Join Early Retirement Today

short term bond money
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

short term bond money

I was wondering what most of you have your non stock market money in since money markets are zero.I was thinking SHY or VFISX along with Vang short term corp.Or Vang has short term bond market which is a mix of the 2.CD'S for 5 years yielding well under 2% seem too long to be locked at that rate.Actually US Bank has a CD special now at 2% apy up to 249000 for 59 months...any thoughts on thatThanks
hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My real short term funds (next 6-18 months of spending) is in Discover Bank (~ 1%).

My bond allocation is 74% VFIDX Vanguard Intermediate Corporate, VFIJX Vanguard GNMA fund and 16% VWEAX Vanguard High Yield. In aggregate, these funds have a weighted average duration of 4.8 and a weighted average yield of 3.75%.

I may transition to some shorter duration if it appears interest rate increases are imminent.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Thanks...this is a difficult time for new bond money.I hate having it sit in a money mkt.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's in fgmnx and tlt, neither of which I would buy just now.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

Recently put money into PRWBX short term bond fund in leiu of additional CDs.
Duration 1.62 yrs
One year yield: 2.22%
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm half VBTLX and half VFSUX, but there's no good alternative right now. It's better than a MMF until interest rates increase (2014?). But no question it will be dicey when rates and yields increase and bond fund NAVs drop.

Some advocate more in (high dividend) equities, but that's still increasing risk no matter how you spin it.

Lots of threads on this subject here and other forums, search will give you plenty of opinions.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

I've dabbled in some lower-grade corporate bonds and some municipal revenue bonds. Haven't put a significant % in either since they carry some risk, but you can find 4% plus returns. I'm tempted by junk bond funds since historically junk bonds have been hurt less than other bonds when rates rise.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have a large taxable account, but what I do have is in VwTLX (long term munis). It's liquid and paying about 3-4% right now.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Short term muni bond fund...NSMIX.

Not state specific and shorter duration for when rate rise, NAV should be less effected than longer term, but give up some yield. 1.68% tax free
Cnote325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The current inflation rate is 2.7%. That is down from last year's 3.5%. Given that MM accounts pay very near 0%, there is a nice loss every year to inflation. Hmmm.. Over two years that looks lke a 5+% loss. So.... How much does the Short Term bond market account have to go down, to make up the over 5% we may lose to inflation over 2 years? Savers don't really have many good choices at the moment for money they do not want to put at much risk.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

5 yr CD's are better than a lot of the options. Ally bank's penalty for terminating early is the last 60 day's interest.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
5 yr CD's are better than a lot of the options. Ally bank's penalty for terminating early is the last 60 day's interest.
Yes, if you are willing to give up liquidity for 5 years. May work out, may not...though you would indeed know exactly what to plan on over the 5 years.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
Yes, if you are willing to give up liquidity for 5 years. May work out, may not...though you would indeed know exactly what to plan on over the 5 years.
Midpack, correct me of I am wrong. Reading through my bank's "fine print" on CDs, I can put my money in the CD and if I change my mind, the penalty for "liquidating" my money is just the last 60 days interest. At current rates, I calculate that after 4 months you will be at the same point, with the penalty, that you would have been if you just left your money in a MMF or high yield savings. Ymmv.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
Midpack, correct me of I am wrong. Reading through my bank's "fine print" on CDs, I can put my money in the CD and if I change my mind, the penalty for "liquidating" my money is just the last 60 days interest. At current rates, I calculate that after 4 months you will be at the same point, with the penalty, that you would have been if you just left your money in a MMF or high yield savings. Ymmv.
Good point, though from what I've read the terms on CD's can vary considerably. I may be wrong, but is assume the better the interest the more "punitive" the penalties for withdrawing.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #15

yes, everyone should read the fine print for themselves. Ally is offering 1.69% APY (I "scored" 2.33% last July). Penfed, with 365 interest forfeiture is offering 2.00% APY, looking at bankrate, the highest I saw in a real quick search is 1.80% APY and I have no idea what the penalty is. Ally may not be the best, but it is far from being the worse. I don't know if you can establish a relationship between the penalty and interest rates.

Of course, I'm comparing to MMF and high yield savings, not to what the highest APY for a 5 year CD is. I've had a hard time finding a CD early withdrawal penalty less than 60 days.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral
yes, everyone should read the fine print for themselves. Ally is offering 1.69% APY (I "scored" 2.33% last July). Penfed, with 365 interest forfeiture is offering 2.00% APY, looking at bankrate, the highest I saw in a real quick search is 1.80% APY and I have no idea what the penalty is. Ally may not be the best, but it is far from being the worse. I don't know if you can establish a relationship between the penalty and interest rates.

Of course, I'm comparing to MMF and high yield savings, not to what the highest APY for a 5 year CD is. I've had a hard time finding a CD early withdrawal penalty less than 60 days.
So is it the opinion of most that something like Vang sh term corp is a better optionthan a cd for a good chunkof money...about 40 % of my portfolio?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have the really short term money in VFSUX. My other bonds (about 2/3 as much as the VFSUX) are in VBTLX
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #18

For short-term bonds, I like Thompson Plumb Bond and PIMCO Low Duration. Vanguard's short-term investment grade is also a good one. For municipals, I like Wells Fargo Adv S/T Muni and Fido's short-intermediate muni income.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Lots of suggestions here: Life, Investments & Everything: If You Want To Earn 3% Risk Free On Your Cash, Hurry Up

Personally, I think money markes are a fool's game and may well just go away as their business model does not work any more. Bond funds are fine, but I would not use them for the rent money. Asking for principal losses. I think the best place for money you don't need for a year is I bonds, presently offering a 2.7% yield for a year. Problem is that you are limited to 10k per SSN and must wait a year to access funds. Otherwise, a mix of CDs with reasonable surrender penalties and the highest yielding deposit account you can find (1% if you are lucky) are probably the nest options out there.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote