Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, in summary, you're saying it'll probably go up, unless it goes down first, but it might go down first, unless it goes up? But whatever, life is good.

Dude, seriously, you should seriously consider a second career in diplomacy or politics. You're a natural.

edit to add - j/k
Yes, some friends do say that I have a knack for diplomacy, except for the others who say I have no diplomatic skills at all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So perhaps this is an opportunity to invest in something that will give you a healthier future return?
That's the thinking. I have been patiently waiting, but wonder how much longer I have to wait.

Quote:
Maybe you can be the next John Templeton.
I wish.

I wonder if Templeton ever lost money, and if he did, how long he had to hang on until he made money.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Even with a balanced asset allocation, my portfolio jumped up in one day almost as much as what DS will earn in a year with a starting salary IF he can find a full time job. He's put out many applications and is waiting. It still feels very strange to see that multimillion portfolio balance... I feel the pain of those just starting out in the world who are not in medicine, IT, or engineering...
Speaking of the highest daily fluctuations, I observed a long time ago that my portfolio, and any index for that matter, never goes up in a day as much as it goes down. The worst daily down is about 2x the best daily up.

The most I have lost in a single day was $80K. That was one particular day during the Great Recession. From peak to trough, it was about 10x that. I have more now, but am also better diversified, so have not exceeded these numbers since then.

One is supposed to look at the variations as a percentage and not absolute dollar amounts, but even there, it is tough to see "losing" what I can live on for several months.

But that's the price to pay to stay in the game. Without investing in the market, I never would have that money. I have not added up all of what we saved over the years, but even though we maxed out our 401k over our career the total contribution was only a small portion of the current value.

I am grateful to have lived, worked, and saved during the great boom years of 1980-2000. The future is yet to unfold before our eyes.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
Administrator

S&P 500 Tops Previous Record High

Just saw this thread on the topic of yesterday's intra-day high. But what about closing values?

Let's see, a Google search tells me that the record S&P 500 at closing was 2130.82.

Yesterday at closing the S&P 500 was 2129.90 according to Yahoo.

CLOSE ENOUGH!!! I *LOVE* it! This is simply wonderful. I just hope that it continues. I just looked at my portfolio values, and honestly this makes my day.

The first sentence of the lead article on Yahoo Finance is, "Fears of a stock market crash are hitting new highs." I'm sorry, I'm just completely ruining their fun with all my Wheee-ing and happiness. I'll try really hard to improve.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm sorry, I'm just completely ruining their fun with all my Wheee-ing and happiness.
Oh crap.

Wheee ALERT!!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, heh...

The Oracle of New Orleans has finally spoken. Just what I have been waiting for. There's fairness in this world after all.

Next week, I will go shopping for stocks when my wife's check finally clears. Licking my chops in eager anticipation.

Buy, buy, buy... Heh heh heh...
Old 07-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I cannot stop giggling with pleasure.

See my AA below as I post this, taken from Quicken, my friends. Look at that.

See the cash level, which includes the I-bonds as I stated. Even if I do not redeem the I-bonds, it's still a lot of cash to go shopping next week.

My prayers have been answered. My luck is changing with the Wheee proclamation.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #28
Administrator

Wow! You are sure over-loaded with cash.

I think you should spend some, soon. Maybe a round-the-world cruise on a really high end luxury liner?

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

No way.

If stocks get cheap (with your help, thank you), I buy stocks. Instead of a world cruise now, I can have two later. Delayed gratification is my middle name.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My statements arrived in the mail today and say I made 90 grand in June.

Woohoo! Think I'll order up some caviar -
Old 07-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you order caviar when you are up 90 grand, do you order Alpo when you are down 90 grand?
Old 07-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #32

I wouldn't feed Alpo to my dog.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

S&P on 5/31: 2097.

S&P on 6/30: 2099.

If your FA made you so much money for June, he's a h*** of a trader to beat the market so soundly. Or that he picked the right stocks for the month, and concentrated on them.

PS. One of my stocks went up 19.6% in the last month. The next one went up 9.88%, then the 3rd one 9.64%. Would I want to concentrate my portfolio on these?
Old 07-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I wouldn't feed Alpo to my dog.
My dog won't eat it.

That's really me for the sake of self preservation, if he ate Alpo we'd both be ill.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just saw this thread on the topic of yesterday's intra-day high. But what about closing values?

Let's see, a Google search tells me that the record S&P 500 at closing was 2130.82.

Yesterday at closing the S&P 500 was 2129.90 according to Yahoo.

CLOSE ENOUGH!!! I *LOVE* it! This is simply wonderful. I just hope that it continues. I just looked at my portfolio values, and honestly this makes my day.

The first sentence of the lead article on Yahoo Finance is, "Fears of a stock market crash are hitting new highs." I'm sorry, I'm just completely ruining their fun with all my Wheee-ing and happiness. I'll try really hard to improve.
Oh nooooooo!!!

At least I have some tax loss harvesting to do if we suffer a big drop (again).
Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #36

My FA didn't do any trading that I know of, the bag just grew by itself. He did pick the stuff but that was last year.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #37

Really now, mr. Sachs? yahoo finance headline after the expected continuing record highs:
Yahoo!

Quote:
Goldman stuck with a neutral call on equities on both three- and 12-month outlooks, but added that if stocks rallied further, it would reduce risk in that segment.
If stuff becomes more expensive, risk drops?!

Quote:
It expected equities would remain stuck in a "fat and flat" range, offering little in the way of returns, but suffering from high volatility.
Things will be stable, except they won't be?!

Quote:
Within equities, Goldman said it preferred defensive, low-volatility, stable growth companies.
As opposed to others who prefer aggressive high-volatility unstable shrinking companies?!

Incredible ..
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Really now, mr. Sachs?

Incredible ..
Sorry, but if you want real advice from GS, it's gonna cost you.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
So do we break this sideways trading range for a new leg up? Or back to S&P 1,800?
I hope back to 1800
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #40

I hope this is not surprising

100 years of charts tell me this is what S&P 500 does all the time.