Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

In general, when things tank indexers outperform even more.

Not against cash.

Assuming you can MARKET-TIME it well enough!

But heck, if you can time it, why bother with mere cash? A REAL MARKET TIMER would go SHORT! Leverage that SHORT!!! WORLD DOMINATION, BWAAA_HAAAA-HAAA!!!!!!

:)

-ERD50

A technical error at Fidelity Investments on Wednesday blocked millions of customers from their online brokerage accounts. Attempts to log in were met with an error message reading: “Due to a technical error, the system is temporarily unavailable.” A spokesperson said that the company is working to resolve an “internal tech issue” affecting all users

I log into Fidelity to do research for the contest and the error is still affecting me. Hopefully I can trade later. I'm back on track with my stock picks. I think they overwhelmingly beat the S&P. Practically speaking, I did a rough estimate figuring in how much and how frequently I trade and I think I should do as well as the S&P when the market is up and somewhat better when the market is down. That's if I continue trading as much as I have been in recent weeks.

Last edited:
... I'm back on track with my stock picks. I think they overwhelmingly beat the S&P. Practically speaking, I did a rough estimate figuring in how much and how frequently I trade and I think I should do as well as the S&P when the market is up and somewhat better when the market is down. ...

Your standings in this contest sure don't reflect that optimism!

-ERD50

Your standings in this contest sure don't reflect that optimism!

-ERD50

My rank may not but I think my trade history does. My good picks vastly out number the bad. I used to buy and sell certain stocks over multiple days so it's a little complicated to calculate some of the details but I may work it out and post a nice breakdown eventually. I had a lot invested in a few that were bad. I'm more diversified now and I trade a little differently. That's enough to get back on track.

And by "bad" I mean things like I bought more than I could sell fast enough. For example, I couldn't sell all of DRAD when I wanted. I profited from what I sold when it was up.

Last edited:
My rank may not but I think my trade history does. My good picks vastly out number the bad. .... I had a lot invested in a few that were bad. ...

Well, yep, that's how it works. If we could only count our winners... :cool:

... I'm more diversified now and I trade a little differently. That's enough to get back on track. ....

OK, we're watching! :)

-ERD50

Fidelity's working again. I ordered Charter Communications.

(At $331.05. It's currently down. I placed a sell limit at $332.)

Last edited:
I had 80% good picks, and the bad one isn't that bad (about break-even). Try again?

The number of "good picks" can't put turkey on the table. But we we play that game I have 2 picks, 2 winners and 100% success rate.

Fidelity's working again. I ordered Charter Communications.

(At $331.05. It's currently down. I placed a sell limit at $332.)

Sold all 1200 shares at $333.48.

Sold all 1200 shares at $333.48.

Awesome! Can we get an EOM standings posted, before your 0.07% gain on ~ 40% of your portfolio rockets you to the top? ;)

TIA -ERD50

:

Attachments

• contest.jpg
    contest.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 57
The rankings still don't seem to update properly. I am at $1,032,624.83.

The rankings still don't seem to update properly. I am at $1,032,624.83.

I think now they're only updated when you trade. Yours is from 11/17, when you traded ECYT.

I'm currently at $950,742.04.

I think now they're only updated when you trade. Yours is from 11/17, when you traded ECYT.

I'm currently at $950,742.04.

That can't be it. According to nun:

Yep, an indexer checking in again and still in 7th place. I have literally done nothing apart from 2 initial buys. ....

But nun's contest name (nunnun) is up over 10%. Maybe you should ask the site admins for an explanation?

-ERD50

It's updated when there's a trade or "corporate action", like dividends.

Just for fun, I looked to see how "up98down34" got the lead. It's something called "MNKD" which generated over 80% of the gains. Purchased for $1.27 and up 136%.

It's updated when there's a trade or "corporate action", like dividends.

Just for fun, I looked to see how "up98down34" got the lead. It's something called "MNKD" which generated over 80% of the gains. Purchased for $1.27 and up 136%.

I was stuck on 1.1M for a while in the rankings while my account value was over 1.25M. The rankings have updated today and now show my account value correctly.

The rankings have updated today and now show my account value correctly.

Not for me. I think it might be because I'm holding a short position. Didn't somebody mention earlier that those are not reflected correctly?

Not for me. I think it might be because I'm holding a short position. Didn't somebody mention earlier that those are not reflected correctly?

Aaand I covered (most of) my short position yesterday, which catapulted me all the way into 12th place in the standings! :dance:

Still lagging nun by 82 grand, though. :LOL:

I was stuck on 1.1M for a while in the rankings while my account value was over 1.25M. The rankings have updated today and now show my account value correctly.

So assuming those above you have been trading and updating, does that mean you might be up to around 3rd place out of 22, doing nothing?

Be nice if the site actually updated on NAV rather than only with a transaction - that is just weird.

-ERD50

nun, you sure do know how to pick them :cool:.

I just want to say that it's the wildfires in California that caused RNR to drop after I bought it. It's not my fault.

Back
Top Bottom