Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,850
Well I'm shocked!

My passive indexing approach where I've done nothing since buying VTI and VOO has me 7th out of 14..........
__________________

__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 20,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho 05-03-2017, 10:55 AM View Post
Here's a freebie: DRAD will go up 2% within a week.
Looks like DRAD did nothing but go down since your proclamation:

Date --------- Open High Low Close
May 12, 2017 4.40 4.45 4.35 4.35
May 11, 2017 4.40 4.50 4.33 4.40
May 10, 2017 4.20 4.55 4.20 4.45
May 09, 2017 4.40 4.55 4.20 4.20
May 08, 2017 4.65 4.65 4.40 4.40
May 05, 2017 4.60 4.65 4.60 4.65
May 04, 2017 4.70 4.70 4.50 4.60
May 03, 2017 4.60 4.75 4.60 4.70

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DRAD/history?p=DRAD

-ERD50
__________________

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 20,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Well I'm shocked!

My passive indexing approach where I've done nothing since buying VTI and VOO has me 7th out of 14..........
Can you post the leader board for the semi-curious (curious, but not curious enough to sign up) among us?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can you post the leader board for the semi-curious (curious, but not curious enough to sign up) among us?

-ERD50
You may feel like Charlton Heston in the scene of end of "The Planet of the Apes" when he sees lady liberty in the sand as of now, Boho is in 1st. Well, he does have the contest named after him so we do need some contest drama.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 20,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
You may feel like Charlton Heston in the scene of end of "The Planet of the Apes" when he sees lady liberty in the sand as of now, Boho is in 1st. Well, he does have the contest named after him so we do need some contest drama.
Thanks, but there is "ahead" and there is "ahead". Does it show % gain/loss of each player, like the other contest did?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks, but there is "ahead" and there is "ahead". Does it show % gain/loss of each player, like the other contest did?

-ERD50
Actually, I think the numbers are more informative than the other place. If you don't mind looking at rankings a day behind instead of "live" at the other contest.

Here's the current rankings but they bounce around pretty much.

To see the nitty gritty, like what folks trade, you gotta sign up. But if you prefer the lawn seats, I guess that's fine too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (311.7 KB, 19 views)
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 20,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Actually, I think the numbers are more informative than the other place. If you don't mind looking at rankings a day behind instead of "live" at the other contest.

Here's the current rankings but they bounce around pretty much.

To see the nitty gritty, like what folks trade, you gotta sign up. But if you prefer the lawn seats, I guess that's fine too.
Thanks - hopefully, nun keeps the VTI & VOO portfolio so we can see how something passive performs long term.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Looks like DRAD did nothing but go down since your proclamation:

Date --------- Open High Low Close
May 12, 2017 4.40 4.45 4.35 4.35
May 11, 2017 4.40 4.50 4.33 4.40
May 10, 2017 4.20 4.55 4.20 4.45
May 09, 2017 4.40 4.55 4.20 4.20
May 08, 2017 4.65 4.65 4.40 4.40
May 05, 2017 4.60 4.65 4.60 4.65
May 04, 2017 4.70 4.70 4.50 4.60
May 03, 2017 4.60 4.75 4.60 4.70

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DRAD/history?p=DRAD

-ERD50
At the time I made my prediction of a 2% increase the price was 4.65. Later that day it rose to 4.75 which is over a 2% increase. I have a sell order for higher than that so I'm still waiting.

And it's now an even better deal, so I still recommend it. It will go up 4% from 4.35 within a week.
Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks - hopefully, nun keeps the VTI & VOO portfolio so we can see how something passive performs long term.

-ERD50
I'm good at doing nothing, so that's my plan. I'm not sure if dividends are reinvested. If not I'll calculate them at the end.
__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,084
Looks like might have a new leader in DieWurst at days end. As of this moment, cracked the $1,040,000 mark.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
And now [DRAD is] an even better deal, so I still recommend it. It will go up 4% from 4.35 within a week.
It reached 4.545 so far today. 4% up from 4.35, if I did the calculation correctly, is only 4.524, so there you go.
Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 20,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
It reached 4.545 so far today. 4% up from 4.35, if I did the calculation correctly, is only 4.524, so there you go.
With the overall market up ~ 1%, I'm sure there are LOTS of individual stocks that are up 4% in that time, as the market is also made up of lots of big less-volatile stocks.

Your original statement was true only on the volatility, it continued down after that little blip.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like might have a new leader in DieWurst at days end. As of this moment, cracked the $1,040,000 mark.
Yes. Mainly from the emerging markets fund VWO. I'm waiting on my CECE to go up.
Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,084
Welcome to the contest Fermion.

Never too late to join . The more the merrier.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #115
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Yes. Mainly from the emerging markets fund VWO. I'm waiting on my CECE to go up.
Ah... an emerging bet.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Welcome to the contest Fermion.

Never too late to join . The more the merrier.
Well, I am nearly the leader on the first contest, so figure I would come win this one too
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #117
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Well, I am nearly the leader on the first contest, so figure I would come win this one too
Definitely worth the try .

Once you get used the the rankings here get posted a day behind, the rest is pretty much smooth sailing.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Once you get used the the rankings here get posted a day behind, the rest is pretty much smooth sailing.
Well, there's also the fact that clicking the history link on the rankings page will show the current account value for the player unless you're checking your own, in which case you have to click My Home. And to view open and failed trades you open the Trade menu but for your trade history you open the Portfolio menu.
Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,964
Not really liking the no volume rule, although I understand why it has to be in place since these are not real trades.

I want to buy 20,000 shares of Endocyte but can't even buy 10,000 because the volume today is only 75,000 shares. The other day it was 2,000,000 shares but I was not playing then.

In real life I would just put in a limit order for 10,000 shares and it would eventually fill during the day no matter what the volume. I have bought 20,000 shares in real life where the volume during the day was only 80,000 shares total.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 722
I just made my second mistaken buy when I wanted to sell. Never did that IRL.
__________________

Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Thoughts on TESLA | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (2 members and 3 guests)
Boho
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Picking ("Beat Boho") Contest easysurfer Stock Picking and Market Strategy 235 04-20-2017 11:06 AM
Ohio waitress wins CNBC stock picking contest cute fuzzy bunny Stock Picking and Market Strategy 21 07-20-2007 11:22 PM
Stock Market Contest 2005 Danny Other topics 103 12-31-2005 03:50 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.