Join Early Retirement Today

Not what is being built today
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #81
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not what is being built today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I grew up in a small town, 15,000 people with a major roundabout, which intersected four major highways, so eight entries. It is so large that there is a church and the police station in the center. Cars could be 3 wide at times, but 2 was normal. The only issues are when people hesitate entering the roundabout, and then the person behind rear ends them. Also, the occasional white hair driving the wrong way. Either way I love them. Our driving training included teaching us how to enter, travel, and exit them.
Had to be a traffic circle or rotary, not a modern roundabout.
If any of the entry lanes has a stop sign, itís not a modern roundabout.
If you could play a game of football in the center landscaped area, itís not a modern roundabout.
If the circular roadway has a stop sign, yield sign or signal, itís not a modern roundabout.
If you donít have to slow down to enter it, itís not a modern roundabout.
If you have to change lanes in the circular roadway to exit, itís not a modern roundabout.
If you can easily drive faster than 20 mph in the circular roadway, itís not a modern roundabout.
If it has a park for pedestrians, or a building, in the middle, itís not a modern roundabout.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Not a modern roundabout
Old 10-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #82
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not a modern roundabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As with many other things, this is not universal. I drive into Hartford every weekday around Pulaski Circle. All the entrances must yield to traffic in the circle, except the people coming in on the Whitehead Highway (Exit 29A off of I-91), who have the right of way on entering. People in the circle regularly blow by the yield sign at that point and it is very dangerous.

I'm also very familiar with the traffic circle in Flemington NJ, where Rte. 31, Rte 12 and Rte 202 come together. The people entering the circle on Rte 202 always have the right of way over the people in the circle. The people entering on 12 and 31, however, must yield to traffic in the circle.
The intersections you are describing are traffic circles, aka rotaries, not modern roundabouts, which all have the same rules. Traffic circles and rotaries were abandoned by the US for safety reasons. The UK kept tinkering, reducing the size and adopting the yield on entry rule, to arrive at the modern roundabout the US has been building since 1990.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #83
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In MD we call the roundabout "circles" ["traffic calmers" are those horrid bumps that you have to walk your car over, and that I want to attack with a jackhammer] and they get mixed reviews. Small, single-lane circles cause few problems and are more popular than intersections with lights.

As lanes and exit choices are added, however, it gets harder for drivers to know when to enter, and which lane to enter. It can be scary for a timid driver who wants a completely clear entrance, and is getting honked-at by impatient drivers behind him.
At least with a light, you always know what to do, even if some people don't always obey.
You know what to do at a stop light only because of the signs and lane markings. At a multi-lane modern roundabout, like any other multi-lane intersection, motorists should watch for the lane use signs that tell you which lane to be in based on where you want to go. Like other complex intersections, sometimes only the left lane can turn left, sometimes it can turn left and go through, and sometimes it can go left, through or right. With multi-lane roundabouts entering drivers should yield to all lanes approaching them and not change lanes inside the roundabout.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe

Coe Circle is not a roundabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I agree that they are best described as neighborhood traffic circles. The lack of new neighborhood traffic circles may be the result of priorities of the powers that be in City hall. [grump, grump] The only real two lane roundabout in Portland, to my knowledge, would be at NE 39th & Glisan - which could hardly be described as modern.
Chavez at Glisan is a traffic circle. Stop signs, smooth radial entry, bus stops inside the circular roadway, and the crowned circular roadway.
Neighborhood traffic circles in Portland cost about $15,000 each to construct and only affect speed for about 100 ft from the intersection. Speed bumps/humps and speed tables cost about $2200 each and can be arranged along the entire length of a street, spaced as needed to slow traffic as needed.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #85
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
My main goal was to express my disdain for roundabouts.
I totally understand the safety aspect. If there's an intersection where there's 10 deaths per year, yeah, I can see the need for a roundabout.

― Ernst F. Schumacher
Safety is the #1 reason they are built. #2 is efficiency. Modern, slow and go, roundabout intersections have less delay than a stop light or stop sign (http://tinyurl.com/mythbustersRAB), especially the other 20 hours a day people arenít driving to or from work. Average daily delay at a signal is around 12 seconds per car. At a modern roundabout average delay is less than five seconds. Signals take an hour of demand and restrict it to a half hour, at best only half the traffic gets to go at any one time. At a modern roundabout four drivers entering from four directions can all enter at the same time. Donít try that with a signalized intersection.
Delay = point source pollution as well.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wow. Round and round we go, where our roundabout engineer will stop, nobody knows.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. Round and round we go, where our roundabout engineer will stop, nobody knows.
Guess this thread struck passionate feeling, for and against circular intersections....whatever name they go by.

