Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #501
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
So does your contest balance include trading costs?
Yes.

https://www.investopedia.com/univers...-buy-order.asp

"In order to simulate a real online trade, your play money account will be "charged" a commission of $19.99 per trade."

The rankings that we post are the account values including the trading costs. It's lower than $19.99 per trade though because we were able to change it to a modern value.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #502

The trading fee is $4.99 in the game, and it is subtracted.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:08 AM   #503
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
Is it an investing game or a trading game?
The two are mutually exclusive in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
I compare the contest to a marathon. Some are in it to win it. Others to finish without getting embarrassed. The strategy to use is whichever works best for the contestants to cross the finish line.
Why are we discussing the goal of the contest? It is literally called "Beat Boho". Can't make it much clearer than that.

Boho, you really need to put up more of a fight. This is like shooting fish in a barrel now.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:30 AM   #504
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
.... Boho, you really need to put up more of a fight. This is like shooting fish in a barrel now.
Yeah, didn't see that coming.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #505

Quote:
Boho, you really need to put up more of a fight. This is like shooting fish in a barrel now.
I just rose above $1,000,000 for the first time since 9/18/2017. Nunnun's $130,000 advantage isn't so scary.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yeah, didn't see that coming.
I don't think anyone saw it coming a few months ago. You'll not see it coming again, soon enough.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #507
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why are we discussing the goal of the contest? It is literally called "Beat Boho". Can't make it much clearer than that.

With the recent standings, "Beat Boho" was evolving to "Maybe everyone can Beat Boho" .
Old 12-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #508
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Nunnun's $130,000 $150,000 advantage isn't so scary.
FIFY!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #509

Indexers need a tax bill to gain $20,000. I just need a couple of hours of research over a few days.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #510
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Indexers need a tax bill to gain $20,000. I just need a couple of hours of research over a few days.
Yawn. As if your holdings had not profited from the general bull market. You're talking pretty big for someone in 17th place.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #511

I had a shot at tying nunnun today because I discovered ONCE at a great price but with the 20 minute rule I have no idea what it will be when bought. It's rising rapidly. Still, I placed a market order with about half of my account value.

...couldn't sell when I wanted either. I still think it's very low so no big deal but I'm down for now.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #512
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had a shot at tying nunnun today because I discovered ONCE at a great price but...
Huh? ONCE opened at 48.77 and peaked at 55.22. Even if you had made an absolutely perfect trade with half your account, that 13% difference wouldn't nearly have been enough to catch nun.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #513

Quote:
Huh? ONCE opened at 48.77 and peaked at 55.22. Even if you had made an absolutely perfect trade with half your account, that 13% difference wouldn't nearly have been enough to catch nun.
I was predicting what would happen by the close. It could still happen except I placed a low sell order so I won't be taking advantage of it if it does.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #514
Recycles dryer sheets

And? It closed yesterday at 49.05. What's the difference?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #515

Quote:
And? It closed yesterday at 49.05. What's the difference?
I mean I was predicting the rise at todays close, a few hours from now. They had back to back bad and good news and I think there's some volatility because of that but I expect it to rise more. I didn't weigh the bad against the good. I was just betting the bad mostly played out and I wanted to ride the good.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #516
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And yet... you are trailing badly after more than 10 months of applying your superior strategies.

I still am very suspicious you are just trolling us, because I don't think anyone can seriously reconcile your statements versus your performance.The "a few more trades like this and..." talk is getting old.

Maybe you figured you'd get lucky, and then could brag about it? I foresee a "Beat BOHO 9,463" and you still wont beat the market any more than monkeys/darts would predict.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And yet... you are trailing badly after more than 10 months of applying your superior strategies.
It's not a 10 month contest. If anyone with a short attention span would like a side contest of months instead of years let me know. I'd trade differently.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #518
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not a 10 month contest. If anyone with a short attention span would like a side contest of months instead of years let me know. I'd trade differently.
Right. Being behind now is all part of a grand strategy. I get it.

It's not like a marathon running race, where holding back might allow you to "pour it on" near the end. Just don't work that way with investing.

Maybe you should have started 2 contests at once - a short one and long one. Start enough, you are bound to 'win' eventually.

I'm pretty sure nun would take a enough time out from napping to join you in a 10 month long contest. Assuming placing those two initial trades isn't too taxing on nun.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Right. Being behind now is all part of a grand strategy. I get it.

It's not like a marathon running race, where holding back might allow you to "pour it on" near the end. Just don't work that way with investing.
It's not holding back. It's just that it doesn't matter yet so I took a break after I dropped and I guess during that time it looked like I can't come back. Now I'm back from my break.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #520

Quote:
It's not holding back. It's just that it doesn't matter yet so I took a break after I dropped and I guess during that time it looked like I can't come back. Now I'm back from my break.
Everyone eagerly awaits seeing the amazing results of your well-thought out stock picking strategies moving forward...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote