Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
As of now, by morning I'll have $1,053,040.68 and lawrencewendall will have $1,052,603.14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Could have sworn when I clicked earlier the numbers were reversed .
I stand corrected. But looks like Lawrencewendall is nipping at your heels.
I spoke too early yesterday. Looks like Lawrencewendall did more than just nipping at your heels as will be in first by tomorrow. This time, I'm certain.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, I bought $493,000 of ANW and it dropped over 10% today. Motley Fool says "Shares of Aegean Marine Petroleum Network Inc. Crash (Again) After Yesterday's Bloodbath." So much for needing to beat the computer traders to take advantage of company news. It happened with another stock I own too and less so with practically all stocks I buy on a price drop. Sometimes I sell during the volatility and make a little and sometimes I wait longer and weather the storm.

ANW reminds me of American Ninja Warrior so I like it anyway.
Boho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

$493,000 is a pretty big bet. Win some, lose some, I guess.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Must not have been 10% of $493K or you'd not still be in 3rd place.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Must not have been 10% of $493K or you'd not still be in 3rd place.
Thanks to the volume restrictions my first attempt to buy was rejected, then I tried again and the price had gone down. That was only for about $200,000. Then I checked the day's low or the closing price for the previous day and placed the second half of the order for about that amount and I got it, so I didn't get the worst of it.

This is the third day in a row that it's crashing and the second time I've seen this in a stock that looked like a good deal on the first day. I may change the way I do things and wait longer next time.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks to the volume restrictions my first attempt to buy was rejected, then I tried again and the price had gone down. That was only for about $200,000. Then I checked the day's low or the closing price for the previous day and placed the second half of the order for about that amount and I got it, so I didn't get the worst of it.

This is the third day in a row that it's crashing and the second time I've seen this in a stock that looked like a good deal on the first day. I may change the way I do things and wait longer next time.
Looks like you've fallen off the horse .

Not too late to get back on. But still.... a plop .
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like you've fallen off the horse .

Not too late to get back on. But still.... a plop .
If the contest was six months I'd still bet on myself. I'm not so young but three years still seems like forever.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If the contest was six months I'd still bet on myself. I'm not so young but three years still seems like forever.
But isn't the last three years performance pretty much the standard time frame to see if fund managers have the right stuff?

A lot of luck (good and bad) can happen in six months. That's why a three year contest hopefully captures some more accurate ups and downs in both market cycles and individual picking skills.

Look at the bright side, since we are only about 2 months into a 36 month contest, we are just getting started. Unlike 1/3 over if this was a 6 month contest and a sprint. In other words, kidding aside, at this point of the contest, your slip is just a stumble and not a fall.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #150

I thought the contest was a year. It's good, though, that it's longer. Hopefully I won't lose interest!!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #151

I sold stuff so I could buy more of the stock that caused my fall. I still have faith.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought the contest was a year. It's good, though, that it's longer. Hopefully I won't lose interest!!
Unlike the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles. You can check out anytime you like and leave. But hopefully not, as the more the merrier.

I'm going to stay the course as I want to see how my strategy holds up for 3 years.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #153

One of my stocks went up 20% in after hours. Might move me up the board a notch next week if holds.

Exciting because I own it IRL too.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Okay, time for a leader board update since we are about 2 month into the contest.

Rounded, lawrencewendall is on top at +5%. Fermion is at the bottom at -5%.

Our voluntary baseline (total market investor), nunnun is in 4th place.

I'm sitting where I pretty much expected, "no drama easysurfer" in the middle at 7th place.

Then, of course, there's Boho ... up in the lead group a good part of the two months but encountered a recent wipe out, falling to 12th place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest update.jpg (251.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #155

Is there a way to configure the email so that I only get notified if a trade fails? I didn't see any granularity.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there a way to configure the email so that I only get notified if a trade fails? I didn't see any granularity.
I do not see such a setting.

I don't trade too much, but what I do is have the contest ranking saved as a bookmark on my browser's boomarks toolbar. The rank is just a click away. Then to check failed trades, I click on the 'Trade' link on the left and then click 'Failed Trades". I haven't seen any that failed, but like I said, I don't really trade much.

I know, not as simple as an email notification.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #157

Thanks. I can live with clicking into the failed trades screen.

The failed trades plagued me so far, but I think the problem was that I was doing my trading the morning, and they base what you can trade on the day's volume, which can be really small at the start of the trading day. They really should base it on a rolling total of volume. I did figure out that if I clicked that available volume link (or whatever it's called), it will tell you how much volume is available, but I still occasionally got a failed trade. It would be nice if it would fill it eventually (I put in a market order). Maybe there's a way to do that, but I haven't spent enough time to figure that out.

I've decided to just trade in the afternoon from now on, after much of the day's volume is booked. That way, fewer failed trades to chase-down.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I have the same approach of trading later in the day. I do click on the "show max" option, but no rush to trade at day's open. Prefer now to get a nice shower and breakfast then trade at my own time.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:21 AM   #159

Kindof lost track of that I was in there too after my first failed attempt to load up on shares (due to incomprehensible trade limits). So only had DB, and the rest cash.

Just put in my second attempt, four buys and sell DB. Entered less than half "max" amount, hope it works this time.

If it succeeds you will witness the awesome power of random dart throwing Totoro style.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #160

Grrr .. even at reduced volume it bounces half my trades.

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote