Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Investopdia is a no go for me.

Digging deeper, can't trade mutual funds or bonds .

Back to the drawing board and starting to feel like Goldilocks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like Investopdia is a no go for me.

Digging deeper, can't trade mutual funds or bonds .

Back to the drawing board and starting to feel like Goldilocks.
If you change your mind or choose something else, try to make the delay a little longer than suggested just in case there's a race condition (that's a programming term but you know what I mean). If it's longer than their updates that will reduce the chances of a problem.

And keep the trading fees similar to current fees. $19.99 is too high these days.

If ETFs are allowed, I don't see the big deal about no mutual funds. That's the least of the issues I have with the contest.

Since we're the founding fathers of this contest, I won't create it until you have time to figure out what you want, but I think we need to choose something.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
If you change your mind or choose something else, try to make the delay a little longer than suggested just in case there's a race condition (that's a programming term but you know what I mean). If it's longer than their updates that will reduce the chances of a problem.

And keep the trading fees similar to current fees. $19.99 is too high these days.

If ETFs are allowed, I don't see the big deal about no mutual funds. That's the least of the issues I have with the contest.

Since we're the founding fathers of this contest, I won't create it until you have time to figure out what you want, but I think we need to choose something.
Investopedia does allow for ETFs. But one thing worth noting, I think you have to be a registered user to see the leader board. In other words, look like no viewing of the leader board from the cheap seats sidelines here, which does take away some of the fun and to keep in mind.

As for the parameters and delays, probably won't impact me but maybe some of the other bigger traders here want to chime in as to what settings to use. Just decide on things like the commissions that we can agree on.

I do like start with $1MIL, and 3 year contest.

Probably keep the part of market delay, daily volume and option delay volume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg default game rules.jpg (233.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to register with "How the Market Works" to see how friendly that looks. They might have a viewable public leader board that would be more fun. If not, investopdia would work for me with ETFs.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

I got free trading in real life for up to 100 trades/month, spread between 3 accounts with one particular brokerage, but it may be a special deal. Schwab, where I still have accounts, charges $4.95, so $5 would seem fair for trading fees.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

If this will be more than a year then you definitely have to be the one at the controls because I don't want to commit to sticking around that long. And those who are in it to win will be more likely to lose interest as they fall further behind the leaders.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If this will be more than a year then you definitely have to be the one at the controls because I don't want to commit to sticking around that long. And those who are in it to win will be more likely to lose interest as they fall further behind the leaders.
Went to HowTheMarketWorks. No public leader board either (have to register to view) and the interface seems clunky to me. So, I think Investopdia should be fine.

Guess I'll have to go back to posting updates every once in awhile like I originally planned on Simvest. Or I suppose folks who just want to be a spectator can register and not trade but still sign on to see who's up and who's down.

I don't mind creating the contest as I'll be around for over a year. I think folks can quit anytime so if they lose interest, that's no problem. No requirement to stick it out.

What commission fees do we want then if the default ones are too high? Give some numbers .
Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

What commission fees do we want then if the default ones are too high? Give some numbers .
On Feb. 28 there were articles on Fidelity and Schwab cutting fees to $4.95. That seems about right.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On Feb. 28 there were articles on Fidelity and Schwab cutting fees to $4.95. That seems about right.
I'll use $4.95 or $5 for the fees then.

Hope to have a contest created in a few hours.

NW-Bound -- didn't see your same mention until just now.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Here we go (link to "Beat Boho" contest - v2.0):

Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0
Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #231
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know we abandoned this but I left my investment in it the same and Fermion is headed to the top. That is biotech. It kicks you in the nuts then lifts you to the clouds.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

A way to make the contest work on this Simvest is for someone to start a new contest as a teacher and to review everyone's trades to make sure the prices are correct, but it's too much trouble.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

So is this one over? LOL LOL I still check it daily....... Let me know.........
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #234
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Yeah. It's still there and people could trade but nobody considers it a competition any more.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Note that the "Beat Boho 2.0" contest is alive and kicking .
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #236
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note how Fermion is headed to the very top. Even though we are not trading in this contest anymore, I left the investments the same.

Biotech roller coaster