Join Early Retirement Today

Stock Picking ("Beat Boho") Contest
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stock Picking ("Beat Boho") Contest

Stock and Fund Investors, show us your stuff ...

This is the thread for the "Beat Boho" stock picking contest. Click on the leader board link to sign up, see contest details and see who is up or down throughout the contest.

Leader Board: Stock Contest Status for "Beat Boho"

Last day to join is April 10, 2017.

Contest ends March 11, 2018.

Have fun participating and watching!

Note: Only virtual dollars used. Nothing on the line except your ego and bragging rights .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for starting this thread, easysurfer.

Hope that this will be a fun activity to see how E-R members excel - or not - at investment selections and trading.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, easysurfer.

Hope that this will be a fun activity to see how E-R members excel - or not - at investment selections and trading.
You're welcome. Was Boho's idea to have the contest as it's own thread.

I hope it'll be a fun and educational experience too.

Glad the see the number of contestants growing.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

OK, admittedly totally silly and meaningless to draw any conclusions from a contest like this a few days in, but I just can't pass up the irony that our amazing stock&fund-picker-rock-paper-scissors-player-extraordinaire is dead last among the 12 players (and by a significant margin - the ten in the middle are within +/- 0.1%). Only the winner is farther out from the mean! What are the odds? Oh yeah, worse than a Rock Paper Scissors game!

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png for fun - BoHo stock picking - 15MARCH2017 -- .png (61.8 KB, 40 views)
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We are just getting started out of the gates like in the Kentucky Derby. I'm next to bottom as of that chart, but the good news is only about $650 dollars separate the top to the bottom.

But Splitwdw's (maybe unintentional) strategy, of staying all cash might be hard to beat .
Old 03-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

boho only down a few hundred...
Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't decide whether I like it that way so I can get far behind then beat everyone when I start trading or whether I should start trading stock now. I don't see myself being far behind for long though, so that won't work out. There's nothing flat out wrong with my portfolio. I doubt 11 out of the 12 people have better investments.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #8

In like Flynn.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
But Splitwdw's (maybe unintentional) strategy, of staying all cash might be hard to beat .
Well, there are certainly many one-year periods where cash far outperformed most investments. I would not make a one-time bet against cash in a one year game (though the averages are against it, so I would bet against it if I could place dozens of different bets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I can't decide whether I like it that way so I can get far behind then beat everyone when I start trading or whether I should start trading stock now. ...
Ummm, holding back might be a strategy in a foot/car/horse race, but I fail to see how it can help a portfolio. Less to leverage later. But we shall see.

Quote:
I don't see myself being far behind for long though,
You didn't see yourself being behind at all! This is easy, just pick good ones!

Quote:
There's nothing flat out wrong with my portfolio. I doubt 11 out of the 12 people have better investments.
Well, the numbers say otherwise.

And yes, just a few days, so no real meaning (*). But the irony and excuses are just too good to pass up.

(*) in fact, even a one year look may not have much meaning. Any strategy can work for one year, or fail for one year. It's the long-long term that matters.

-ERD50
Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

As of a week ago I started believing I could beat the market if I trade and I still believe that. Before then I was all about the evidence of the superiority of index funds being less strong than people here say. Best I can figure is that my odds are better than 50/50 of beating an index fund, give or take, unless I trade and then it's no contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
holding back might be a strategy in a foot/car/horse race, but I fail to see how it can help a portfolio. Less to leverage later. But we shall see.
I wasn't holding back as a strategy to help me win. I just wanted to see how my funds do if I don't touch them, and if I hold back there's more entertainment value if I come from behind, but I don't know what I'll do.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

Ok, I'll play! A bit limiting that we only can use three exchanges, that eliminates more than half my real portfolio, but oh well ..

[Edit] clunky interface and made a mistake right off the bat - oops. First order is nearly 100k, i wanted nearly 10k
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

I bought VTSAX......that's it, I'm done for the year.

I'm dead last

Conclusion; indexing sucks.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
... Best I can figure is that my odds are better than 50/50 of beating an index fund, give or take, unless I trade and then it's no contest.
Ummm, but it is a contest! Are you saying you could win if you want to, but you don't really want to? This is crazy. C'mon, bring out the big guns! Trade away! Show us your stuff, don't hold back, you won't hurt our feelings.

-ERD50
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #14

Is there a way to reinvest dividends?

edit.

I just found this on the site

Quote:
How does this system handle dividends?
Dividends are not handled automatically, so you may need to Contact Us if you think you should have received a dividend. It will show up in your Trading History.
Not very "real world" if all you own is VTSAX. I'll just add whatever the dividend is after a year to my final total.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I recall 20 years ago seeing contests like this being quite popular on the Web. Microsoft has one on the investor.msn.com site that I often read for stock news. Back then, the market was going gung ho, and people tried to beat each other in making money. Then, the tech bubble burst, and what the winner did was to manage to lose less than everybody else. It was not fun anymore, and the contest was discontinued.

I did not follow any contest, because I had my own stash to worry about and did not have time to worry about someone else's virtual stash.

But I will remember to check back here often, because I "know" many of the contestants. Boho is new here, and I do not know much about him, but he is an interesting guy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In these contests the only fun thing to do is go big or go home, so I am betting the whole shebang on JUNO in the hope that Gilead buys them out or they win a lawsuit against KITE
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #17

I'm in!
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
In these contests the only fun thing to do is go big or go home, so I am betting the whole shebang on JUNO in the hope that Gilead buys them out or they win a lawsuit against KITE
Yes!

It is that fact that gets me so aggravated when you hear about a contest like this in the news, usually from a grade school or high school class participation. The news will infer that the 'winner' was smarter than Wall Street or X% of 'pros', or whatever. But if I wanted to take a chance in a game like that, and there was some prize for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, I'd also go "out there" and take on lots of risk. Ending up in the middle gets you nowhere. So risk it, you might win, but going average almost assures you 'lose' (the game - but that doesn't reflect real life).

But since in this case, losing big would be humiliating to me, I'll stick with my declaration (w/o bothering to formally enter the contest) that I'm all in with SPY. Easy to test after the fact.

edit --- BREAKING NEWS: Fermion just went from FIRST PLACE to LAST PLACE! (but it's early)

-ERD50
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #19

Look at me out in first place now (with my complicated strategy of buying VTI)!
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
edit --- BREAKING NEWS: Fermion just went from FIRST PLACE to LAST PLACE! (but it's early)

-ERD50
It is small cap biotech ERD50.

Expect Fermion to be last, first, last, first and then either broke or beating everyone by 100%
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote