also have a Tivo Roamio OTA DVR that came with lifetime Tivo service included for free, so I can appreciate the DVR and skip commercial feature - makes watching Saturday Night Live on Sunday morning a pleasure.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
For me, thereís some content I want that my TV does not provide that Roku/Apple TV does, but for everyone? Itís just extra complication with an additional remote control to deal with.
A few points:

1. When you purchase a TV which includes streaming capability it's generally the case that it does not do it very well. The TV excels at the TV functionality - it's not built to provide a great streaming experience. Roku, on the other hand, has one purpose and that is to provide the best streaming device available. Their sole mission is performance and functionality of the streaming device. We have two DVD players which include streaming capability as well as our big screen TV and the Tivo Roamio - none of them comes close to providing the experience/performance which the Roku does.

2. If the streaming capability is built in to the TV and the TV dies, you also lose your streaming (which you've also likely paid extra for in the cost of the TV itself). If you have Roku or some other streaming device, you just hook it up to the replacement TV and you're in business - regardless of whether the TV includes the capability.

3. Roku is expandable/adaptable - it's an open system. Developers and content providers can create new Roku channels which can be added in or removed. TVs, DVDs, DVRs and other devices don't - you (generally) only get new content/channels when the manufacturer provides a firmware update which includes it (i.e. you don't get to decide).

Quote:
Iíd be cautious with the stock...
That goes for every technology company/stock.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #20

And the TV manufacturer probably will not update their streaming apps (or vice versa) nearly as often as Roku. I've had this happen with our 3 year old Samsung 60".