Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it's joint investments, then we should treat discussion differently. The increase in family wealth may entirely be the spouse's acumen. Maybe he came into large cash proceeds in 2008, did research, and was rewarded for his efforts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've got this craving for pork chops and applesauce for dinner tonight

Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
This is missing the point of the thread and hijacking it into political commentary. Time and time again asset allocation, low cost mutual funds is the sure way to go to secure a retirement.
What point of the thread? The OP simply said that Rice has more money than other appointees. The responses to that bounced around from it would be better to ER to bacon burning. I don't see any coherent trend to this thread at all. So how is saying he appreciates the willingness of people with money to serve in the public sector a hijack? And what is political about such a statement?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #24

Maybe we should all try to get back on the intended topic.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In an age when money is so important to so many it is difficult to attract highly qualified people to hold public office. An independently wealth person choosing to serve the greater good through public service can be a great benefit. I'm grateful she has made this choice.
+1

Still, I'd likely choose FIRE... Sounds like the greater good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
This is missing the point of the thread and hijacking it into political commentary. Time and time again asset allocation, low cost mutual funds is the sure way to go to secure a retirement.

From what I have found her wealth has gone from about 8 million in 2006 to 44 million today. And she has done this primarily by investing in individual stocks. Indeed in that time frame in 2007 - 2008 while everyone else was losing money she had a huge percentage of her portfolio in Canadian Oil and banks and actually increased her portfolio.

The interesting thing is she is required by the government to disclose all of her investments and because she has been in government since 2008 you can track her actual portfolio and if one wanted to one could learn how one of the most educated and intelligent people in the world is investing their money.
The point of this thread was to discuss those points not to stray into the political, that is why I posted this in the individual stock threads.
I would readily concede that concentrated positions in the "right" companies is a good way to get uber wealthy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I would like Julia Lous-Dreyfuss in the Cabinet as she is worth approx $2.9 billion and has played a vice-president on tv.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Maybe we should all try to get back on the intended topic.
Wouldn't that sort of be a first for the FIRE forum?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Michael Burry-like focus on individual stock investing led me to starting a thread which in hindsight I should not have, due to the subject of the post. I am much more prone to think only of the act of investing itself and the ways to benefit in analyzing various portfolios and ideas. But I can see what I find as fascinating details are really to most members not very interesting.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #29