Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #741
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
To make more money. I don't need easy and I wish people would stop using "consistently" because I don't even know what you mean by it.
Consistently means often enough AND of high enough value to beat the benchmark.

imp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To make more money. I don't need easy and I wish people would stop using "consistently" because I don't even know what you mean by it.
Well, a few months out of a year ain't it.

No, you don't need 'easy', if there was something to show for the effort. But putting a bunch more work, and lagging just isn't attractive.

-ERD50

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #743
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still trying to sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest-volume-bug.jpg (65.3 KB, 15 views)
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #744

And
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest-volume-bug-2.jpg (71.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #745
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Volume rule is "per day", not "per transaction".

You've already traded a bunch of those earlier in the day, reducing what's available now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trade history.JPG (61.7 KB, 8 views)
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #746

You have sold 2160 SYPR and 4816 ANFI so far today.

Like I said yesterday, it's about how many you sell in one day, not for each transaction.

EDIT:
SYPR volume is now 28,394. You can sell another 679 shares.
ANFI volume is now 53,850. You can sell another 569 shares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg todayssales.jpg (32.7 KB, 8 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #747

Oh, per day. OK. I'm done selling SYPR. Still working on ANFI.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #748

I'm still working on selling IRMD. Average volume is around 20,000, but it's been only allowing me to sell in the 500 range, and I started with 4300 shares.

I'm going to chat with the people from investopedia about the simulator (I put my email address into the survey thing that's been popping up).

I plan to suggest that they 1) use a rolling volume, so that you get the volume for last 24 hours of trading, not the volume that starts at zero every day, and/or 2) you can put in a market order for closing that's the max volume for the day.

Another topic is that of the Fermion1 short sale that gave the player "free money" when the stock was de-listed.

And a final topic where clicking someone else's "corporate action" link takes you to your own (thereby making the corporate action of other players unavailable).

If anyone else wants me to address topics concerning the simulator, let me know. If you can school me in your concern/observation, I'll try to bring that topic up on the call.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #749

add more stocks (international ones).
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

Bet I can't do this again ... Down only $2.38 for the day .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg down a bit.jpg (9.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #751

I have an order to sell OSIS at its (then) current price of $68.35 (a loss) because it scares me due to the legal issues. It's been rising fast for days, since announcement of their stock buy back, but I don't care. I'm up to $1,032,341.84.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #752

I chatted with the guy from investopedia yesterday about the simulator. I told him about "the Fermion1 bug" (see previous posts), "the volume starts at zero every day" problem, and the "can't get to other player's corporate action" problem. In a follow-up email I suggested there was also interest in more stocks/international.

He seemed to be interested in getting simulator players to engage in the training and classes that investopedia offers. He was interested in other simulators I've used, and also stock screeners I'm using or have used. Also, why I was using the simulator. I said you guys got me going on it, but that I'd used others.

I offered to be available for more feedback calls. He said that they do plan on making changes to the simulator.

One thing I forgot to say was that I think they should have a one page, "download all", so that I can to my own reports. Right now it takes maybe 5 minutes to "scrape" all the data. It's automated, but still, there's no reason why that amount of data couldn't take just a second if there was a "download entire game" API.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
He seemed to be interested in getting simulator players to engage in the training and classes that investopedia offers.
Like the $199 Investing for Beginners taught by John Jagerson. In the comments section I see he also taught a Become A Day Trader course and on YouTube he teaches forex and options. I don't trust him.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #754

I actually bought SPY but I'm treating it like the stocks I buy and expect to sell it soon.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #755

Quote:
I actually bought SPY but I'm treating it like the stocks I buy and expect to sell it soon.
Bought 1000 shares at $278.09 for $278,094.99, sold the next day at $278.80 for $278,915.01.

I'm currently at $1,043,699.06. I'm just holding two big losers, 12642 of DRAD and 13000 of RNN, that are $35,015.36 of my portfolio.

Nunnun is at $1,197,784.87.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #756

I bought Honeywell when industrials are still going down. Unless it's a tech, which is also going down. It will probably be OK.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #757

Welcome to new player Luckyclub. And I just noticed monitorLizzy but I think she's just monitoring the game.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #758

McDonalds is in trouble. I can tell just from my last three visits to two different locations. It looked like the computerized checkout process was mandatory but I'm guessing it wasn't. The non-tech savvy must hate it. I placed my order and the screen said to take a number. There were none. I looked at the other machines and there were none, yet I saw people on line with numbers. Maybe they got them from the machine in the parking lot.

A few weeks later I need their bathroom again (I like to obey the rules sometimes so I order). I go into the same Mcdonalds and still no numbers at any machine.

A few weeks later I go into a newly renovated Mcdonalds that I thought had closed permanently when I saw it boarded up with no sign. It turned into a big, open, loud space. The computers had numbers but I didn't notice that I was waiting on the pickup line until I'd been standing there for 5-10 minutes. Then I move to the proper line and 5 minutes later I see another guy on the pickup line realized he was on the wrong line. I get my order and move to the pickup line and a minute later that guy called me back to the order line where my coffee was ready to pick up.

I think I'll short Mcdonalds and buy Burger King.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #759
Give me a forum ...

While I'd never base a stock pick on it, I do agree that the new McDonald's self ordering system sucks. I guess they're trying to keep up with Panera or something. Panera's system works better, but still takes 3-4 times longer than ordering from a person. McDonald's system is really buggy and unresponsive, and takes way too many taps to get a simple item. I think I had to poke the screen 8-10 times to order a diet coke. I assume they'll work it out eventually, but as long as I can order from a cashier I'm going to. None of the ones I've been to have it as a mandatory process. If they make it so before getting the system working, I'll buy my diet cokes elsewhere.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #760

Works great in The Netherlands, since several months. Prefer it over the cashier.

They'll work out the kinks in the US.

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote