Join Early Retirement Today

So, where to put about $20k?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So, where to put about $20k?

I've got a 401k rolled over into an IRA where I can now buy stocks/funds as I see fit (not limited like traditional 401Ks).

I'm considering a little bit of ORB, and very likely some more BRK.B (got 100 shares already), and FSLR. Admittedly I'm a little leary that FSLR is having a more difficult time making more inroads that they haven't already broken through. And BRK.B seems like a safe haven.

Any suggestions/ideas on these or other stocks?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you'll find a lot of people here recommending Vanguard Index funds... I have about 15% of my total investments in them myself. All of my equities are Large Cap dividend producing stocks, I have kind of made my own "MF" of sorts. They are doing quite well and include GE, PG, VZ, CVX, XOM, MMM, BAX, MCD, IBM, INTC, JPM, PEP and YUM. I generally have a bond ladder set up to balance the volatility as well as PCRIX and a Northern REIT fund. I generally balance my portfolio by buying more Vanguard funds including admiralty shares (VWINX)

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatika View Post
I think you'll find a lot of people here recommending Vanguard Index funds... I have about 15% of my total investments in them myself. All of my equities are Large Cap dividend producing stocks, I have kind of made my own "MF" of sorts. They are doing quite well and include GE, PG, VZ, CVX, XOM, MMM, BAX, MCD, IBM, INTC, JPM, PEP and YUM. I generally have a bond ladder set up to balance the volatility as well as PCRIX and a Northern REIT fund. I generally balance my portfolio by buying more Vanguard funds including admiralty shares (VWINX)
I have considered getting some VFINX along with some AAPL. I like the dividends that PG pay out, but I can remember getting close to being burned by C (Citigroup), just before I sold them off somewhere back in 2006 at about $50/shr.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post
And BRK.B seems like a safe haven.

Any suggestions/ideas on these or other stocks?
I owned BRK.B for a while in tax-defer acct and enhanced the return by selling covered options. I usually pick a couple ticks up from what I paid. Like getting a dividend.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote