Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #861
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
About an 89% successful trade record. I was number one for a good amount of time but now...you can see for yourself in recent posts how I compare to nunnun who's an index investor. I have almost two years to catch up which I've been doing steadily for months.
Successful trade record
That's a made up statistic!!
The only thing that matters is $$$.
You don't get to measure any other way. Sorry!

imp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #862
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp4 View Post
Successful trade record
That's a made up statistic!!
The only thing that matters is $$$.
You don't get to measure any other way. Sorry!
You asked about my record. I was number one for months but I didn't keep track of how long. Then I was last. Now I'm somewhere in the middle. I think most people are interested in my position relative to nunnun. I'm behind him but currently, based on recent "made up" statistics, my gains are better than his. Feel free to throw out whatever information you want. It's all meaningful though.

Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #863
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
You asked about my record. I was number one for months but I didn't keep track of how long. Then I was last. Now I'm somewhere in the middle. I think most people are interested in my position relative to nunnun. I'm behind him but currently, based on recent "made up" statistics, my gains are better than his. Feel free to throw out whatever information you want. It's all meaningful though.
It's both true and irrelevant.
Do you measure touchdowns in baseball also
BTW, nunnun's STR is 100%.
Just sayin.......
imp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #864
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For me it's about how well I do compared to a real world benchmark. If everyone looks at each other's trades and trades in weird ways, that just means that I won't care what their results are. As long I know I'm better than one of those index funds. And the more better, the better.
Just went back in time looking through this thread and thought this deserved to be quoted.... isn't Nunnun the "real world index" effectively? Hmm...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #865

Quote:
According to the ranking screenshots and discussion posts, you were number one (or two at times) for 6 weeks, then you had a really bad trade that dropped you to 12th and haven't reached the top since then, FYI.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
According to the ranking screenshots and discussion posts, you were number one (or two at times) for 6 weeks, then you had a really bad trade that dropped you to 12th and haven't reached the top since then, FYI.
That sounds about right but I dropped all the way to the bottom and slowly rose back up to the middle. I think the drop was fast, from a trade or two - like the number of trades that you'd say doesn't mean anything if they were big wins instead of big losers.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #867
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That sounds about right but I dropped all the way to the bottom and slowly rose back up to the middle. I think the drop was fast, from a trade or two - like the number of trades that you'd say doesn't mean anything if they were big wins instead of big losers.
But you've had some big wins in the mix too, right? If not, why not? Or are you taking profits quickly, to lock in small gains, to free the money for the next small/quick gain? If that's the case, it's really not possible to offset the big losers with big winners, is it? So it wouldn't mean anything, if it can't happen.

Hmmm, what was someone (one of the leaders, IIRC), saying about 'exit strategy'?

I really wonder what made you think you could excel at this (yeah, yeah, I know, "it's not over yet")?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But you've had some big wins in the mix too, right? If not, why not? Or are you taking profits quickly, to lock in small gains, to free the money for the next small/quick gain? If that's the case, it's really not possible to offset the big losers with big winners, is it?
I've gained over $100,000 in a day, but I don't keep track.

Quote:
Hmmm, what was someone (one of the leaders, IIRC), saying about 'exit strategy'?

I really wonder what made you think you could excel at this (yeah, yeah, I know, "it's not over yet")?
My real life trading history made me think that, and the circumstances of my big loss. Even now, I'm being hit by the trade war harder than nunnun because I loaded up on Honeywell but I commented within a day of buying it the I wasn't certain about it. It's good to know that I have an alarm that goes off before a drop. I just decided to take a chance on that one. Still, I bought it low and it's just a matter of waiting it out, assuming the contest is long enough.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #869

Quote:
I've gained over $100,000 in a day, but I don't keep track.
Lower overall gains with higher volatility, what's not to like?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Even now, I'm being hit by the trade war harder than nunnun because I loaded up on Honeywell ....
And that is exactly what can (and often does) happen when you are concentrated rather than diversified. Are you ever going to learn?

Quote:
.... Still, I bought it low and it's just a matter of waiting it out, assuming the contest is long enough.
The old saying applies, sometimes the market can be 'irrational' longer than you can stay solvent (or longer than a contest runs?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Lower overall gains with higher volatility, what's not to like?

Time for a friendly game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock?

-ERD50
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #871

Quote:
And that is exactly what can (and often does) happen when you are concentrated rather than diversified. Are you ever going to learn?
A second round of tariffs against China isn't the kind of thing that often happens. I was about even on Honeywell until that happened.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #872
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A second round of tariffs against China isn't the kind of thing that often happens. I was about even on Honeywell until that happened.
There's always things happening in the market that don't often happen, or have never happened before. Read a history book.

Quote:
Are you ever going to learn?
Apparently not.

-ERD50
Old 06-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #873

Quote:
There's always things happening in the market that don't often happen, or have never happened before. Read a history book.
I know how it works. I'm the rock paper scissors guy. You can use the rarity of certain events in your favor. You shouldn't avoid something because something bad may happen when the alternatives are worse. You wouldn't invest at all if you did that.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #874
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...You shouldn't avoid something because something bad may happen when the alternatives are worse. You wouldn't invest at all if you did that.
Agreed. And that's exactly why an index B&H approach has been beating you. It doesn't try to avoid (or jump on) anything. It just stays invested.

Quote:
I know how it works. I'm the rock paper scissors guy. You can use the rarity of certain events in your favor. ... .
This is a contradiction. If you know how it works, and were using these events to your advantage, you would have consistently been ahead of the B&H index.

And, in case you have not noticed... you have consistently been behind the B&H index.

-ERD50
Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #875

Quote:
Apparently not.

-ERD50
I wonder if you'll ever stop being surprised.

Perhaps somewhere on the board someone is wondering if I'll ever stop wondering about you stopping being surprised at him not learning.

Perhaps not.

/s/

Easily Amused Bystander
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #876
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I wonder if you'll ever stop being surprised.

Perhaps somewhere on the board someone is wondering if I'll ever stop wondering about you stopping being surprised at him not learning.

Perhaps not.

/s/

Easily Amused Bystander
Yes, I need to find a support group or something!

At least I can see the humor in it, I'm not sure the contestant does? Or has he been trolling/laughing the whole time? I'm still not sure.

-ERD50
Old 06-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #877

Quote:
Yes, I need to find a support group or something!

At least I can see the humor in it, I'm not sure the contestant does? Or has he been trolling/laughing the whole time? I'm still not sure.

-ERD50
My vote continues to be for a generally pleasant naif.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #878

I don't know what B&H means unless it's Bell & Howell but I don't know how you can say I've been consistently behind anything when I was number one or two for over a month and above nunnun for some undetermined longer time and I've been rising faster than nunnun for months.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #879

Quote:
I don't know what B&H means
Buy and Hold.

And thank you for consistently providing some welcome comic relief here.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #880

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My vote continues to be for a generally pleasant naif.

Something everyone can agree on. Cortana tells me naf is defined as naive or ingenious.