Join Early Retirement Today
Substantially Identical
Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Substantially Identical

If the market goes down in the next 2 weeks I may want to sell my VOO for tax loss harvesting and then immediately buy VTI. I believe VOO tracks the S&P 500 while VTI represents the entire domestic stock market so they shouldn't be substantially identical, right? I'm new to taxable investing so any advice would be welcome. Thanks

aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
my uneducated guess is that it won't be a wash sale

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
(Albert Einstein)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
The IRS does not provide great examples, but those should be different enough from what I've heard
“Remember where you came from, where you're going, and why you created this mess you got yourself into in the first place.”
― Richard Bach, Illusions
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I suggest a little tax arbitrage because of different ex-dividend dates for some ETFs. Since VV is a great replacement for VTI and not substantially identical, VTI and VV are a great tax-loss harvesting pair. But wait! There's more!

VV goes ex-dividend on 12/17 while VTI & VOO go ex-dividend on 12/21. So one can avoid the dividend distribution of both VTI and VV if one sells VTI on 12/17 or 18 and buys VV then. If one has lots of shares of VTI, this could save you some more money on taxes.

Actually, this is such a good idea, I think I am going to do it myself.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You will be safe, they are drastically different.

If you buy and sell the same identical fund in 2 different accounts like regular accnt and ira or 401K account that would be an issue.
Or if you could find 2 funds that held the same stocks and the same number of stocks in slightly different proportions that would also be an issue.

Just my opinion.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote