Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not know if this is possible, but to allow viewing of trades 1 or 2 weeks late would be sufficient to:

1) let the public know what each contestant did, and 2) let the winning hand keep some advantages.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not know if this is possible, but to allow viewing of trades 1 or 2 weeks late would be sufficient to:

1) let the public know what each contestant did, and 2) let the winning hand keep some advantages.
I don't see such a setting. But I think the peeking at another's hand is more imaginary than real anyhow and won't worry about it anymore.

Imitation is the best form of flattery .

Old 03-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
"Currently, a maximum of 2 shares can be traded due to the game's volume rule."
Um, OK, but I wanted 4,000? This is not a thinly traded stock! I'm afraid Investopia's volume information is completely wrong.

Edit: 20 minutes later, I could buy my desired quantity. Maybe it is just an issue when the market opens.
Looks like the 20 minute market delay?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like the 20 minute market delay?
I thought that meant it takes 20 minutes for the order to be executed?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks Nun. You can be our baseline again.
I ran into the "diversification rule" so I could only buy $500k of VTI.....I just bought VOO with my remaining $500k.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I ran into the "diversification rule" so I could only buy $500k of VTI.....I just bought VOO with my remaining $500k.
Good idea!

Ah yes, those checks and balances.

I'm sitting in cash enjoying the virtual scent of my virtual $1M at this time.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought that meant it takes 20 minutes for the order to be executed?
Not sure. Might be what you thought of before then. About when the market opens.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hm. Rookie question from a first time options trader here:

I bought this put option on COP with a strike price of 50.00$, expiring tomorrow. Got it at .45$ and put in a sell order at .60$ immediately. Well, not immediately, because there is a 15-minute closed window period, but as soon as possible. The stock reacted as I had predicted and dropped back some. It is currently trading at 49.21$.
Here's the catch: While in reality the option has been trading at >.60$ for more than an hour (currently .85$), my sale never went through, and the contracts are shown in my portfolio valued at just .04$ a piece. In real life, the put never went below .25$.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I think the answer is, 'because I'm an idiot'. I bought a call instead of a put, didn't I? 😂
Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Seems like we are in agreement to have open viewing or neutral, so I made the change.

Actually the default is to have the trading history and portfolio open for viewing.

What was I thinking? That the needs of the one or few outweigh the many .

Upon further thought ... folks really aren't competing against one another (like in chess or tennis where an opponent's move directly influences a competitor). This is more like track or swim meet.

Have fun!
Or a golf game, where everyone competes based on their own benchmark / handicap. However it works, thanks. I'm sure quite a few here will be looking at the transaction mix, just out of curiosity.

Quote:

However they do it is fine with me. Closer to the transaction date does give a better sense of how effective the strategy is.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Unless I'm viewing incorrectly, looks like the ranking is shown a day behind anyhow. So, that's already a built-in delay if one tried to see who's on top and match up with which trades. At this moment, the rankings only show three members..those that joined yesterday and not the ones that joined today.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

With a real broker, is there a limit to how many failed or canceled limit orders you could have within a certain amount of time? I think I read there is, and I assume there's no such limit in this contest. There's an API for Investopedia's paper trading simulator that you can probably use to quickly alternate a single limit order between a dozen stocks that you're hoping to catch during a rare drop.

Yesterday, EXAR opened at $12.96, reached a high of $13.03, a low of $10.98, and closed at $12.99. That low of $10.98 isn't so far off from the previous day's closing price of $10.62 which was before the news of the buyout. A computer program that checks many stocks for such rare drops for a day or two after good news about the company gives a trader an advantage almost as if he had forecast the good news ahead of time.

...actually I'm sure there already are such programs but without restrictions on the number of failed limit orders it becomes easier even for an unsophisticated investor to take advantage of unlikely price drops.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hm. Rookie question from a first time options trader here:

I bought this put option on COP with a strike price of 50.00$, expiring tomorrow...
You made me look, as I have a bit of COP.

Saw that it closed today right at $50/share, up $4 or 8.8%. Nice! Again, I do not have enough of it.

March call and put options at 50, expiring tomorrow, are down to 0.20-0.30 range. But with the stock jumping up that big today, put option lost big time, going from more than $5 down to the pennies.

If you did get call or put options for that cheap, and the stock closed right at the strike price, it's 50/50 which way the stock goes tomorrow. One will end up being in the dollar range, while the other becomes worthless.

PS. I bought COP just recently, and have not paid attention. Turned out it dropped from where I bought, and just now recovered to where it was when I bought. So, no net gain yet. Duh!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:26 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
March call and put options at 50, expiring tomorrow, are down to 0.20-0.30 range. But with the stock jumping up that big today, put option lost big time, going from more than $5 down to the pennies.
Right. I saw the huge uptick as exaggerated - after all, they just turned some assets they had on the balance sheet into cash, right? How does that make the company so much more valuable? So I expected it would drop again, which it did, but then it DID close at 50.00$ flat. So maybe I will make some money from this trade after all despite my beginner's mistake.

Next stupid question: I assume we are trading American options here, right? As opposed to European ones? Mine expires today, so assuming it is in the money, do I have to sell it, or else it will expire worthlessly? What happens at the time of expiry if I don't sell? Will it be exercised and I get the underlying?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:40 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Haven't dug around the site. How do they treat dividends?
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I assume we are trading American options here, right? As opposed to European ones? Mine expires today, so assuming it is in the money, do I have to sell it, or else it will expire worthlessly? What happens at the time of expiry if I don't sell? Will it be exercised and I get the underlying?
I would assume that Investopedia uses American options. I don't know what it will do for options that expire in the money. At Schwab, they would automatically exercise it for me. Comes Monday, I then decide if I want to keep the stock or sell it. That happened a few times when I forgot.

Usually, I sell options before expiry to save a few bucks, because Schwab charges me extra commission for the above, then I have to pay commission again to sell the stock.

This brings up a good point with another brokerage that I use. What happens if I forget? I need to check with them. I am getting old and may be more forgetful.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you NW-Bound.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:06 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My broker also automatically exercises options in the money at expiry. A bit more expensive vs. doing it yourself, but not extremely so.

Love that service.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Currently, a maximum of 2 shares can be traded due to the game's volume rule."
Um, OK, but I wanted 4,000? This is not a thinly traded stock! I'm afraid Investopia's volume information is completely wrong.

Edit: 20 minutes later, I could buy my desired quantity. Maybe it is just an issue when the market opens.
Ran into the volume rule on two trades of my own today. Waited about 20 mins, then trade went through.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

All 3 trade attempts were canceled "No Volume in Stock" (?)
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
All 3 trade attempts were canceled "No Volume in Stock" (?)
I think if you add the stock to your watchlist, then you can check the volume.

In the example, the volume for BND was about 140K. I walked away for about 30 mins and refreshed the page, then it was up to about 176K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volume.jpg (147.6 KB, 13 views)