Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #1281
Recycles dryer sheets

I decided to search and I found a site that seems reasonable. I will sign up and if anyone wants to join me please feel free! Especially Boho, since I named the contest after him.

https://www.howthemarketworks.com/register/152523
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #1282
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I decided to search and I found a site that seems reasonable. I will sign up and if anyone wants to join me please feel free! Especially Boho, since I named the contest after him.

I lost confidence in even the most promising looking simulators. This Investopedia will be the last one I try unless an actual brokerage decides to create one.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #1283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Count me in. What do I have lose except Boho's pride?

Going to register and sign up now.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #1284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I lost confidence in even the most promising looking simulators. This Investopedia will be the last one I try unless an actual brokerage decides to create one.
I'm starting the BoHO! BoHO! BoHO! chant in hopes you'll join Spudd's contest so we can see the Boho Shuffle there too .
Old 05-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #1285

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not doing howthemarketworks.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #1286

I found that although I could scrape all players trades, I couldn't scrape corporate actions, except my own. But I forged ahead. But when people were getting stock for free, and it was undetectable, I gave up. I'm not sure I'll invest the time in another game.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #1287
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'll play, ain't my money [emoji16]
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #1288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
I'll play, ain't my money [emoji16]
Now that's the spirit .
Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #1289
Give me a forum ...

I created a new thread for the Stock Picking Contest v3.0 which Spudd created. Here is the thread link for those interested:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...0-a-97638.html
Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #1290

FWIW, I'm still playing this. I have $86,632.69 cash that I'll probably use on Monday for an index fund once the S&P drops to a certain point, like around .7%. I'll probably end up getting it cheaper than that.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #1291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FWIW, I'm still playing this. I have $86,632.69 cash that I'll probably use on Monday for an index fund once the S&P drops to a certain point, like around .7%. I'll probably end up getting it cheaper than that.
FYI - I won't end the Beat Boho v2.0 contest early but will just let that run til the end.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #1292

I've been hating Musk for a long time and finally made a feel-good short of TSLA to reward myself for recent gains.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #1293

I'm at $1,202,621.44. If my calculations are correct, since the start of the contest that's a 20.26% gain for me compared to a 21.82% gain by the S&P. I'm now holding all index funds, mostly S&P, and $829.29 cash. If I keep this position I'd be an average of .52% per year behind the S&P by the end of the contest, with the first year being behind, the second being equal, and the last being ahead. I'm going to try beating it though.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #1294
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm at $1,202,621.44. If my calculations are correct, since the start of the contest that's a 20.26% gain for me compared to a 21.82% gain by the S&P. I'm now holding all index funds, mostly S&P, and $829.29 cash. If I keep this position I'd be an average of .52% per year behind the S&P by the end of the contest, with the first year being behind, the second being equal, and the last being ahead. I'm going to try beating it though.
Would you show your work/source please? I believe that your calculations on the S&P are not correct.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I believe that your calculations on the S&P are not correct.

-ERD50
He didn't include 2 years of dividends on the S&P 500.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #1296

Quote:
Would you show your work/source please? I believe that your calculations on the S&P are not correct.

-ERD50
From stockcharts.com, but I guess I didn't include 2 years of dividends. What's the correct gain for the S&P then?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest.jpg (76.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #1297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From stockcharts.com, but I guess I didn't include 2 years of dividends. What's the correct gain for the S&P then?
Looks like if you select a 'predefined sector', it just gives the NAV.

I assume your url was:

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?$SPX

But when I select SPY, it gives actual total return (performance, including reinvested divs):

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?SPY

It shows 26.89% total return, and nunun's value should reflect that if he hasn't been taken out of the contest due to non-activity. You still have a lot of catching up to do.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #1298
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It shows 26.89% total return, and nunun's value should reflect that if he hasn't been taken out of the contest due to non-activity. You still have a lot of catching up to do.
It's even worse than that. Boho not only got the index performance wrong, but he gives his own portfolio value from the Investopedia rankings page. I went into some detail earlier this month explaining why the Investopedia rankings are hopelessly inaccurate. If Boho took the trouble to make an accurate calculation of his performance, he would be even farther behind the indexes.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
If Boho took the trouble to make an accurate calculation of his performance, he would be even farther behind the indexes.
Because I didn't pay interest on my three or so shorts? I didn't hold them too long. If you'd like to estimate the right account value, I'll go along with that.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #1300
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Because I didn't pay interest on my three or so shorts? I didn't hold them too long. If you'd like to estimate the right account value, I'll go along with that.
Boho, I know that you've been using significant leverage for many months now. In fact, it's the primary reason I think you've improved as an investor over the course of the game - instead of taking crazy fliers on stocks of companies you know absolutely nothing about, you've recently stuck mostly to index investing and have used the very valid strategy of increasing expected return by increasing risk through the use of leverage. It's not your fault that Investopedia has messed up leverage by failing to charge interest on margin accounts.

If you really want to let us know how you're doing, it's well within your power. Just post screen shots of your corporate action history. As far as I know, all of the interest charges are posted there - they just haven't been subtracted from your portfolio value.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote