Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

Been following this off and on for a few months now. Seems - at the moment anyway - the 'stock pickers' (which doesn't necessarily mean 'active traders') are rising toward the top and the people just holding the broad indexes are staying in the middle.

I like this game since I've been curious if people (like me) pick stocks and beat the average index? This will get more interesting once we get out of bull market territory and into a bear market.

Been following this off and on for a few months now. Seems - at the moment anyway - the 'stock pickers' (which doesn't necessarily mean 'active traders') are rising toward the top and the people just holding the broad indexes are staying in the middle.

I like this game since I've been curious if people (like me) pick stocks and beat the average index? This will get more interesting once we get out of bull market territory and into a bear market.

You don't have to wait for a bear market, and you don't need to try to base anything at all on this too-small sample size.

Just do a search on "active versus passive trading" - you'll find dozens of well done independent, long-term studies. "Active" doesn't necessarily infer "often", it just means using some 'action' to select the stocks.

I suspect you already know what you'll find ;). I don't think Boho has figured it out yet.

-ERD50

You don't have to wait for a bear market, and you don't need to try to base anything at all on this too-small sample size.

Just do a search on "active versus passive trading" - you'll find dozens of well done independent, long-term studies. "Active" doesn't necessarily infer "often", it just means using some 'action' to select the stocks.

I suspect you already know what you'll find ;). I don't think Boho has figured it out yet.

-ERD50

Thanks, you just make me realize I should sell Random Walk on Ebay instead of it gathering dust. That is if the crappy paper didn't disintegrate already.

What I figured out was that my trade success rate is 89%. If all my trades are for equal amounts, I don't see how I can lose. But I think I'm good enough to adjust the amounts as I see fit. That's basically what I'm testing with this contest at this point.

I have no strategy, I came into the game year late, but I figure beating Boho is the goal of the game, I got that going for me so far.

I can into the game on the worst day, I just randomly grabbed stocks as market buys, 2 hours at market open I lost 100k.

Last month was to grab 10% or better gains.

This month I went thru everyone's losers and plan to buy those.

I'm also learning shorting.

What I figured out was that my trade success rate is 89%. If all my trades are for equal amounts, I don't see how I can lose. But I think I'm good enough to adjust the amounts as I see fit. That's basically what I'm testing with this contest at this point.

What I figured out was that my trade success rate is 89%. If ...

If I were a rich man, da-da-da-da-da-da-da-dah-dee....

"If's" don't mean nothin' in real life.

What I figured out was that my trade success rate is 89%. If all my trades are for equal amounts, I don't see how I can lose. ....

You need to get your 'vision' checked, I can see all sorts of ways.

1) You don't make all your trades at equal amounts.

2) You don't keep hitting 89%.

3) Even if you do, 89% times X% gain might not 'lose' in absolute terms, but if it doesn't beat the market (Buy & Hold couch potato style), than you did lose in opportunity cost, and time spent planing these buys/sells.

4) You are not beating the B&H market, so whatcha' talkin' 'bout Willis?

I'll try that strategy at the horse races... Hey, if 89% of my bets are successful, I can't lose!

sigh

-ERD50

Unfortunately, I can't pile on Boho this today as he is one notch ahead of me in the standings :(.

We'll see how long this will last before I can say "I told you so" again.

Unfortunately, I can't pile on Boho this today as he is one notch ahead of me in the standings :(.

We'll see how long this will last before I can say "I told you so" again.

I don't ever plan on an "I told you so" moment. As I've said all along, this is too small a sample size and probably won't encompass enough market cycles to mean much of anything. About all I expect is that some stock pickers will do better than the market, and some will do worse than the market. But I won't be surprised if it isn't an even distribution, again, too small of a sample to expect that.

But Boho's bravado should have had him get in the lead right from the start, hold it, and grow it. It hasn't. It might have, that's what can happen with a concentrated portfolio. But it didn't.

-ERD50

If I was playing with my money I would be trading differently, I'm going at this with recklessly.

I don't ever plan on an "I told you so" moment. As I've said all along, this is too small a sample size and probably won't encompass enough market cycles to mean much of anything. About all I expect is that some stock pickers will do better than the market, and some will do worse than the market. But I won't be surprised if it isn't an even distribution, again, too small of a sample to expect that.

But Boho's bravado should have had him get in the lead right from the start, hold it, and grow it. It hasn't. It might have, that's what can happen with a concentrated portfolio. But it didn't.

-ERD50

If you believe this not meaningful why not just let it go?

-ERD50

Meaningful or not, at the end, I still want an "I told you so" moment :cool:.

If you believe this not meaningful why not just let it go?

Because I find the people I share this planet with fascinating. I'm curious what makes them tick. Reason enough?

And on a more practical level, when someone I know starts up a discussion on something like this (it happens occasionally), these on-line discussions are good practice - I've already thought through some of the information that I might want to share with them. So I can do it w/o a lot of ummmm, let me think about that, ohhh....

And I tell them if they ask, I do not give financial advice, but if they are interested, I will provide information, sources, etc. And if they really push, I might tell them what I would do, but stress that might not be the right thing for them to do, and why.

So why should I 'let it go'? There's lots to learn from these discussions.

Perhaps it is you who should 'let go' of telling people to 'let it go'?

-ERD50

-ERD50

I'm not following your logic here; too small a sample size for what? This game is about 'Beating Boho' - and while you are at it - as many other competitors as you can. Fortunately for the B&H crowd, Boho is not currently one of the better stock picker's so there is some mildly interesting discussion about how the B&H gang might actually beat Boho and maybe Boho should adopt a B&H strategy instead.

Your expectation that some stock pickers will do better and others will do worse is obvious. That's why it's a game! :facepalm:Not unlike tennis, golf, or any other competitive endeavor.

What is interesting to me is that I believe some players will consistently beat the average and other players will not. It's nice that you can try investing ideas without actually losing real money and hopefully you will learn from the skilled moves and mistakes of the other players. I don't think the winners and losers of the game will be a random event.

I might eventually start posting the return that a true broad market index investor would have in this contest. I don't think most index investors would have so much cash. Nunnun is over-protected from market dips.

Beat Boho - nunnun's Trade History...
Account Value (USD) $1,200,488.14
Cash $20,596.34

I might eventually start posting the return that a true broad market index investor would have in this contest. I don't think most index investors would have so much cash. Nunnun is over-protected from market dips.

Did you slip a decimal point? How is nunnun over-protected with cash?

Beat Boho - nunnun's Trade History...
Account Value (USD) $1,200,488.14
Cash $20,596.34
That's ~ 1.7% cash (probably divs he didn't get around to re-investing).

Boho, you're still 'winning' in the 'excuse contest'! :)

I'm not following your logic here; too small a sample size for what? This game is about 'Beating Boho' - and while you are at it - as many other competitors as you can. Fortunately for the B&H crowd, Boho is not currently one of the better stock picker's so there is some mildly interesting discussion about how the B&H gang might actually beat Boho and maybe Boho should adopt a B&H strategy instead.

Your expectation that some stock pickers will do better and others will do worse is obvious. That's why it's a game! :facepalm:Not unlike tennis, golf, or any other competitive endeavor.

What is interesting to me is that I believe some players will consistently beat the average and other players will not. It's nice that you can try investing ideas without actually losing real money and hopefully you will learn from the skilled moves and mistakes of the other players. I don't think the winners and losers of the game will be a random event.

There was an underlying theme in previous posts/threads that led to this contest that it would say something about beating the market. If you don't beat the market, what's the point? Some are treating it as a game, and have said as much - taking riskier positions than they would in real life, giving them a chance at winning by swinging for the fences. A few took a conservative approach, figuring they may win if the market drops in the contest time frame. I don't challenge any of them, as they were upfront with what they were doing - playing a game.

If you had read Boho's bravado posts about his innate skills in reading human behavior patterns (he can win at Rock Paper Scissors!), and how certain he was he could turn this into successful trading, well, it's hard to not want to poke that from time to time.

You can skip my posts, or put me on ignore. No big deal as far as I'm concerned. I'm just another poster with some thoughts.

To your last point (if you are still listening!), I'm not so sure someone can learn much about investing from a contest like this - what 'worked' in one market might not work in another. It might have been 'luck' (let's just call it volatility that comes with a concentrated portfolio). I prefer to look at big studies, and think it through in terms of logic (if you can 'know' what a stock is doing, won't others also know - driving up the price and eliminating opportunities for excess gains?). With lots of smart people and fast computers focused on this, I think it is a bit crazy to think one can win (edit - "consistently win") beyond the market returns.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Did you slip a decimal point? How is nunnun over-protected with cash?

That's ~ 1.7% cash (probably divs he didn't get around to re-investing).

I didn't do the math. It seemed high in the past and someone else mentioned that nunnun should reinvest his cash and I decided to mention it now because I started thinking about the advantage it may give him. His cash may be lower now than it had been.

On smart people and powerful computers, I just sold a tarp for a profit on Ebay. That model tarp got bad reviews, which were shown on my product page, and I was competing with cheaper Chinese tarps. I'm a small time seller with 10 products for sale and a feedback rating of 21. I didn't buy tarps for a quantity discount. Just at the dollar store. I don't buy the "can't compete" argument and I don't think anyone claims the market to be 100% efficient anyway.

I didn't do the math. ...

Interesting. So you haven't done the math, yet you comment on it, calling it "so much cash", and says he's "over-protected from market dips"? Without even doing a rough estimate in your head?

Investing is about numbers. If you don't do the numbers, what to expect?

I'm still wondering if you are trolling us.

... I started thinking about the advantage it may give him. ...

Advantage? Cash is a drag in the long run. Are you not aware of that? Seriously? Sure, having cash at the right time helps. That's market timing, and clearly nunnun is not following that approach.

.... I don't buy the "can't compete" argument and I don't think anyone claims the market to be 100% efficient anyway.

I don't claim the market is 100% efficient. And I don't care who does or does not.

I really don't claim anything. I only suggest that people look up the data for themselves. Let the data talk. The data says that stock picking just does not hold up to scrutiny. Sure, some will succeed. That's expected. You'll also find lots of survivor bias in the anecdotes.

Here's a thought for a contest - "The Biggest Loser". Select 10 stocks to hold for one year, and the goal is to lose the most $ in that one year :) . I would not be surprised if the outcomes/distributions were not too different from the contests where winning is the goal. There have been some studies to suggest the currently viewed losers outperform later - they exceed the low expectations.

-ERD50

Here's a thought for a contest - "The Biggest Loser". Select 10 stocks to hold for one year, and the goal is to lose the most $ in that one year :) . I would not be surprised if the outcomes/distributions were not too different from the contests where winning is the goal.

Conceptually, trying to pick losing companies is as hard as trying to pick winning companies.

If you can do one, you by definition can do the other.

Conceptually, trying to pick losing companies is as hard as trying to pick winning companies.

If you can do one, you by definition can do the other.

Exactly, that's why I think it could be interesting. -ERD50

Interesting. So you haven't done the math, yet you comment on it, calling it "so much cash", and says he's "over-protected from market dips"? Without even doing a rough estimate in your head?

Investing is about numbers. If you don't do the numbers, what to expect?

My skills transcend math. In the contest I try to buy about $200,000 - $300,000 of each of my stocks by adjusting the maximum down a bit. I'm often off since the max depends on volume and I'm lazy with the math but I'm still gaining ground.

Advantage? Cash is a drag in the long run. Are you not aware of that?

People who time the market like myself think they know when cash is good, and we need cash for trading, but I actually changed my trading because of what I heard about cash being a drag. I try to stay more invested than I used to. That's one of the reason's I bought an index fund in this contest a few times and why I was intending to hold an international fund for a decent amount of time (I changed plans about the latter).

My skills transcend math. ...
Oh, to answer one of the previous posts, this is why I follow this thread, for these pearls of wisdom! :LOL:

When DW gets home, I will calmly say - "My skills transcend making the bed and putting the dishes away!" That's the ticket.

... People who time the market like myself think they know when cash is good, and we need cash for trading, but I actually changed my trading because of what I heard about cash being a drag. I try to stay more invested than I used to. That's one of the reason's I bought an index fund in this contest a few times and why I was intending to hold an international fund for a decent amount of time (I changed plans about the latter).

So you thought you knew when cash was good, until someone mentioned otherwise? That's conviction for you!

Notice that nunnun has not changed strategy? Notice that he's ahead of you? You ought to look around, observe, study, and learn. Or do you 'transcend' that too?

I still can't decide if this is 'fun' or not.

-ERD50

To your last point (if you are still listening!), I'm not so sure someone can learn much about investing from a contest like this - what 'worked' in one market might not work in another. It might have been 'luck' (let's just call it volatility that comes with a concentrated portfolio). I prefer to look at big studies, and think it through in terms of logic (if you can 'know' what a stock is doing, won't others also know - driving up the price and eliminating opportunities for excess gains?). With lots of smart people and fast computers focused on this, I think it is a bit crazy to think one can win (edit - "consistently win") beyond the market returns.

-ERD50

Umm, yea I'm still listening - reading actually. :rolleyes: I think you can actually learn a lot from a contest like this. Things like stock tips, especially when people take the time to explain their reasons for buying and selling. You can get a feel for other's level of anxiety or greed in various market situations and see how they react. You can also see how disciplined you are in various scenarios and how well you actually react vs how you thought you might react.

Per your original implication that passive traders always win and active traders lose; this may be true on average and over the long run. But as Keynes famously said; "In the long run we are all dead.". What matters in this game is how well you play over this time period and with this existing market.

As I've already said, I think the skilled players will rise to the top of this game and the B&H indexers will be slightly 'above the average'. I may be wrong, but that's why I'm playing the game.

I've got no problem with friendly banter between you and Boho (or others); it's often fun to watch. However, I hope the whole thread is not just about the 'active trader vs passive trader' meme without giving oxygen to the traders who actually want to 'Beat Boho' with what they think are superior trading skills.

Umm, yea I'm still listening - reading actually. :rolleyes: I think you can actually learn a lot from a contest like this. Things like stock tips, especially when people take the time to explain their reasons for buying and selling. You can get a feel for other's level of anxiety or greed in various market situations and see how they react. You can also see how disciplined you are in various scenarios and how well you actually react vs how you thought you might react. ...

I suppose, but if you B&H, most of that doesn't apply. Seems moot to me. OK, a practicing B&H'er can be affected by emotion and might do something like sell at the low, but I don;t see where individual stocks versus funds come into play in that. It's a common theme.

... Per your original implication that passive traders always win and active traders lose; ...
I never said that (and I'm a 'never say never' person). I've always said there will be a distribution across active traders, some winners some losers. With a large enough sample size and time period, I'd expect an approximate log-normal curve.

... this may be true on average and over the long run. But as Keynes famously said; "In the long run we are all dead.". What matters in this game is how well you play over this time period and with this existing market. ....

Well, long run is the real game we all play. My point is (other than entertainment), I don't think that a game "you play over this time period and with this existing market" will teach us much about the real, long run game.

As I've already said, I think the skilled players will rise to the top of this game and the B&H indexers will be slightly 'above the average'. I may be wrong, but that's why I'm playing the game. ...

What I've deduced form all the studies, and by putting thought into this, is there is no such thing as a 'skilled' stock-picker (or at least they are super-rare).

It's not like being a carpenter, dentist, plumber, musician, or doctor. Those are skills that can be developed and honed with education, experience, tools, practice. But when you pick a stock, you are trying to predict the future - that is not a skill set that can be developed and honed.

Because it's not about picking 'good stocks'. Good stocks are already bought up to levels that will make it hard for them to beat the market (on average). If you think you can pick overlooked good stocks, now you are in competition with those smart people with deep resources.

A preemptive strike: I expect to hear "we can agree to disagree on that", but I say you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with all the studies that show this.

... However, I hope the whole thread is not just about the 'active trader vs passive trader' meme without giving oxygen to the traders who actually want to 'Beat Boho' with what they think are superior trading skills.

Well, for me, the thing to take-away is the active-passive 'meme' (if you want to call it that). But it would be interesting to hear from the top and bottom players, especially the consistent top players. Was it mostly one or two good trades? Are they consistently trading well?

Here's a thought - This is a 3 year contest, right? How about a new 3 year contest is started every 6 months, or maybe every three months, and players (other than a few passive index benchmark players) agree not to trade the same stocks across contests. Can they consistently find under-valued 'good stocks'?

-ERD50

Last edited:
If you haven't decided exactly when you'd get out of a trade, you have no exit strategy for a loss. I'd wager that's your current condition based on your responses here. That's not how you take a calculated risk, it's a method of "hoping for the best".

Exnavynuke, do you have an exit strategy for a gain? Are you planning to hold your indexes (and leveraged indexes) till the end or have you already set an exit price?

I ask since I feel like I'm fairly comfortable about timing a 'buy', but want to get more practice with a 'sell'.

Recent example in my portfolio is Zscaler (ZS). Not a company I know a whole lot about, but it seemed to fit the narrow segment I'm most excited about investing in; cloud centric networking hardware. They had a big jump yesterday and I'm torn between riding it out for more possible upside or just taking my gains...

K$|counts|best|worst
Player|Rank|Value of All|Value of:Open|Cash Balance|Average Cash
comsecga|
1​
|
$1,770K​
|
$777K​
|
$-101K​
|
$-42K​
|
Totoro_ERF|
2​
|
$1,478K​
|
$1,310K​
|
$168K​
|
$131K​
|
exnavynuke|
3​
|
$1,385K​
|
$1,164K​
|
$-285K​
|
$-362K​
|
cfahey27|
5​
|
$1,287K​
|
$501K​
|
$9K​
|
$420K​
|
kite_rider|
6​
|
$1,285K​
|
$1,163K​
|
$-201K​
|
$564K​
|
lbymfreddie|
7​
|
$1,262K​
|
$1,254K​
|
$8K​
|
$67K​
|
Fermion|
9​
|
$1,240K​
|
$241K​
|
$264K​
|
$591K​
|
covert1|
8​
|
$1,208K​
|
$1,013K​
|
$0K​
|
$109K​
|
nunnun|
10​
|
$1,207K​
|
$1,213K​
|
$21K​
|
$13K​
|
sengsational|
11​
|
$1,189K​
|
$1,064K​
|
$59K​
|
$25K​
|
Spudd|
13​
|
$1,179K​
|
$1,176K​
|
$3K​
|
$210K​
|
DieWurst|
12​
|
$1,172K​
|
$606K​
|
$-0K​
|
$4K​
|
ransil|
14​
|
$1,128K​
|
$713K​
|
$410K​
|
$876K​
|
NormYoung|
17​
|
$1,092K​
|
$986K​
|
$106K​
|
$861K​
|
easysurfer|
16​
|
$1,091K​
|
$551K​
|
$120K​
|
$258K​
|
BohoII|
15​
|
$1,089K​
|
$478K​
|
$280K​
|
$287K​
|
cdailey|
18​
|
$1,081K​
|
$578K​
|
$-792K​
|
$469K​
|
nvestysly|
19​
|
$1,068K​
|
$864K​
|
$5K​
|
$369K​
|
KCScubaSteve|
20​
|
$1,059K​
|
$1,059K​
|
$1K​
|
$921K​
|
lawrencewendall|
21​
|
$1,045K​
|
$1,512K​
|
$-580K​
|
$-538K​
|
Clone2|
23​
|
$1,007K​
|
$997K​
|
$10K​
|
$624K​
|
RiskyBusinessC2|
22​
|
$1,007K​
|
$747K​
|
$260K​
|
$548K​
|
RISP|
31​
|
$731K​
|
$711K​
|
$20K​
|
$-180K​
|
Fermion1|
4​
|
$667K​
|
$738K​
|
$-121K​
|
$294K​
|
|
Current Open|Long Trades|Short Trades|Option Trades|R/T Trades|R/T-Unique Stocks
2​
|
27​
|
4​
|
0​
|
13​
|
12​
|
2​
|
11​
|
0​
|
0​
|
4​
|
4​
|
3​
|
12​
|
0​
|
0​
|
5​
|
3​
|
0​
|
5​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
