Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

So I calc'd my initial purchase that I made on 8/6/2012 manually and compared. Since the tool starts at the beginning of the year, I entered data in the tool starting from 2013. But, the price was actually lower, thus showing more dividends. Since my purchase in late 2012 included one dividend payment, the numbers weren't super far a part for my small purchase. The tool also shows a better return on share price. The 2013 price was around $35 but I bought around $37.

Final Score: Div Calc Return: 28.06%; Annualized: 8.59%
My manual Calcs: 21.57%; Annualized: 5.67%

(Note, I do re-invest my dividends, but my calculations like yours did not factor that in)

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Petershk: Do you plan to put this tool somewhere on a website once it becomes fully realized? I have your link but not sure if that's the final site. I'd hate to lose this!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Petershk: Do you plan to put this tool somewhere on a website once it becomes fully realized? I have your link but not sure if that's the final site. I'd hate to lose this!
Yes. I set this up as a permanent site, so I plan on live development for as long as there is mutual interest from users and developer(s). Bookmark away .
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
So I calc'd my initial purchase that I made on 8/6/2012 manually and compared. Since the tool starts at the beginning of the year, I entered data in the tool starting from 2013. But, the price was actually lower, thus showing more dividends. Since my purchase in late 2012 included one dividend payment, the numbers weren't super far a part for my small purchase. The tool also shows a better return on share price. The 2013 price was around $35 but I bought around $37.

(Note, I do re-invest my dividends, but my calculations like yours did not factor that in)

Do you mind giving me your input dates, amounts and which stock? This is really helpful information. I've noticed quite a range of returns when I use various investment calculators, and also variation in underlying data which is a bit disturbing :P
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Pretty interesting tool. I track my dividend yield for my portfolio but since it's mostly broad index funds, the amount doesn't seem to change much.

Are you able to download data in bulk from Yahoo? or do you query on the fly?
I query icharts case by case.

That said I'll probably setup a DB to cache the more popular requests. I know there's a rate limit on yahoo so if I start hitting that I'll either buy a data source or implement a caching system

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post

UPDATE:
-Thanks for this info! I found a pretty stupid bug in my annualized return calculation, so hopefully it's more correct now.

-I added support for arbitrary start and end dates. It might be buggy in some browsers, but I have tested it quite a few times. It TRIES to find a valid date if you pick weekends and holidays, but this was more of a PITA than I had expected.

-Still working on graphs. Not hard to display them... hard to make them meaningful.

-Working on side by side compare in the summary table.

-Working on some kind of "stability" measure that somehow represents the lumpiness of returns... this will be especially important when there's multiple symbols supported.

-Having more fun than a real job:P
Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

It's very generous of you to share this work with everyone.
Somewhere in my folks I have a sheet that downloads dividend data for multiple stocks. I'll think about this some more and post a link.

What you are accomplishing can be partially done with yahoo finance. No surprise there.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=VZ&a...=28&f=2016&g=v

There is a button near the bottom that exports to a spreadsheet. Your effort goes further by adding CAGR, etc.

An app is very useful when it can handle a portfolio. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the support!

Yes. The yahoo data is powering the site for now and when you do the query you get pretty much that same data as a text file, which is great.

It was just a bit of a pain to then convert it to monitor cash flows.

It's probably easier in the short run for me to just use a Google sheet and do the math that way but writing the software is fun and easier to share... plus... hopefully eventually it'll have enough functionality to be more useful than a spreadsheet... although time will tell on that front.

If people find it useful I'll be pretty motivated to keep working on it... I really enjoy the rapid development process!

Old 05-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

Wow! this is very useful. I own VWEXL so it's nice how much i need to accumulate before retirement to know my expected dividend payout in the future.

Thank you!!!
tripods68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good job. This is very cool. For some reason, I sometimes get an error when entering certain symbols saying:

"Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/ divicalc/ public_html / index.php on line 86"

For example it works for VWELX but not VTI.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
Good job. This is very cool. For some reason, I sometimes get an error when entering certain symbols saying:

"Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/ divicalc/ public_html / index.php on line 86"

I used VTI with the default entries elsewhere.
I did not see any errors.
It is very cool.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

For VTI what date did you use... I'm not doing good error checking on the situation where the symbol didn't exist at the starting date.

Also... added a very simple graph. I highly recommend doing it on Vbmfx going back to 1987. I found it neat to see the long term payout for bonds. I'm going to add inflation adjustment but actually I kind of hate inflation adjustment the way it's done.

I had a thought about doing a separate inflation adjustment that targets biggest costs: house, car, health and school. I am pretty sure those costs have risen a lit more and reflect the real impact mire accurately than bananas and milk

Old 05-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
petershk,

I find this tool very useful, especially if you can work in the following functions:
1) Be able to enter a portfolio of any number of holdings (I have 45+ securities)
2) Show monthly (& annual) estimated dividend income from the entire portfolio

Having total return, CAGR, highest & lowest months, etc would be great in a 'total portfolio' setting.

Nice work, thank you for sharing this
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
For VTI what date did you use... I'm not doing good error checking on the situation where the symbol didn't exist at the starting date.
Yes, that was the problem. I initially put in a date that was too old and instead of telling me, it gave the error. I agree with adding functionality as a higher priority than good error checking. Thanks again.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got error message too, can't remember what fund or ETF I put in. But it generated error at year 2000 but not year 2002.
Perhaps the ETF didn't go back that far.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, that was the problem. I initially put in a date that was too old and instead of telling me, it gave the error. I agree with adding functionality as a higher priority than good error checking. Thanks again.
It's always a balancing act which is why I think live development is so effective :P.

As a developer I always crave adding new features and dread dealing with edge cases and error handling. By knowing that other people have to use it, it keeps me balanced because I have to think "hmm... if someone doesn't know how this works, how will they know this special weird problem that I know how to avoid cause I wrote it."

There's definitely a better catch all than an incomprehensible error message.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Some meaningless but entertaining stats.

Apologies for non-US people... I'll add everywhere else next time if people are actually interested.

Just a Screenshot of the small # of google stats.

I just assume that the overlap of users of divicalc and statistics lovers will overlap. Whenever I use a site/app I'm always curious to know how that site's use breaks down.

Looks like a couple people in NC are spending a fair amount of time beta testing. Thanks for that!

Also a fairly active user in the Philippines.

I think session duration and bounce rate are much more meaningful than # of sessions or # of users. I care about the quality of a solution as opposed to the number of people looking at it .

Thanks for the support and feedback. It's how I'm "paid" for this "job" .
Attached Images
File Type: png divistats.png (63.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I got error message too, can't remember what fund or ETF I put in. But it generated error at year 2000 but not year 2002.
Perhaps the ETF didn't go back that far.
It's the most common problem I run into when I use it myself. I haven't found an easy way to know when the "start date" of a given symbol is, and I've just been too lazy to solve the problem. almost every other calculator handles this problem so I shouldn't be so blasé about it.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #39

Seems like a useful tool. I've bookmarked it and will plan to do some comparisons later this week.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Should be fixed now. It should automatically change the start date to the earliest data it has available.