Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Working fine now.

I'm holding steady in 8th place .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #302
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still no dividends from 8 September payout. Wonder what's up. First late/missed dividend since May.

EDIT: And I've dropped down into Boho territory.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #303
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
And I've dropped down into Boho territory.
For a day. Rite Aid is rising just from a barely reported suggestion that there could be an approved merger in a day or two. It already brought me over $1,000,000.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #304
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
For a day. Rite Aid is rising just from a barely reported suggestion that there could be an approved merger in a day or two. It already brought me over $1,000,000.
And how's that workin' out for you today?

Looks like a case where the news is now settled, so the potential in the stock is gone now? Seen it happen many times before.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And how's that workin' out for you today?

Looks like a case where the news is now settled, so the potential in the stock is gone now? Seen it happen many times before.

-ERD50
I had the impression that people were expecting either the merger to not be approved or the merger to include fewer stores. The price would drop if not approved and rise if approved (after all, Rite Aid wants this so it would be good news). A few days ago there was talk that the deal may not need to be adjusted to include fewer stores, causing the rise, which is understandable. Why it's dropping lower than it was a few weeks ago I don't know. Maybe people are thinking "I don't want THAT much fewer stores" but Rite Aid is probably happier than it was a few weeks ago despite the price drop.

Quarter 2 earnings are expected on September 28. I'll hold. I'll probably sell if they do good. Maybe I'll hold to see if Rite Aid benefits from the deal as they expect they will.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quarter 2 earnings are expected on September 28. I'll hold. I'll probably sell if they do good. Maybe I'll hold to see if Rite Aid benefits from the deal as they expect they will.
Thanks. I still fail to see how any of this can be expected to lead to reliably beating the market. Sounds like a guessing game to me.

Since I'm guessing too, I' prefer to diversify my guesses across a broad segment of the market with an index fund.

-ERD50
Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #307

Quote:
Thanks. I still fail to see how any of this can be expected to lead to reliably beating the market. Sounds like a guessing game to me.

Since I'm guessing too, I' prefer to diversify my guesses across a broad segment of the market with an index fund.

-ERD50
It's about buying low. One of the things I do (more in the past when I was trading in real life) is look for over reactions to bad news that occur when the price had already been especially low for no immediately discernible reason. I look for a few other things too.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's about buying low. One of the things I do (more in the past when I was trading in real life) is look for over reactions to bad news that occur when the price had already been especially low for no immediately discernible reason. I look for a few other things too.
Sure, buy-low sell-high is a good plan, no question about that!

But the question is, how can you expect to have more winners than losers when acting on the same info everyone has?

Do I think the market over-reacts sometimes? Yes. But if that was something that could be identified reliably, and acted upon, those hedge fund managers would be going gangbusters. But they aren't.

And so far, neither are you.

-ERD50
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #309

Quote:
Sure, buy-low sell-high is a good plan, no question about that!

But the question is, how can you expect to have more winners than losers when acting on the same info everyone has?

Do I think the market over-reacts sometimes? Yes. But if that was something that could be identified reliably, and acted upon, those hedge fund managers would be going gangbusters. But they aren't.

And so far, neither are you.

-ERD50
I have my own combination of criteria that I need to try for myself. I'm not competing against only the best. I'm competing with the entirety of the traders and there's room for me to win.

Rite Aid is up 3.85% so far today for no good reason just like it was just way down for no good reason. It could still end up rising 5-10% more like I expected. If not, it's just one of those things. I have ARNA too and I read the transcript of their conference call, as I did with DRAD, and both of those look good so I'm not going to worry so much about Rite Aid.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #310
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have my own combination of criteria that I need to try for myself. I'm not competing against only the best. I'm competing with the entirety of the traders and there's room for me to win. ...
And the other traders are saying the same about you!

Not sure what you mean about "not competing against only the best"? Who are these 'best? The hedge fund managers I mentioned? But they aren't beating the market either.

The only real 'competition' I'm interested in is measured against the broad-based index funds. I don't care about beating other traders, but I'd like to beat the market - but I don't have confidence that I can do that, and don't see enough evidence that it can be done reliably.

Quote:
Rite Aid is up 3.85% so far today for no good reason just like it was just way down for no good reason. It could still end up rising 5-10% more like I expected. If not, it's just one of those things. I have ARNA too and I read the transcript of their conference call, as I did with DRAD, and both of those look good so I'm not going to worry so much about Rite Aid.
Up/down for no good reason? How does one build a strategy around that?

So how are you doing compared to our benchmark nunnun now (up 5.3% on 01SEPT, probably up ~ 6% by now?)?

-ERD50
Old 09-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #311

Quote:
And the other traders are saying the same about you!

Not sure what you mean about "not competing against only the best"? Who are these 'best? The hedge fund managers I mentioned? But they aren't beating the market either.
I don't know who the best are but I'm glad they're not my only competition.

Quote:
Up/down for no good reason? How does one build a strategy around that?
I believe in corrections and bet on them.

Quote:
So how are you doing compared to our benchmark nunnun now (up 5.3% on 01SEPT, probably up ~ 6% by now?)?

-ERD50
At the moment I'm at $973,546.47 and nunnun has $1,066,517.22
Old 09-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #312

Quote:
I have my own combination of criteria that I need to try for myself. I'm not competing against only the best. I'm competing with the entirety of the traders and there's room for me to win.
Not alot of room though. 50% of traders by definition will underperform. Trading costs eat up another 20% or so, possibly even 30%. And traders by definition should be more informed than the average non-trader investor.

Also, I'm pretty sure gains are top-heavy: e.g. the top 5% run off with 90% of gains (numbers made up).

So there may be room, but likely not a pleasant stay for claustrophobics.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #313

Quote:
Quarter 2 earnings are expected on September 28. I'll hold.
I didn't look into it but I have no reason to believe there will be good news on the 28. Unless that changes, I think I'll sell before the 28.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't look into it but I have no reason to believe there will be good news on the 28. Unless that changes, I think I'll sell before the 28.

Did you get out? RAD down ~ 10-11% today.

-ERD50
Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #315

Quote:
Did you get out? RAD down ~ 10-11% today.

-ERD50
No, unfortunately I read that some information about the partial merger will be released in the 2nd quarter report and I figured it would clarify the reasons for Rite Aid liking the deal but the news stories I read don't mention any of that. After it began to drop in the pre-market hours I placed a "Sell: Limit at $2.21" but it hasn't executed yet and maybe it won't. If I was able to sell at the open, I would have but the contest makes you wait. At this point I might as well just keep waiting.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Can we get an EOM standing snapshot please?

- ERD50
Old 09-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #317

Quote:
Can we get an EOM standing snapshot please?

- ERD50
Snapshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest.jpg (137.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #318

Walking to Freetown Christiania, I had to stop and take this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boho.jpg (54.6 KB, 15 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #319

I just placed an order to sell all 207700 shares of Rite Aid at market price. Then I can get back to trading.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #320
Give me a forum ...

I'm on cruise control, coasting in 8th place.