After having lived in Europe for five years when young (1970s) and been exposed to all kinds of driving conditions and drivers, I much prefer a circular intersection where two lane roads meet. Hate my current cities reliance on four way stops and way too many traffic signals. Waste way too much time and fuel sitting at a traffic light for absolutely no reason except that it is there. Twenty hours a day there is little traffic to control. They exist not to control traffic but to slow speeders down.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When I was fighting a roundabout near my home I found the engineering company had roundabout in their name. Somebody is making a lot of money on this concept.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
...........Somebody is making a lot of money on this concept.
Perhaps, in a round about way.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #90
gone traveling

Record auto sales in USA this year and China car sales on the rebound.

Bodes well for Goodyear now but are we at the cycle peak ?

And .. Where does VW get their tires from ?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With abject apologies to G&S:

It is the very model of a truly modern roundabout,
Itís traffic calming, speed reducing, quite low cost (or thereabout),
Itís circular and intersecting, impossible to reverse out,
It clarifies the right of way but still demands you all look out,
It makes you travel in a ways before you try to just flow out,
It increases traffic capacity or so say its defenders devout,
It is the very model of a truly modern roundabout.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Record auto sales in USA this year and China car sales on the rebound.

Bodes well for Goodyear now but are we at the cycle peak ?

And .. Where does VW get their tires from ?
My new Passat has Continental tires. They also come with Hankook (Korean tires). No NOx tires....
Old 10-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
With abject apologies to G&S:

It is the very model of a truly modern roundabout,
It’s traffic calming, speed reducing, quite low cost (or thereabout),
It’s circular and intersecting, impossible to reverse out,
It clarifies the right of way but still demands you all look out,
It makes you travel in a ways before you try to just flow out,
It increases traffic capacity or so say its defenders devout,
It is the very model of a truly modern roundabout.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think it's time for Porky.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #95
Administrator

We have a roundabout not too far from here that has it's own yelp listing: US 395 & 240 Double Roundabout - Transportation - US395 & SR 240 - Kennewick, WA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Locals call it the double dumba$$ dumbell and navigating it is a lot like being in a pinball machine, imo.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Everything you wanted to know about roundabouts is here.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in southern Louisiana we're starting to see a few being built. For the most part I like them especially since there are some who at 4 way stops have to sit and wait until I come to a stop and only then will they start across the intersection. Glad I'm usually not in a hurry (guess this should be in the pet peeve section.)
Seriously though are some states replacing signal light intersections with roundabouts? Haven't seen that here yet. Mostly at 4 way stops.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Everything you wanted to know about roundabouts is here.

Jimbee - you must be as old as me if you remember that song. I've still got the album sitting in my collection of LP's (that I never play). Bought it when I graduated from high school in 1971. But, not sure I learned anything about roundabouts even after listening to the album countless times.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #99
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRAB View Post
The intersections you are describing are traffic circles, aka rotaries, not modern roundabouts, which all have the same rules. Traffic circles and rotaries were abandoned by the US for safety reasons. The UK kept tinkering, reducing the size and adopting the yield on entry rule, to arrive at the modern roundabout the US has been building since 1990.
It is my impression that the majority of the people who have posted on this thread understood the initial post to refer to rotaries, circles and roundabouts interchangeably and have commented in light of that understanding. You want to narrow the definition to exclude the ones that don't conform to your own preferences. The 'No True Scotsman' fallacy comes to mind.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #100
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You want to narrow the definition to exclude the ones that don't conform to your own preferences.
I didn't create the definitions, they are not personal.
The FHWA, the Transportation Research Board, and Institute of Transportation Engineers are the governing/advisory groups for roadway design and modern roundabouts are as distinct a subset of circular roadways as roses are a subset of flowers.

The FHWA has a video about modern roundabouts on Youtube.

MUTCD graphics Chapter 3C - MUTCD 2009 Edition - FHWA