9​
|
14​
|
0​
|
1​
|
1​
|
1​
|
5​
|
26​
|
0​
|
0​
|
8​
|
4​
|
1​
|
2​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
3​
|
13​
|
0​
|
0​
|
1​
|
1​
|
0​
|
2​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
28​
|
141​
|
1​
|
0​
|
63​
|
40​
|
10​
|
102​
|
4​
|
5​
|
59​
|
38​
|
2​
|
9​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
23​
|
66​
|
1​
|
0​
|
28​
|
4​
|
6​
|
7​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
2​
|
18​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
2​
|
309​
|
2​
|
0​
|
173​
|
82​
|
6​
|
12​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
16​
|
26​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
5​
|
5​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
7​
|
19​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
2​
|
2​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
0​
|
3​
|
5​
|
2​
|
15​
|
7​
|
6​
|
6​
|
38​
|
8​
|
1​
|
21​
|
13​
|
0​
|
16​
|
2​
|
0​
|
10​
|
4​
|
|
Ticker Stock|Gain Loss|Gain/Loss Percent
SHOP|
$233K​
|
130%​
|
MAT|
$192K​
|
38%​
|
FAS|
$163K​
|
46%​
|
AAPL|
$41K​
|
9%​
|
ANET|
$101K​
|
32%​
|
BOFI|
$373K​
|
76%​
|
none|
$0K​
|
?%​
|
MNKD|
$69K​
|
31%​
|
VOO|
$108K​
|
21%​
|
IRMD|
$26K​
|
54%​
|
CNCE|
$66K​
|
31%​
|
VNQI|
$47K​
|
14%​
|
NVDA|
$22K​
|
10%​
|
FB|
$31K​
|
19%​
|
VXUS|
$23K​
|
9%​
|
ANW|
$25K​
|
4%​
|
PYPL|
$3K​
|
10%​
|
INTC|
$28K​
|
56%​
|
TSLA|
$33K​
|
13%​
|
SDYL|
$9K​
|
15%​
|
CAT|
$1K​
|
0%​
|
NAVI|
$7K​
|
6%​
|
BXC|
$39K​
|
57%​
|
NVDA|
$297K​
|
33%​
|
|
Ticker Stock|Gain Loss|Gain/Loss Percent
GIMO|
$-59K​
|
-21%​
|
DB|
$11K​
|
6%​
|
SOXL|
$-36K​
|
-7%​
|
AAPL|
$41K​
|
9%​
|
BOTZ|
$-0K​
|
-1%​
|
TEVA|
$-163K​
|
-51%​
|
CLSN|
$-254K​
|
-51%​
|
O|
$11K​
|
4%​
|
VTI|
$106K​
|
21%​
|
ICON|
$-23K​
|
-70%​
|
BB|
$-101K​
|
-20%​
|
VEU|
$26K​
|
13%​
|
FTR|
$-4K​
|
-6%​
|
VWO|
$-4K​
|
-4%​
|
BND|
$-11K​
|
-4%​
|
RAD|
$-163K​
|
-26%​
|
JNJ|
$-32K​
|
-11%​
|
CPB|
$-12K​
|
-25%​
|
AAPL|
$3K​
|
1%​
|
PSEC|
$-55K​
|
-16%​
|
DE|
$-3K​
|
-1%​
|
EDF|
$-41K​
|
-9%​
|
LB|
$-24K​
|
-24%​
|
KITE|
$-312K​
|
133%​
|

And there's an active player here:

Player|Rank|Stock|Start|Start$|End|End/Now$|Difference|Gain/Loss
ransil|
14​
|
ADOM​
|
05/23/2018​
|
24,000​
|
Open​
|
25,800​
|
1,800​
|
8%​
|
||
CGC​
|
06/07/2018​
|
60,630​
|
Open​
|
59,200​
|
-1,430​
|
-2%​
|
||
CIT​
|
05/06/2018​
|
35,387​
|
Open​
|
36,211​
|
824​
|
2%​
|
||
CSCO​
|
04/02/2018​
|
85,050​
|
Open​
|
89,660​
|
4,610​
|
5%​
|
||
CX​
|
04/30/2018​
|
35,690​
|
Open​
|
36,720​
|
1,030​
|
3%​
|
||
DBX​
|
05/13/2018​
|
62,090​
|
Open​
|
61,660​
|
-430​
|
-1%​
|
||
DRYS​
|
04/02/2018​
|
2,960​
|
05/21/2018​
|
3,187​
|
226​
|
8%​
|
||
EBIO​
|
04/05/2018​
|
6,515​
|
Open​
|
13,825​
|
7,310​
|
112%​
|
||
ECYT​
|
06/06/2018​
|
-12,720​
|
Open​
|
-14,690​
|
-1,970​
|
15%​
|
||
EVC​
|
05/31/2018​
|
35,700​
|
Open​
|
40,500​
|
4,800​
|
13%​
|
||
F​
|
04/02/2018​
|
55,315​
|
Open​
|
60,470​
|
5,155​
|
9%​
|
||
FB​
|
04/02/2018​
|
156,252​
|
04/27/2018​
|
173,635​
|
17,383​
|
11%​
|
||
FLEX​
|
05/25/2018​
|
69,350​
|
Open​
|
70,300​
|
950​
|
1%​
|
||
FTR​
|
05/24/2018​
|
65,840​
|
Open​
|
62,160​
|
-3,680​
|
-6%​
|
||
GE​
|
04/02/2018​
|
134,520​
|
Open​
|
149,079​
|
14,559​
|
11%​
|
||
HTBX​
|
05/09/2018​
|
37,515​
|
Open​
|
43,380​
|
5,865​
|
16%​
|
||
JPM​
|
04/08/2018​
|
120,888​
|
Open​
|
121,209​
|
321​
|
0%​
|
||
MU​
|
04/02/2018​
|
103,095​
|
Open​
|
112,619​
|
9,524​
|
9%​
|
||
NATI​
|
05/16/2018​
|
41,000​
|
Open​
|
43,430​
|
2,430​
|
6%​
|
||
NTNX​
|
04/02/2018​
|
48,295​
|
Open​
|
59,981​
|
11,686​
|
24%​
|
||
NVDA​
|
04/02/2018​
|
226,473​
|
05/10/2018​
|
248,482​
|
22,010​
|
10%​
|
||
QCOM​
|
04/23/2018​
|
5,105​
|
Open​
|
6,178​
|
1,073​
|
21%​
|
||
SO​
|
05/18/2018​
|
21,355​
|
Open​
|
21,720​
|
365​
|
2%​
|
||
SPOT​
|
04/05/2018​
|
29,270​
|
Open​
|
32,361​
|
3,091​
|
11%​
|
||
UPL​
|
05/19/2018​
|
106,925​
|
Open​
|
122,930​
|
16,005​
|
15%​
|
||
USB​
|
04/30/2018​
|
44,759​
|
Open​
|
46,107​
|
1,348​
|
3%​
|
||
XOM​
|
04/02/2018​
|
74,280​
|
04/05/2018​
|
75,640​
|
1,360​
|
2%​
|

Exnavynuke, do you have an exit strategy for a gain? Are you planning to hold your indexes (and leveraged indexes) till the end or have you already set an exit price?

I ask since I feel like I'm fairly comfortable about timing a 'buy', but want to get more practice with a 'sell'.

Recent example in my portfolio is Zscaler (ZS). Not a company I know a whole lot about, but it seemed to fit the narrow segment I'm most excited about investing in; cloud centric networking hardware. They had a big jump yesterday and I'm torn between riding it out for more possible upside or just taking my gains...

My plan is to hold these positions through the end of the contest.

In real life, my plan is quite similar (though not leveraged). I plan to hold the index funds long-term and sell as needed to fund withdrawals in retirements. This works well when dealing with long-term positions.

Trades, unlike investments, are much more volatile, and thus necessitate planning to control risk. The planning necessary to be successful long-term trading needs to control both entry and exit points as well as portfolio management. That's what allows risk management when trading, while indexing over the long-term provides risk management in investing (by controlling asset allocation, diversification etc etc).

As a general rule, no one knows what will happen to a given stock in the future. They could have an "enron-level" bad press day tomorrow or they could announce the cure for cancer tomorrow. Or they could just chug along with the overall market, sometimes outperforming and sometimes under-performing. When trading, that volatility provides much higher risk and thus has to be controlled in some manner to be successful long-term.

Now, lots of people can be successful in a bull market, as picking "winners" is easy (as long as your definition of winner is you make money). You can even find a good number of people who develop methods of picking winners that outperform "overall", but they're going to pick losers too. That's why the strategy has to control entries AND exits for all trades, because ten stocks, held for 10 days each, giving 10% returns when investing each and invested one right after the other can still result in a loss if your eleventh pick loses 75% in 5 days before you decide to give up on it... or a 100% loss if you let it keep going until bankruptcy.

IMO, picking stocks is the "easy" part of trading. Managing risk for long-term success is the hard part. Getting a 60-75% success rate with trades wasn't that hard when I was a trader. Learning to manage risk overall so those winners resulted in a winning portfolio wasn't too difficult, once I recognized that needed to be done. Trying to justify the time needed to be successful at both of those things vs the returns available with index investing, however, proved to be a fruitless endeavor for me so I switched to index investing instead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom