Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Does volume need to at least equal what I want to purchase?

Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Does volume need to at least equal what I want to purchase?
There's a daily volume rule and option rule. I used what was on the default. 10% for daily, and 25% for option (though says 10% for option below).

Pulling out the Monopoly rules shows:

Daily Volume Rule - Trades cannot exceed a certain percentage of volume for the day. The default value is 10% and this applies to both stocks and options. This prevents a thinly-traded stock from being traded in the simulator when it can't be traded in the actual markets.

Option Daily Volume - Trades cannot exceed a certain percentage of volume for the day. The default value is 10% for options however this can be edited in custom competitions. This prevents a thinly-traded option from being traded in the simulator when it can't be traded in the actual markets.

My interpretation is, taking the 10% as example, if you want to buy 10 shares, the volume of that stock on the day has to be at least 100 for you to trade.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My interpretation is, taking the 10% as example, if you want to buy 10 shares, the volume of that stock on the day has to be at least 100 for you to trade.
That is correct from my experiences so far. In the order window, there is also a button "Show Max" to the right of the "Quantity" text box. If you click it, it tells you the maximum number of shares/option contracts you can trade.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
That is correct from my experiences so far. In the order window, there is also a button "Show Max" to the right of the "Quantity" text box. If you click it, it tells you the maximum number of shares/option contracts you can trade.
Thanks. Clicking on "Show Max" is even better than using the Watchlist. No need to do any calculations on my own.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My experience has been that options of many mid-cap companies, if they are traded at all, have extremely low volumes. Often, days went by without any trade being made. And when I make a trade, against a computer I am sure, just a couple of contracts will move the price. It's fun to watch.

It is good that Investopia limits the number of contracts you can trade, else you would "make" all kind of money that is not feasible in real life. Options of megacaps or the S&P are more liquid, but trades have nowhere near the volume of their common stocks.

PS. It is interesting to read Mulligan's thread on preferred stocks to see him dealing with low-volume shares. He talked about some preferred stocks with only 800 shares outstanding. Wow.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm guessing I'll be in first place at the next update. I tried buying the same stock in real life for 15 cents less than in the contest but it never got that low so once again I'm doing better in the contest than in real life. This trade was based on a rumor in the news yet the price rose and stayed higher than in cases where there was an official announcement of a similar event. So, now I learned that could happen.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I'm guessing I'll be in first place at the next update. I tried buying the same stock in real life for 15 cents less than in the contest but it never got that low so once again I'm doing better in the contest than in real life. This trade was based on a rumor in the news yet the price rose and stayed higher than in cases where there was an official announcement of a similar event. So, now I learned that could happen.

Got me to take a peek at your trades. Does look like you'll be ahead.

The question now is can you be consistent in the trades over the course of the contest? Especially in an bull market to stay ahead of the SP index you are comparing against.

Anyhow, nice move.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm guessing I'll be in first place at the next update.
Quote:
Got me to take a peek at your trades. Does look like you'll be ahead.

Looks like we spoke a bit too soon. Before we can say "leapfrog", Spudd takes over from 8th to 1st place!

I think we have a race .
Old 04-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #49

I tried buying 200 shares of BA at $177.40 and I got the error:

"Invalid Trade: No Volume In Stock This order did not execute due to a violation of the game's volume rule. Every game has a setting that only allows an order to be executed when the size of the order is less than 10.00 % of the stock's real life trading volume."

It's Boeing and they're in the news. That doesn't sound right.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Quote:
I tried buying 200 shares of BA at $177.40 and I got the error:

"Invalid Trade: No Volume In Stock This order did not execute due to a violation of the game's volume rule. Every game has a setting that only allows an order to be executed when the size of the order is less than 10.00 % of the stock's real life trading volume."

It's Boeing and they're in the news. That doesn't sound right.
Boho,

Did you try clicking on the "Show Max" button before trying to trade or try again later? I had to wait about 20 - 30 mins the other day on two buys.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll give it a shot. Joined today. Good luck gentlemen.
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Boho,

Did you try clicking on the "Show Max" button before trying to trade or try again later? I had to wait about 20 - 30 mins the other day on two buys.
Right now the max is 2841 which is more than 10x what I needed. I don't know what it was earlier. I'll remember "Show Max" next time I trade.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I realized my trades didn't happen because I set them as market orders expecting to get them at the open. Zero trade volume at the open meant the trades were cancelled. So now I'll just wait until near the end of the trading day to put in orders so the volume will be there.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBelowMeans View Post
I'll give it a shot. Joined today. Good luck gentlemen.
And ladies!
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #55

I knew Spudd would think I needed paper but actually rock breaks potato.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
And ladies!
Of course . Good luck traders/investors!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looks like some jockeying for position going on with you with a slight lead over Spudd at the moment.

I like how the ranking at Investopdia shows the current rank and the previous rank. As of current rank, I'm smack dab in the middle .
Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
And ladies!
Thanks for the correction
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Looks like there will be several lead changes by several traders along the way. But the top 5 from yesterday stayed on the top 5, though shuffled around in positions .
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I realized yesterday I hadn't gotten around to trading half my portfolio so I fixed that, we'll see if it gets me anything!

Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote