Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I'll have proven whatever there is to prove near the end and I'll feel free to play more for fun so I'm looking forward to it. I may end up ahead until the last week of the contest.

For the next contest I'm thinking of having people choose a stock for me and I'll go the entire contest trading only that stock.
Cool! I will choose you something good like Radio Shack or Sears.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll have proven whatever there is to prove near the end and I'll feel free to play more for fun so I'm looking forward to it. I may end up ahead until the last week of the contest.

For the next contest I'm thinking of having people choose a stock for me and I'll go the entire contest trading only that stock.
Yes, you may end up ahead until the last week of the contest.

Or not . That's why gotta play til the end. To weed out the contenders vs pretenders .
Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
With your hands tied around your back?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

I'll post the contest standings around major holidays for those not competing but wanting to keep up with the contest. July 4th, I'm not around but tomorrow is Fathers day.

Boho is in 1st place with some separation. There's tighter race for 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

nunnun our voluntary baseline is in 5th.

I'm in the lower half in 10th place .

Spudd has fallen to the bottom in last place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest.jpg (419.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #205

In case someone wants to see updates at the typical intervals, we're at the three month mark so here are the rankings.

I also looked at the difference between my account value and second place and thought of what I could buy. I like the 2017 Hyundai Sonata. Here's one that seems to be the color of money. If it's just a reflection from the trees I'll only drive where there are trees until I win enough for a custom color.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg investment-contest-rank-June-2017.jpg (116.2 KB, 31 views)
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #206

If you were really playing with a cool million, you'd never be seen in a Hyundai! You would have to allocation the difference to the maintenance budget for your garage full of Jaguars.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #207

This is the kind of thing I look for so I have a limit order for almost $500,000 in Rite Aid on Monday. There seems to be a big upside but I don't plan on holding it for long.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'll post the contest standings around major holidays for those not competing but wanting to keep up with the contest. July 4th, I'm not around but tomorrow is Fathers day.

Boho is in 1st place with some separation. There's tighter race for 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

nunnun our voluntary baseline is in 5th.

I'm in the lower half in 10th place .

Spudd has fallen to the bottom in last place.
I'm doing slightly better than I expected.......at this stage put one in the win column for indexing and sitting down with your feet up.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #209

Did Boho just tank spectacularly?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
He's down 14.x% on Rite Aid so far. Not sure what his stop is at on that one.. but apparently it's pretty loose.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
The last time someone pointed that out, I gained $100,000 the next day.

As I said, I bought Rite Aid (RAD). Their merger failed, their stock dropped, and I bought without worrying about whether it's done dropping. Some people wait for it to start rising before buying but I didn't bother. It's not done dropping yet but it's teetering off. They have a new deal in the works that's "expected to close within six months" but hopefully I won't have to wait that long for it to rise.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #212

Seems a shrewd tactic then would be for me to now sell off all and start mirroring you. That way I can achieve this threads goal for sure: "Beat Boho"

Looking forward to your total triumph at any case.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a trip and checking here see that the leaderboard looks a bit different from when I left. Getting interesting, I see....
Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got back from a trip and checking here see that the leaderboard looks a bit different from when I left. Getting interesting, I see....

Can you post an update for us gawkers? - ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can you post an update for us gawkers? - ERD50
Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaderboard.jpg (350.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #216

I'll be lower than that in the morning (oops, maybe higher because it went up after hours) and who knows what in the coming days. I have $490,172.00 of a volatile stock. Best to sign up or you could be missing big moves every day.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here you go...
Thanks, quite a spread there. I wonder how that would compare with a random pick of 15 stocks from the Russel 2000? But it's interesting that the median (tossing out nun) is ~ 1.8% points below nun. So the group appears on whole to have done worse than a dart throwing group?

Maybe, too small a sample and too short a time to tell much (other than I plan to stick to broad-based index funds anyway!).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #218
Full time employment: Posting here.

over 12k in dividends for June after paying margin interest. That's 14.4% returns annualized. I can handle that.
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'll be lower than that in the morning (oops, maybe higher because it went up after hours) and who knows what in the coming days. I have $490,172.00 of a volatile stock. Best to sign up or you could be missing big moves every day.
If I'm not mistaken, Boho will start the day 15th out of 16. Only Spudd is behind him, being down ~10% on a relatively concentrated portfolio of 440,000$ of BBRY (Blackberry Limited), plus a couple thousand in options.

Boho, any plans when to cut your losses in RAD, or will you ride it down all the way if the slide continues? Of course, if you trust in your analysis, you could also double down... RAD1725H2.5 could be an interesting option, though the trading volume is likely too low for your purposes.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Boho, any plans when to cut your losses in RAD, or will you ride it down all the way if the slide continues? Of course, if you trust in your analysis, you could also double down... RAD1725H2.5 could be an interesting option, though the trading volume is likely too low for your purposes.
With RAD? No. I've heard the chances are 50/50 of the new deal going through within the 6 months that the government has to approve it. Seems to me Rite Aid thought the first deal was reasonable, or else analysts would have been saying it would probably fail. With whatever guidance they got from the rejection, they're able to increase the chances with this new deal, so I'm betting it will happen. I read that approval would boost the stock whether it works out for Rite Aid in the long run or not, which I already knew. I think it's likely I'll gain $100,000 within 6 months from RAD.

Now, ARNA, which I just bought, is another story. I'm not as careful as I was in the beginning of the contest, but I think it's volatile enough to go up a bit so I can make a little. I was planning to sell it at the slightest increase all along but I discovered you can't sell too soon after you buy, and the other delays effect my trades too. The remedy for this is just to be careful again.