Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

ERD50: Thanks for mentioning the shift to third party sellers. I mentioned previously the I had to wait 30 days for a cheap battery charged to come from China.

I didn't realize when I placed that Amazon order with multiple items that was going to be the case. One thing I did notice was that within hours after placing that order, the battery charger was shown as "shipped", causing me to not be able to cancel the order. Nice trick, those Chinese have figured out.

I don't want this to turn into a bash Amazon exercise as other online vendors I have done a lot of business with are heading in the direction of using 3rd party vendors. One in particular is NewEgg, which used to only sell computer parts. Now they sell everything and some of it through third party vendors.

I would suspect that sooner or later, Amazon will get tagged negatively for these business practices and the lofty stock price will take a big hit. I could be wrong, though, and I am frequently wrong when picking stocks. The only sure way for its stock to take a hit is if I were to place an order for my account.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
So I took a shot at buying some stock a couple months ago. I bought 10 shares of Amazon at $254. It is at $305 now. This represents a small part of my overall portfolio.

At what point do you decide to "sell" or "hold"? Obviously there are a lot of factors at play, such as company and industry outlook, tax consequences, etc.

If I were to sell, I would gross profit roughly $510, but would also have to pay an additional 30% on that (25% federal short term cap gain, and 5% state tax) so I would net about $357.

If I sold and netted $357, would you say I did well?

I'm new to the whole trading thing (just usually invest in mutual funds/ETFs), but I wanted to test the waters with individual securities.
SELL. Use the proceeds to buy a good book on Passive Investing. Think hard about it. This will be your best investment ever! I mean it!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I'd report back to let you all know that I decided to sell today. I sold at ~$313 and bought in at $254 for a gain of $59 a share, less 30% to Uncle Sam with a net profit of about $41 a share, or $410 overall. Bought in Mid May. The S&P500 is only up about 1.90% for that time period, and this stock (after taxes) will have me up about 15.5%.

Nothing to write home about but this was my first time trying individual securities. I just plan to take the $400 and re-invest it in my ETF allocation.

Also just redeemed about $600 of credit card rewards points and am investing those in my standard ETF allocation.

This equated to a nice $1,000 in additional savings this month, on top of my regular savings
Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
I thought I'd report back to let you all know that I decided to sell today. I sold at ~$313 and bought in at $254 for a gain of $59 a share, less 30% to Uncle Sam with a net profit of about $41 a share, or $410 overall. Bought in Mid May. The S&P500 is only up about 1.90% for that time period, and this stock (after taxes) will have me up about 15.5%.

Nothing to write home about but this was my first time trying individual securities. I just plan to take the $400 and re-invest it in my ETF allocation.

Also just redeemed about $600 of credit card rewards points and am investing those in my standard ETF allocation.

This equated to a nice $1,000 in additional savings this month, on top of my regular savings
I enjoyed reading about your thoughts and processes going through whether to sell or not. I bought all together close to 500 shares of Intel earlier this year. It was my first stock purchase in over 15 years. I guess I will just hold it because the only reason I bought it was for the almost 4.5% juicy dividend. Although I know they say never let the tax tail wag the dog, I could never stand to sell unless I got the long term cap gains tax rate of 15%. Hopefully I will get over this stock thing, and eventually sell and put it in my mutual funds where it belongs.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

If my math is correct, you made a 14.00% (after tax) profit in 2 months.
Very nice!

I would never invest (directly) in Amazon as I don't respect them as a company.

That being said, ultimately the decision is up to you.

Regards