Join Early Retirement Today

Social Investment Initiatives
Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Social Investment Initiatives

There is a movement driven by Governments and various private investment companies to promote "social impact investing". It seems like a way to get people to invest in various infrastructure or community based businesses that would not normally be able to get at funding from individual investors. Also it looks like a neo-liberal market based approach to replace funding that might once have come from taxation. It also looks like a smaller scale and riskier version of municipal bonds. Often the debt instruments are only tradable in a market place setup by the company that sells them. They remind of the micro loan movement.

Would you ever invest in these, what is you opinion of them being widely marketed to maybe unsophisticated investors.?

New UK study looks to turbo-charge social impact investment | Guardian Sustainable Business | Guardian Professional

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

Isn't this another name for PPP (public-private partnerships)? We've seen PPPs for many years, and usually in the success column. Things like stadiums, convention centers, etc.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Isn't this another name for PPP (public-private partnerships)? We've seen PPPs for many years, and usually in the success column. Things like stadiums, convention centers, etc.
In the programs I've seen there isn't any public funding and they are being marketed to the small investor. One I saw was to fund a small hydro electric project. It claimed a 6% to 9% return for a 25 year debenture and the only way you can sell your investment was on a forum on the companies website

https://www.abundancegeneration.com/

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
There is a movement driven by Governments and various private investment companies to promote "social impact investing". It seems like a way to get people to invest in various infrastructure or community based businesses that would not normally be able to get at funding from individual investors. Also it looks like a neo-liberal market based approach to replace funding that might once have come from taxation. It also looks like a smaller scale and riskier version of municipal bonds. Often the debt instruments are only tradable in a market place setup by the company that sells them. They remind of the micro loan movement.

Would you ever invest in these, what is you opinion of them being widely marketed to maybe unsophisticated investors.?

New UK study looks to turbo-charge social impact investment | Guardian Sustainable Business | Guardian Professional
This sounds like a wonderful opportunity-for some other investor.

Ha
Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Quote:
It seems like a way to get people to invest in various infrastructure or community based businesses that would not normally be able to get at funding from individual investors.
I didn't understand this part from reading the article. Why can't these businesses use traditional investment approaches? Are they targeting individuals because nobody else would buy them?

Quote:
Often the debt instruments are only tradable in a market place setup by the company that sells them. They remind of the micro loan movement.
This would scare me to death.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I didn't understand this part from reading the article. Why can't these businesses use traditional investment approaches? Are they targeting individuals because nobody else would buy them?
That's a good question, why can't they get some private equity or do an IPO? The "social" aspect is really important and some projects like to get financing from the local community so that might be a reason for the approach, but I wonder whether they would stand up to the due diligence required to get more conventional financing.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is a movement driven by Governments and various private investment companies to promote "social impact investing". It seems like a way to get people to invest in various infrastructure or community based businesses that would not normally be able to get at funding from individual investors. Also it looks like a neo-liberal market based approach to replace funding that might once have come from taxation.
Doesn't sound like we're talking about stadiums or bridges here.

Sometimes putting the word "social" and "community" in front of something makes a lot of people feel good about the investment.

Feel-good projects and making a profit are often two different things (maybe that's why they can't get traditional funding--or justify taxing for it).
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Doesn't sound like we're talking about stadiums or bridges here.

Sometimes putting the word "social" and "community" in front of something makes a lot of people feel good about the investment.

Feel-good projects and making a profit are often two different things (maybe that's why they can't get traditional funding--or justify taxing for it).
There definitely is an eco and investing in the local community aspect. Also the investments are often not very liquid, I suppose to stop people removing capital from what would be a small pool. I get very nervous when I see promises of 6% to 9% returns on anything today, but with low liquidity that doesn't have a Government guarantee of principal like FDIC.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

I looked a bit more closely at the terms of the investment offered by abundancegeneration.com (a company that specializes in renewable energy projects) and this is what I found

Annual management fee 1.5%
The 6% to 9% return includes return of principal. It looks like the average annual investment return might be 3%, which is 1.5% after fees......a pretty bad investment.